Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
If you’re a rifle hunter I can recommend Ironbound Outfitters in Newfoundland, not so much for archery. Probably won’t have Wi-Fi and might be a little more then 8k.

All Americans need to be fully vaccinated. I hope they changed that.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
BP-B2

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ihookem
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
If you’re a rifle hunter I can recommend Ironbound Outfitters in Newfoundland, not so much for archery. Probably won’t have Wi-Fi and might be a little more then 8k.

All Americans need to be fully vaccinated. I hope they changed that.

Canada dropped all Covid border requirements last fall. Is this a Newfoundland thing?

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Love Brothers and Lee Outfitters hunt in north BC.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bobdahunter
Killerbee- i put Leupold scopes on everything i own. The pre 64 model 70 338 Win Mag has a new VX-HD3 4.5-14X50. The Mark V has an older VX3 4.5-14 x 40. Even scoped up my DG African rifles. Both pre 64 70's in 375 h&h and a custom Biesen in 458 Lott have the VX-6HD 1-6x24 on them.

I watched the videos for Ray's. I would say it's a mix. Certainly some wooded and some clearer country. The bow hunters were more in the brush with rifle hunters more in the open.

I did reach out to Westwood. Seemed good too but they were booked through 2024.

To your point BC30, maybe I bring both the 338 and 300 weatherby. I'm leaning towards the 338 but nothing wrong with the weatherby as a backup. The weatherby has a break on it, so the guide may prefer i use the 338...

Hi bobdahunter, nice scopes that's for sure, and for the distances you mentioned, they are a great choice.

On my .30-06 I use a Bausch and Lomb Rainguard Elite 4200 2.5-10 x 40, and I have taken a lot of moose with it and so many deer I forgot how many. I have never had any issues zooming in for a kill shot @ 200 yards and when you are hunting in the bush I like the lower power.

I have only killed moose with my .30-06 and bow, so 30 Cals are great medicine for moose. I bought and set up my .300 Win Mag for elk and longer range shooting, since every time I get a chance to kill one with a rifle they are 500 yards+ away.

For shots ranging between 150-200 yards, yours are an excellent choice and all you will ever need.

I have never owned a Muzzle Break, because I am not a range shooter that shoots many rounds and needs relief. I do not even feel the recoil when I am hunting and taking my shot since I am so focused. So, they are not necessary in my case. First time I heard one go off I was at a range standing in the wrong place too close to the shooter and I thought a canon went off. I remember saying WHAT THE F WAS THAT! lol.

Wishing you all the best in finding an excellent guide and enjoying a fun hunt, moose meat is one of my favorites and moose cheeseburgers are one of my favorite meals.

KB

Last edited by KillerBee; 04/01/23.

KB

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Much appreciated KB. Excellent info. Looking forward to hunting with Ray's Hunting and Fishing Lodge mid September next year to get my moose!

You mentioned your setup for long range elk. I too purchased a long range rifle so Im prepared when the opportunity comes up to do some long range hunting. In the fall I bought a Browning Hells Canyon chambered in 26 Nosler. Threw a Leupold VX-6HD 4-24X52 on it. I bore sighted it a couple months ago and threw it back in my safe. But when the weather warms here in Wisconsin, looking forward to getting it dialed in.

Good luck to you!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Much appreciated KB. Excellent info. Looking forward to hunting with Ray's Hunting and Fishing Lodge mid September next year to get my moose!

You mentioned your setup for long range elk. I too purchased a long range rifle so Im prepared when the opportunity comes up to do some long range hunting. In the fall I bought a Browning Hells Canyon chambered in 26 Nosler. Threw a Leupold VX-6HD 4-24X52 on it. I bore sighted it a couple months ago and threw it back in my safe. But when the weather warms here in Wisconsin, looking forward to getting it dialed in.

Good luck to you!

By the way bobdahunter, before I posted Rays Hunting and Fishing Lodge in this thread for you, I called and spoke to them and told them I was inquiring for a friend, seemed like a nice guy!

I am happy I was able to be of assistance. That is what makes this site great, people you do not even know are on your team and want to see you succeed.

My Long-range setup is my Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight in .300 Win mag, which I customized by removing the factory barrel and replacing it with a Wilson Match Grade #3 Contour barrel. I fluted the barrel to minimize the weight. After testing it and not liking the results I glass bedded and free-floated the barrel, not its a sub-MOA Tack Driver.

I topped it off with a Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5-20x50 LR and I shoot Nosler Trophy Grade ABLR's in 190 gr. I Like it and hope to get an opportunity to use it on elk this fall. If I ever make it to Africa, that is the rifle I will be taking. A few pictures below smile

KB

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

KB

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Hunting with a guide/outfitters is not hunting, zero hunting skills required, basically it's shooting.

KB

Interesting to see you offering up so much advice to a guy looking for a guided hunt. Why don't you tell him how you really feel.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by albertadave
Hunting with a guide/outfitters is not hunting, zero hunting skills required, basically it's shooting.

KB

Interesting to see you offering up so much advice to a guy looking for a guided hunt. Why don't you tell him how you really feel.

Good morning AO TROLL.

I personally do not use guides, don't have to because I do my own research, pre-season scouting and calling, so I don't need to be guided to animals since I hunt in the province I live in and hunt.

If I wanted to go out of the country I would use a guide, would be stupid not to. What I did say is that I do not consider guided hunts, hunting, I consider them Shooting events, where all that is required is shooting skills, since the guide does all the work, knows the area, and takes you to the animal.

For instance one of my father's friends was at one time ranked as #4 Big Game hunter of his time, I believe. His game room was not a game room, it was a 14000 sq. ft. building of the biggest full mounts of everything. He was an extremely wealthy man that paid guides huge amounts of money to put him over record book animals.

He would get a call, get on his jet and go shoot the animal that was located and hunted for him, including moose, elk, sheep, polar bears, Kodiak, grizzlies, black bears, elephants lions, tigers, rhinos, walruses, giraffes, and leopards you name it he shot it. I personally do not consider that hunting, I consider it shooting, and I have no issues with any of it.

Have a great day sfb3.

KB

KB

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
To each their own on the viewpoint of guided hunts. I own 80 acres in central Wisconsin and hunt Whitetail deer and turkey. Outside of small game, that's about all I'll ever get on my property. Attached is the guy I got archery hunting on my property last fall. Just got him from the taxidermist yesterday actually! [img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nNBryjC-HoR_6x2on7-Eo3SQhmrpW-IT/view?usp=share_link[/img]

But if you want to hunt something that is not local to your area, your only real option would be to hire an outfitter. Hell, I'm going on my first African hunt in June for cape buffalo, eland, gemsbok, kudu, and zebra. There is literally no option to hunt those animals without an outfitter. You can't simply show up to Africa with a gun without having an outfitter--you need to give them your paperwork at customs. I suppose someone could stay within the US, research public land, and try to hunt something without a guide. But if it's a species you never hunted yourself, in an area you know nothing about firsthand, that seems like more of a waste of time than anything.

Is a guided hunt the same thing as hunting on your own, in an area you know--absolutely not. But for those of us that want to try something new and learn the techniques on species you've never hunted--I'm not sure there is a better alternative.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
To each their own on the viewpoint of guided hunts. I own 80 acres in central Wisconsin and hunt Whitetail deer and turkey. Outside of small game, that's about all I'll ever get on my property. Attached is the guy I got archery hunting on my property last fall. Just got him from the taxidermist yesterday actually! [img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nNBryjC-HoR_6x2on7-Eo3SQhmrpW-IT/view?usp=share_link[/img]

But if you want to hunt something that is not local to your area, your only real option would be to hire an outfitter. Hell, I'm going on my first African hunt in June for cape buffalo, eland, gemsbok, kudu, and zebra. There is literally no option to hunt those animals without an outfitter. You can't simply show up to Africa with a gun without having an outfitter--you need to give them your paperwork at customs. I suppose someone could stay within the US, research public land, and try to hunt something without a guide. But if it's a species you never hunted yourself, in an area you know nothing about firsthand, that seems like more of a waste of time than anything.

Is a guided hunt the same thing as hunting on your own, in an area you know--absolutely not. But for those of us that want to try something new and learn the techniques on species you've never hunted--I'm not sure there is a better alternative.

There isn't a better option or alternative, besides you have to spend years on the ground in any given area to really know what you are doing. Not possible if you are hunting multiple species.

One thing that makes me laugh is all of the hunting shows with chicks and guys shooting Pope and Young or B&C deer every season. Wish I could just show up in a tree stand on primo private property without competition, that was set up for me where I knew B&C deer were living in that specific area.

After 35 years of hunting deer, I have only killed 1 giant deer, took a very long time to do that, and I doubt if I will ever shoot another one like it again. If I was worth millions and paid the best trophy outfitters in the world to hunt deer, I am sure I would have many.

Great deer! I hope you post pictures of your African animals when you return!

KB

KB

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
bobdahunter;
Top of the morning to you once more sir, I hope all is going more than less your way so far this weekend on April 01st.

That is a grand buck, congratulations!

Just for reference, where I grew up in Saskatchewan, we'd see bucks that size occasionally, but usually at night trucking grain or running fuel to a combine. They were pretty nocturnal.

Here in our part of BC, there are some whitetail that size, but I could count on both hands the number I've personally laid eyes on in the past 40 years.

Just another instance of things just being what they are, right?

My African experience is from '75 in Kenya so truly a lifetime ago, but I hope you'll have the same sense of awe and wonder that I still vividly recall when you go there. It's so very different from anything I've ever experienced in my wandering all over the 4 western provinces, the north western states and up into the Yukon as well. Africa is just different and I mean that in the best way possible.

Lastly as far as guided hunts are concerned, as you noted it's dependent upon local regulation largely anymore.

Here in BC even if immediate family from outside the province wants to hunt here, I'd need to get what's more or less a temporary guide permit, take responsibility for them and then they're also subject to non-resident license fees too.

I want to say I could go back and hunt the farm in Saskatchewan without a guide, but still need to pay non-resident fees and perhaps a different season? Not sure on that all, sorry.

Anyways sir, all the best luck on the African hunt, it's doubtless going to be memorable.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Links have my lifetime if trophies that live at my cabin. Dating back to when I was 12, to my current ripe old age of 38. No guided hunts with any of the deer cool But the bears in the background were in fact with an outfitter in Ontario, although it wasn't guided.

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/184gzJE2fV10c-rR11FpaQ9OmUigaJQRW/view?usp=drivesdk[/img]

[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/181N3tI8YdshuW9izRWTd8684Klg6cSEe/view?usp=drivesdk[/img]

Last edited by bobdahunter; 04/01/23.
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by albertadave

KB

Good morning AO TROLL.

I personally do not use guides, don't have to because I do my own research, pre-season scouting and calling, so I don't need to be guided to animals since I hunt in the province I live in and hunt.

If I wanted to go out of the country I would use a guide, would be stupid not to. What I did say is that I do not consider guided hunts, hunting, I consider them Shooting events, where all that is required is shooting skills, since the guide does all the work, knows the area, and takes you to the animal.
as
For instance one of my father's friends was at one time ranked #4 Big Game hunter of his time, I believe. His game room was not a game room, it was a 14000 sq. ft. building of the biggest full mounts of everything. He was an extremely wealthy man that paid guides huge amounts of money to put him over record book animals.

He would get a call, get on his jet and go shoot the animal that was located and hunted for him, including moose, elk, grizzles, black bears, elephants lions, tigers, rhinos, walruses, giraffes, and leopards you name it he shot it. I personally do not consider that hunting, I consider it shooting, and I have no issues with any of it.

Have a great day sfb3.

KB

"ranked #4 Big Game hunter of his time"
What kind of bs is that? Where exactly would a person find these rankings? Who's doing the ranking? You? If so, I'm sure that you're ranked #1 hahahaha

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

KB

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
That's cute. Are you going to answer the question?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hey ahole, I don't have to answer your questions, I thought you would get the message in my last post.

I guess you are not bright enough to figure that out. Go pizz up a rope. lol

KB

KB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Could I see the list of who’s ranked 1st, 2nd and 3rd, ‘at one time’? Should be interesting.

Just wondering if maybe I’m mentioned.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
To be honest Kenneth, the gentleman I was speaking of was from Hawaii, which island I am not sure about. He was my father's friend, they are both deceased.

My father, told me he was ranked as 4th in something having to do with big game. Other than that I know nothing about people who hunt internationally or any type of ranking systems other than Pope and Young and B&C, I only hunt moose, elk, bears and deer when it comes to big game in the provinces, I have lived in including Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta, and BC. I am a meat hunter, horn size was never a priority for me.

I am trying to get this guy's name and am doing some research. I was told by my father that when he passed he donated his trophies to a natural museum in Hawaii, not even sure which one. If I find any information I will post it.

All I can tell you is that my father had pictures of his trophy house which he took himself in 1974. He had the biggest of just about everything and multiples of a lot of them.

KB

KB

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
To be honest Kenneth, the gentleman I was speaking of was from Hawaii, which island I am not sure about. He was my father's friend, they are both deceased.

My father, told me he was ranked as 4th in something having to do with big game. Other than that I know nothing about people who hunt internationally or any type of ranking systems other than Pope and Young and B&C, I only hunt moose, elk, bears and deer when it comes to big game in the provinces, I have lived in including Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta, and BC. I am a meat hunter, horn size was never a priority for me.

I am trying to get this guy's name and am doing some research. I was told by my father that when he passed he donated his trophies to a natural museum in Hawaii, not even sure which one. If I find any information I will post it.

All I can tell you is that my father had pictures of his trophy house which he took himself in 1974. He had the biggest of just about everything and multiples of a lot of them.

KB

He's making fun of you dip shidt lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
KB,
At this time of Pentecost,
Ask yourself,
WWJD?
Peace.
Vincent

P.S. the top 10 is good
5? Better.
Unless it’s a small county.
GWG.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 73 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,163
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.