Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Yamaha Grizzly is the standard that all others are compared too, top of the heap as far as I’m concerned. The Yamaha Kodiak seems to have all of the same features in a slightly smaller frame package. Either one would be an excellent choice

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The damn thing eats batteries, leave it parked over night ,dead battery, slow or weak to start ,if you get it started it will run great for about an hour then dead . Let it sit and it might start tomorrow but not while the engine is hot. If you are riding at night the lights keep getting dimmer until it shuts off and you walk out and get the trailer . I am tired of messing with it ,the dealerships around here will not work on arctic cat ,the last independent shop kept it 6months and charged me 500$,put in a battery and it sits on the trailer like always. Dead. Now I got no electricity to the key ,don't know what he did except rip me off . Bought it from Bass Pro in 13 ,of course they no longer fix anything I guess I got a boat anchor for sale.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
if you need 2 up definitely look at a CanAm Outlander Max

Ive had both the CanAm and an older Grizzly and the CanAm is way better for carrying heavy weight and more stable on sidehills

the CanAm is a rocket compared to the Yamaha , mechanical reliabilty was a tossup

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The 2nd rider will usually be one of the grandkids ( one 6 and one 10) for a ride to the deer stand with the rifles in the gun rack and a bag of munchies to keep him interested while we sit till dark and then putt back, learned to take them separately a long time ago one today the other one tomorrow seems to work better for all involved. Need the horsepower for pulling a mower and trailer for wood and such . I will take it out on cape lookout maybe once a year that will be the only time it would be loaded down heavy with camping and fishing gear

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
The damn thing eats batteries, leave it parked over night ,dead battery, slow or weak to start ,if you get it started it will run great for about an hour then dead . Let it sit and it might start tomorrow but not while the engine is hot. If you are riding at night the lights keep getting dimmer until it shuts off and you walk out and get the trailer . I am tired of messing with it ,the dealerships around here will not work on arctic cat ,the last independent shop kept it 6months and charged me 500$,put in a battery and it sits on the trailer like always. Dead. Now I got no electricity to the key ,don't know what he did except rip me off . Bought it from Bass Pro in 13 ,of course they no longer fix anything I guess I got a boat anchor for sale.
I would unplug the voltage regulator for a couple days and see it the battery still drains down. The plug can be a little stubborn after ten years. About $120 part on those and will help you sell it for a lot more than a boat anchor.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by KirkJ
Yamaha Grizzly is the standard that all others are compared too, top of the heap as far as I’m concerned. The Yamaha Kodiak seems to have all of the same features in a slightly smaller frame package. Either one would be an excellent choice

Yamaha is the only name on my list for ATVs

Me

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've owned a couple of Hondas and a yamaha grizzly.

They all three were good.

I still prefer the foot shifter over the thumb shift electronic bullshit though. Been thinking about converting my '09 420 Fourtrax over to a foot shifter.

Been watching some videos online and it looks pretty simple and straight forward.

FWIW, mine will drain a battery if left for extended period of time. I always take the cable off when parking it up for a while.

When I bought it *used*, it needed some rear end bearings and since then, I've had to replace the starter once. Also replaced the rubber grips a while back too. The old ones degraded and got "gummy" from a lack of better description.

Other than that, haven't had a second of trouble with it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
All the manufacturers are pretty good... Ford/Chevy thing. I have had a '95 Polaris Sportsman 400, a 2010 Sportsman 500 and now a Sportsman 570... They were all great and dependable. After 10 years or so, they start having problems. I USE mine a pretty good bit and have enjoyed Polaris... good dealer support around here. Yam and Honda are both good machines. Look around and make a choice - there are no bad decisions. smile. Happy Easter

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'd been in the market looking for a clean used one for almost 2 years. Where I live most who have them beat the hell out of them and they still want big money for them. Finally found a 2018 420 rancher with eps and irs 742 miles on it, didn't waste anytime getting it bought..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The saga continues, two days on the charger and the battery is full, but no juice to the key so no crank. I looked under for the voltage regulator and fount it has not been touched, so I am going to pull it and look around and try to figure out what the last guy either didn't do or tore up and go from there. Looks like he just stuck in a battery and took off the old winch and the wiring harness for it and most likely left something unhooked . We shall see says the blind man. As for a new ride , prices are high,13k or more dressed out and nothing available for now so l better try to fix what I got myself

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
ALWAYS HONDA/YAMAHA, NEVER the off brands! You're Welcome!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I'd been in the market looking for a clean used one for almost 2 years. Where I live most who have them beat the hell out of them and they still want big money for them. Finally found a 2018 420 rancher with eps and irs 742 miles on it, didn't waste anytime getting it bought..mb
You got lucky on that one they hard to find in that condition. Like you said most are run hard and for the asking price just as well buy new.

Last edited by Riverc; 04/09/23.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Riverc, yeah I did get lucky as hell. Had a new 450 Kodiak with irs and eps priced out at 8999 for green and 9199 for the camo. It looked like it was gonna ruin 10k for a Yamaha. The local Honda dealer only had 420 ranchers with out eps or irs. They wanted 1000 dollar premiums over msrp + shipping+ setup+doc.fee and whatever else they could dream up. I got down to figuring on not buying local because of it. Just got lucky checking Craigslist sat morning it was less than 5 miles from my home. I was 1st caller after they listed it the day before and I told them I'd be there in 15 minutes. The owner from New was a gal 70+ who rode with her hubby and inlaws til the hub passed last spring. So I test drove it we settled at 6800 and I had a 1/2 hr to get to the bank before it closed for the weekend, she didn't want a check and I was able to get the green fast enough. It just went down perfect
.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Do you have Cat the service manual?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not yet but am looking one

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
VIN is top of the rear left tire on the frame. C=12

Here is the 700 manual, I don’t have the 700 TRV manual.

https://support.countrycat.com/posts/2806461-2012-550-700-service-manual

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Why thank you sir that's what I like about the fire , there is always someone that is willing to help .we only have to ask . You are a good in spite of what your wife says about you . Looks like I have some reading to do

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Get a voltage regulator (transformer rectifier) off of ebay for $20 instead of paying the dealer. Usually if an ATV isn't charging that's what it is. It's a 5 minute job to change it out and if that's not it then you're out $20. I have a 2002 Honda rancher that wasn't charging so I got one off of ebay and it's been working great for the last 4 years.

Arctic Cat Rectifier

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.