Print Thread
Hop To
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Wife says Australia or Africa (again) next Feb. I told her after NZ I'm done going overseas anymore. She informed me I'm wrong.... but gave me the choice, one or the other for next February or so. I'll compromise and do the other in '25. smile

Tanzania was "small group tour" in '22- us and a young Hispanic couple from Miami. Great trip!. My idea of "small group". Thanks to Covid. Just got back from same deal to NZ- 11 couples. OK, I guess, but I'm not a people person, tho they were fine. I guess. Old farts like us.

So, if Australia, we will DIY - no "group". Sadly lacking on info (Hey, I saw "Crocodile Dundee" and "Quigley Down Under" at least!), so just starting the research.

Not a city/ group person, and this will be only 2 weeks (kennel for 2 is expensive!), including travel time, so looking for suggestions for drive or train travel and destinations we can do in that 10 day or so time frame, with my mind frame. We will rent something to drive, or maybe use a train where applicable. Camping OK, won't be hunting, tho not adverse to tagging along on a kangaroo cull as observer/helper, perhaps. Smaller towns B&B, etc. fine with me. Animals and scenery priority over "events", tho perhaps some museum visits. The down side is we have to think, dammit!

NZ says you guys suck. In a nice way. smile

PM's fine, or here, for any suggestions/tips.

Thanks

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would drive the great ocean road between Melbourne and Adelaide, about 5 days, then fly to Alice Springs and drive the Ayers Rock,Kings Canyon loop over a few days

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
I would drive the great ocean road between Melbourne and Adelaide, about 5 days, then fly to Alice Springs and drive the Ayers Rock,Kings Canyon loop over a few days

Done the great ocean road and wouldn't recommend it...while everyone else is standing there looking at the water, look down. That isn't snow covering the ground all around you, it is toilet paper.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We spent a couple of weeks in Tasmania over Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd make it a point to see the big reef.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by EdM
We spent a couple of weeks in Tasmania over Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes...God's country.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Alice Springs, Ayers Rock and Kings Canyon in February......yeah right!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by dingo

Alice Springs, Ayers Rock and Kings Canyon in February......yeah right!

I think coming to Australia in Jan/Feb and to the outback is ideal. If I was going to Alaska I ould go in the middle of winter. I think the Simpson Dester is closed to everyone from December to March, from about 2008.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The Outback, wonderful in the winter, spring and autumn, but stay well clear over the summer months.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
For a summer visit you'd be better off visiting the beaches and looking out for white pointers.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
IC B3

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
OK- summer looks out- how about early April (at this time- I suspect late April or May might be better).

Looking at the 3 day train ride from Perth to Adelaide, then most of the rest of the time outside the Melbourne area, staying at a B&B or such and exploring out from there by car.

You guys better learn to drive on the right side of the road by the time we get there..... smile

Last edited by las; 04/20/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
April though to August or September is good for outback travel.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Keep in mind that this is also the peak season for travel in the outback.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

261 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 37 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,715
Posts18,457,060
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.