Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Any model 88 or model 100 lovers in here? What do y’all like and dislike about them. Do y’all like the carbine more? Let’s talk!

BP-B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
L Savage99: At one time I was an avid collector of both the pre-64 Winchester Model 88's and to a lesser extent the Model 100's.
Today I am down to just two Model 88's - both in 308 Winchester caliber. One is a near mint first year production ("doll's head") that is set up and has been used for Whitetailed Deer Hunting (with Leupold 2x7 variable scope).
The second Model 88 of mine is an unfired, later vintage, but still pre-64, Model 88 with hang-tags.
One of my favorite pre-64 Winchester Model 88 stories was back in the 1980's my left handed friend bought a minty Model 88 in 243 Winchester and decided to make a "Varmint Rifle" out of it.
He had Jim Cloward install a heavy stainless barrel on the Model 88 action and chamber if for short (Varmint weight) bullets in 243 Winchester.
That Rifle shot VERY well indeed. My left-handed friend loved that Rifle and we Hunted Rock Chucks together for many seasons with him using it.
I would say I "really like" the pre-64 Winchester Model 88's and 100's.
Never warmed to the "Carbine" version of either model.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Had a 358 88.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Have a 88 in 284. Probably the handiest rifle I own currently. Lightweight, smooth cycling, horrendous trigger though frown Have a Weaver pivoting base with T post Lyman 4x on it. Finding ammo has been tough lately.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Had an 88 in 284 fall into my lap about 3 months ago. Have all the components but haven’t loaded anything yet. It has an old Bushnell Scopechief 4x on it. That’s going to get replaced, just not sure with what.

Dale

This space for rent

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have the 4 rifles. 358/pre, 284/post, 308/pre and 243/post.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have two 88 rifles and one carbine, all in 308 Win. The first year some changes were made, all tech and all positive. My rifles came to me coincidentally as super bargains. A category as targets of opportunity; funds available. My first year of carbine production as '68 vintage & "pre G" series SN prefix, came to me with interest and 'cheap' by today's standards as 'ultra'. I like it best for handling and the unadorned wood, barrel band stock only adornment. Lightweight & quick handling! More ergonomic than any of the 'classic' context Winchester Levers, but then on balance 'not classic' either!

Of course, the 88 strong suit as the ability to handle high pressure loads adroitly. I would have preferred a recoil pad installed, but also even the some decades ago, wanting to keep it original. Most often 'pads' for me aren't about recoil as much as more comfortable "length of pull"! The .308 chambering great all-round and as the 30-30 of the 94 Lever creed; 'cheap and available' everywhere! The trigger is bit of compromise as nothing to write home about and purists to complain/disdain. Mine was quite acceptable for such rifle as Factory intended! A side point that the "pre '64" has much less implication in terms of overall rifle "altered". The Model 88 was a child of the fifties are compared to even the 'later' levers versions of pre WWII era. No huge pre & post '64 alterations of any kind... The significant changes were in stock aesthetics! Basket weave style grip patterns replacing the conventional checkering! Happily as noted, the 88 Carbine didn't suffer that disgrace!
I've heard mixed bags about the 100, but I don't by now recall anything specific and too, ammo with much more effect potential than on a lever gun!

A footnote on topic of ammo availability. My belief commercial guns ammo will increase incredibly. Since the Ukraine War, we've reentered a Soviet Era world of contentions and confrontations. Of 'local wars' portending considerable international multi-state dimensions. All this, already pointing up US and wider NATO "unpreparedness". From weapons to munitions to even small arms supplies. Some civilian production going away to military requirements directly and much more going away in lucrative Government, foreign & domestic, contracts. Huge quantities of such "materials" as not "edging out" but "kicking out" sportsmen and our paltry needs. Supply+demand=$$$$$$$$$. Handloading not the answer as materials will be about as quick to deplete! From "slow" supply chain, to "no supply chain".
If some perfect peaceful solution with all combatants to cross their hearts and "never do again"; lesson learned. As 'nuke wars' are threatened, war provision resources will be maintained on "stand by" perhaps for decades even if "stability" achieved!

Enough prognostications!
Best!
John

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've told my story many times but, my first shonuf deer rifle was a pre '64 model 100 in .284 Winchester. I killed my two longest range deer with it, both a little over 300 yards. All this happened last century in 1967! laugh It was a fine rifle, wish I'd kept it.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have owned a dozen or so Winchester 88s, still have 4 of them, 2 carbines and 2 rifles, all 284s. I don't care for the shallow radius of the pistol grip.

I have owned a dozen or so Winchester 100s, still have 3 of them, a 243 rifles, a 308 Carbine, and a 308 rifle that someone cut the barrel back to 17". The 308 100s are 2 of my favorite rifles for still-hunting in cover. I like the stock ergs of the rifle better than the carbine, as I find the carbine forearm to be too wide and I like checkering, even if it is pressed checkering. Even though the ergs of the 88 and 100 stocks are the same, I don't mind the shallow radius pistol grip on the 100 because the action cycles itself.

One of my hunting mentors, Harriet McCarthy, shot an 88 carbine in 243, the first 88 and first 243 that I ever shot back in the late 1960s.

IMO the Sako Finnwolf is the best hammerless lever action ever made, as strong as the Winchester 88 combined with the ergs the Savage 99.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have a .243 carbine, love the way it handles and the fact the safety can be reversed easily for us port side pitchers. Not much of a fan of the .243 cartridge, based on an experience 3 decades ago, however newer loads with mono or bonded/partitioned bullets would probably cure that. Have a line on an identical carbine in .308 but he won't budge off the $1500 mark

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
All: Anyone interested in a MINT, first year (dolls head), pre-64, Winchester Model 88 in 243 Winchester caliber - my local gunshop got one in on consignment last week.
This full size Model 88 is MINT!
I have been trying to justify adding it to my collection but I am "late in life"!
The Rifle does have a period correct quality scope mounted on it and I could find NO blemish in the wood, bluing, crown, checkering - nothing!
The only puzzling wear is the Winchester magazine does have noticeable wear loss on the bottoms blued finish (replacement?).
The asking price is $1,500.00 (no sales tax in Montana).
The shops phone number is 406-683-9844 - Tuesday through Saturday 9:30 AM to 4:00 PM.
Let me know if I can answer any questions regarding this consigned (I do not know the consignee) Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My 1956 88

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I like guns | optics | fishing
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
All: Anyone interested in a MINT, first year (dolls head), pre-64, Winchester Model 88 in 243 Winchester caliber - my local gunshop got one in on consignment last week.
I have been trying to justify adding it to my collection but I am "late in life"!
The Rifle does have a period correct quality scope mounted on it and I could find NO blemish in the wood, bluing, crown, checkering - nothing!
The only puzzling wear is the Winchester magazine does have noticeable wear loss on the bottoms blued finish (replacement?).
The shops phone number is 406-683-9844 - Tuesday through Saturday 9:30 AM to 4:00 PM.
Let me know if I can answer any questions regarding this consigned (I do not know the consignee) Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Tempting! The stock have any figure? Only downside is I heard from a very experienced 'smith that the lever linkage was much improved after the first few years of production.

Last edited by GrouseChaser; 04/01/23.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've had four pre-64 88's. All started as .308 win, one I rebarrelled to 7mm-08, another was customized by Rogue River Arms into 7mm-08. The last is a showpiece, and the only one I still own.

I found in .308 with the original factory stocks, they were not comfortable to shoot. Also the lever linkages and bolt were never the smoothest, nor the trigger particularly tunable. No complaints about accuracy though.

In 7mm-08, and restocked, they can really approach IMO a "best" weapon afield, and likely in .243 the stock design is less consequential.

Last edited by GrouseChaser; 04/01/23.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Pics?

I like guns | optics | fishing
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
My dad bought this 1955 model 88 in 1968 for my 14 th. birthday. Still has the old Weaver k-4 scope. It's a 308.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
J
Love the 88’s! The slickest, most accurate lever guns I’ve ever shot. Recoil in the 358 gets your attention, as does a stiff 308 load. Saw an unfired 284 a month ago. I like to use mine so not interested in a safe queen 🙂

Jasper243

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have had a pre-64 (57 irrc) in 308 WIN and a 1968 in 243 WIN, another in 284 WIN - those are all gone. I have kept (since 1995) my favorite, a 1963 in 308 WIN that has an early post 64 stock. As I acquired it used from Shumer’s in central PA in 95 I have no idea of how it came to have a 64 stock on a 63 rifle. This one has a good trigger, all the others were heavy and gritty. Loves a 165 grain Interlock over IMR4064, won’t shoot a 150 grain bullet worth a piss. One of my two favorite deer rifles of my hunting career.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have 1 Model 100 left. .284 nice rifle.

Oddly, I have never hunted it , have killed quite a lot of deer but always with other rifles.

Attached Images
P1000623 (1).jpg (48.39 KB, 162 downloads)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Always wanted an 88 in .358.

Gun shop about an hour away has one, nice dark wood, good shape.

Wants $4100 for it

Has had it on his shelf for 4 years and wont budge on price

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
665 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 74 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.