Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I know that Model 70s dominate this subforum. I am putting a 1930s era Winchester 61 on layaway today. I am buying it for $750.00. It has a couple of scratches on the receiver but it looks like it has mainly just been a safe queen forever. Its serial number is 734X so I think that it is of early manufacture. It also has a rounded top rather than the grooved top that was easier for scope mounting. I have quite a few 94s, 71s, 70s, prewar 70s, Pre64 70s, Model 52s but I don't have a 61. I see the prices for far less gun in more questionable condition as being higher on GI and GB. Everything is straight and tight. I am just wondering what other people think of them.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
That's an early First year 1932 mfg. Model 61. Caliber? .22 S, L, LR, WRF, or Mag. Cal.
Sound to me like you've done very well on the $$.
A lot of fun to shoot and Collect!
Would love to see pics!

HS 58

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 03/29/23.

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm not much for any sort of pump rifle, but had to make an exception for the 61 I've had for many years. I think mine's a late 1940's model. It's quite accurate, my #1 criteria for any rifle. I paid little for mine; it was in with six or seven other long guns when purchased. I don't believe I had ever seen or heard of a 61 previously. I'm not up on prices and have little idea what these guns sell for, but to reproduce a gun like the 61 with metal and wood and quality work today would cost a lot more than most would pay for a .22.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
The Model 61 was derived from the Browning Trombone Model originated as another John Browning Design.

HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
They're way up there on my lengthy wish list of Winchesters. At the top of .22 list. I'd like to see pictures too.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An ungrooved 61 isn’t that hard to scope if you have a competent gunsmith that can drill and tap the receiver. Actually I think it looks even better than the later grooved 61’s with a scope. I have a 61 and a 2-7x33 Leupold Rimfire and that competent gunsmith. The Weaver base chart calls for the rear base on the receiver and the front base on the barrel. I got looking at that scope, turrets, eye relief and that receiver and didn’t see why one of those rear bases couldn’t also be used as a front base on the receiver. My gunsmith thought the same thing and it works perfectly with that scope mounted low.

I grew up with an open sighted Winchester 62A and enjoyed looking down into the action chambering cartridges. The eyes and mentality of a 12 year old perfectly content with open sights have aged into thinking that a scoped 61 would be way better.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Sounds like a great buy!

My Father has a 61 22 Mag that is his favorite by far. He refuses to scope it even though it is "grooved." It is no wonder that no one can make anything similar nowadays in a mainstream production rimfire... too much machining, engineering, and attention to detail. It would have to be a "custom" at custom prices. I would rather have the 22LR version like yours but if given the choice would take the grooved receiver for my personal interests. Those early Winchesters are in a class of their own, though.

IMHO, I would not let that redhead from the bank know you own that! smile

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I thought the Remington Model 121 was derived from the Browning Trombone.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Possibly! Don't know!
John Browning influenced a lot of people!

HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don't know of any JB statues standing anywhere but there should be. Maybe in St. Louis or Ogden, Ut.

Great man with great and visionary ideas... no way they would probably recognize that in today's St. Louis and a statue would probably come down pretty fast. Same with all the firearm pioneers and "greats." Someone would probably drive up from SLC and tear down an Ogden statue, too.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by lundtroller
I don't know of any JB statues standing anywhere but there should be. Maybe in St. Louis or Ogden, Ut.

Great man with great and visionary ideas... no way they would probably recognize that in today's St. Louis and a statue would probably come down pretty fast. Same with all the firearm pioneers and "greats." Someone would probably drive up from SLC and tear down an Ogden statue, too.

Very True! Unfortunately your correct on your sad statement.
I was unwinding last night and decide to put on the TV and hit YouTube and watched Fess Parker do a Special on John Moses Browning early 90's). A very nice Story for those who are interested whether you read his story or not as I have. It was a nicely done up Bio of John and his Family background and History. I know I've seen it before but I refuse to watch the daily Garbage on TV!

HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a few 61's. Great rifles , fun to shoot, very well made. Some one suggested you have it D&T'd for a scope. That would be a big mistake.

The 61's in the last few years of production chambered a .22 Mag. Winchester brought out the .22 Mag in '59...the last of the 61's were a year or 2 later.

You did alright.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
In the 70's I bought a fresh 61 from my neighborhood friend for $40 (his dad had ditched the family leaving a nice firearms battery behind), and gave it to my dad for his birthday. Dad didn't blink that 13 year olds were engaging in the gun trade (he was a WWII vet), just smiled and thanked me. We shot it a bit.

When my dad died I got the .22 back and tracked down the old friend offering it back to him for a 45-year inflation adjusted price (about a third of then-current values). To this day it is one of the only things from his father he possesses.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by cisco1
I have a few 61's. Great rifles , fun to shoot, very well made. Some one suggested you have it D&T'd for a scope. That would be a big mistake.

The 61's in the last few years of production chambered a .22 Mag. Winchester brought out the .22 Mag in '59...the last of the 61's were a year or 2 later.

You did alright.
cisco,
I have to agree with you I would not do anything to this particular early highly collectible Model 61 meaning "do not scope it"!
I also like to shoot them besides collecting as another one would and can be scoped for shooting!
Their just not making any more Originals!!!
HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
In the 70's I bought a fresh 61 from my neighborhood friend for $40 (his dad had ditched the family leaving a nice firearms battery behind), and gave it to my dad for his birthday. Dad didn't blink that 13 year olds were engaging in the gun trade (he was a WWII vet), just smiled and thanked me. We shot it a bit.

When my dad died I got the .22 back and tracked down the old friend offering it back to him for a 45-year inflation adjusted price (about a third of then-current values). To this day it is one of the only things from his father he possesses.
Great Story!
I admire you for what you did.
Thanks for Sharing.
HS 58

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser

Great story. Awesome, classy gesture. Damn fine thing to do.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I grew up shooting an M61, second gun I used after a cool little Remington single shot. I picked up a M61 several years ago. Checkered stock - one of very few I have ever seen- maybe the only one. Any chance it would have come that way from the factory?

If it may be factory checkering, I should probably sell it. If not, thinking about having it restored for my 12 year old son.

Some would consider it sacrilege, but if I have it restored, I may shorten the barrel a bit. Think it would actually be more fun that way.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
106 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugeman, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,391 guests, and 693 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.