Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Own a RR Varmint 223. Thinking about a 6mm ARC switchover.

Anyone played with one ?

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Oh yeah. Mucho fun. Built one for the son with a Proof Research carbon barrel. With a suppressor, it is like shooting a pop gun that smacks steel a far.

Going to build one for myself this year. Just pondering barrels.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ll be putting 2 ARCs together in the next few months. I’ve been waiting for something like this for the AR for decades. I’ve owned literally more than 100 ARs over the years and while I love the platform itself I can’t warm up to the .223. We can’t hunt big game with anything smaller than 6mm so I never used one for hunting which might’ve softened my attitude if I’d used one successfully for deer.

I like the Grendel but I think the 6ARC is a better mousetrap all the way around.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
In a bolt action mini action rifle, the 6mm ARC is my new favorite deer cartridge. Very frequently I see the 6mm ARC comes with lots of advantages in the ar 15 package. Long range energy on target is a stand out to be sure.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ordered an upper from grendel hunter, shoots excellent. sent it back to polish out the chattermarks in the chamber.
shoots 8,9, and 10 during sight in.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The case was made too short. It should have been extended to 6.8 SPC length. 85gr Partitions at 3100fps, 90gr Accubonds at 3025fps from an 18" AR-15.

Left to right - 6PPC, 6mm Too Short ARC, 6mm Correct Length ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC.

Tony

Last edited by TonyRumore; 04/03/23.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TonyRumore
The case was made too short. It should have been extended to 6.8 SPC length. 85gr Partitions at 3100fps, 90gr Accubonds at 3025fps from an 18" AR-15.

Left to right - 6PPC, 6mm Too Short ARC, 6mm Correct Length ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC.

Tony

I can sure see the logic of that, Tony. Wasn't there such a chambering offered? I shopped around quite a bit and found references to cartridges and chambers that had been more or less conceived but never made available. The names of those cartridges escape me now---it's been several years. There were some good looking ideas, though.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Suppose for the sake of argument one could agree that the ARC may have benefited by extending the shoulder forward for Varmint bullets. On the other hand, with 103 grain to 108 grain hunting bullet focus, I am of the opinion Hornady Got it right!

I personally like my bolt action CZ 527 chambered in 6mm ARC with a 22" barrel. Been a fine deer rifle. So far I have kept shots inside of 260 yards. Little over 2 years with 6mm ARC in bolt action rifles. Sorry I seem biased, as I do not find myself interested in AR rifles yet.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
Suppose for the sake of argument one could agree that the ARC may have benefited by extending the shoulder forward for Varmint bullets. On the other hand, with 103 grain to 108 grain hunting bullet focus, I am of the opinion Hornady Got it right!

I personally like my bolt action CZ 527 chambered in 6mm ARC with a 22" barrel. Been a fine deer rifle. So far I have kept shots inside of 260 yards. Little over 2 years with 6mm ARC in bolt action rifles. Sorry I seem biased, as I do not find myself interested in AR rifles yet.

Why would you believe less powder capacity is better for 103- to 108-grain bullets???

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

Tony

I agree with this for medium weight (90 and 95 grain) bullets, which is what I use. It would be perfect. Just a shame making that case out of .220 Swift brass is a PITA.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Tony

I also like the 6WOA. I wished they had more support though. I would have kept the one I had, had it had the right twist rate. For some stupid reason WOA decided 10 was a good number. A 1 in 8" would have been much better. Speaking of them, they say they will not chamber one of their barrels for the 6mm ARC because of the safety factor. The bolt for the AR's being a very weak point in the design.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by RiverRider
[
"Why would you believe less powder capacity is better for 103- to 108-grain bullets???
"

Perhaps you are thinking I am implying I prefer less case capacity. Not exactly my preference, though tolerable.

Proper neck placement on the shank of the longer ogive bullet profile, is the goal that is being achieved from my perspective w the shorter 6mm ARC cartridge.

If we were not trying to fit the cartridge into the shorter AR magazine, or a mini action mag in the case of my CZ 527, the benefit of the set back shoulder would not exist.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
In the bolt action CZ 527, 2780 fps muzzle velocity is where my accuracy load worked out with the 108 grain elite hunter. For whitetail that seldom exceed 300lbs on the hoof, in the midwest. this load will do quite well and has achieved DRT results with the brachial plexus shot at a bit over 250 yards.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/243-is-to-large-wink.288173/

Attached Images
2021 ER deer.jpg (22.84 KB, 458 downloads)

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
Originally Posted by RiverRider
[
"Why would you believe less powder capacity is better for 103- to 108-grain bullets???
"

Perhaps you are thinking I am implying I prefer less case capacity. Not exactly my preference, though tolerable.

Proper neck placement on the shank of the longer ogive bullet profile, is the goal that is being achieved from my perspective w the shorter 6mm ARC cartridge.

If we were not trying to fit the cartridge into the shorter AR magazine, or a mini action mag in the case of my CZ 527, the benefit of the set back shoulder would not exist.
This ^^^
Headroom.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bullets ALWAYS matter more than headstamps. The beauty of the 224,243 and 264 Grendels,is that they shine brightly in the trite OEM Krunchenticker confines. The SPC a HILARIOUS Goat Fhuqk in comparison. Hint.

Go ASC mags and they get even better. OEM Howie Mini and CZ's do no favors there and only replicate Krunchenticker COAL,in OEM guise. Hint.

Step away to aftermarket Howie Mini bottom metal and things can change. Wayne's World offering the greatest COAL latitude(2.450"+),due the thickness of the magbox proper. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Starting velocity,ain't impact velocity and the .243" 85gr NPT(.315 BC) and 90 AccuBombs(.376 BC) are HILARIOUS Goat Fhuqk's. Hint.

Pardon reality....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
The 90 grain TGK at .490 bc is good for its weight and the 95 Berger at a true average of .460 is also good for its weight. At medium hunting distances such as up to 350 yards, the middle-weight bullets shoot flatter because you can drive them a lot faster.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SniffleKchunt,

You are Google Pretending,about things you've never even seen,let alone done...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

If I'm going to fling 88/90's,it's going to be in a 224 Grendel,of which I've more than a few,in both Turnbolts and Krunchentickers. .545 and .585 BC's there. You feel free to use your Imagination to Pretend about "flatness" and I'll shoot Real World atmospherics and reap the inherent advantages of same,in wares that actually exist. Hint.

Big Day for you,now you can say you've "seen" same. Hint.

You CLUELESS Lying Pieces Of Fhuqking Schit are a riot! Hint.

JO Gen2 BDL metal here,so you can continue to get your Google on. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
SniffleKchunt,

You are Google Pretending,about things you've never even seen,let alone done...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

If I'm going to fling 88/90's,it's going to be in a 224 Grendel,of which I've more than a few,in both Turnbolts and Krunchentickers. .545 and .585 BC's there. You feel free to use your Imagination to Pretend about "flatness" and I'll shoot Real World atmospherics and reap the inherent advantages of same,in wares that actually exist. Hint.

Big Day for you,now you can say you've "seen" same. Hint.

You CLUELESS Lying Pieces Of Fhuqking Schit are a riot! Hint.

JO Gen2 BDL metal here,so you can continue to get your Google on. Hint.

Littlestick, stop pretending that you do a lot of long-range hunting necessitating the long, heavy for caliber high bc projectiles...because you don't. All your "hunting" is opportunistic shots from a boat to some little blacktail on the shore at under 100 yards or some little critter in the water at 15 yards wanting to eat a fish. And stop being so dishonest and acknowledge that at short to medium distances a medium weight projectile with a good bc for its weight is going to shoot flatter and sometimes even have less wind drift than a heavy higher bc bullet going much slower.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If I'm hunting at long distance, it sure as chit isn't going to be with an AR-15, in any caliber.
It seems that most guys shooting the 6ARC with long heavy bullets are plinking steel, but when those same guys take their guns hunting, they are using conventional 85-100 grain bullets.

Tony

Last edited by TonyRumore; 04/04/23.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm unfamiliar with anyone shooting 85-100gr .243" bullets,in any chambering,as a Critter preference over good bullets. That whether AR or Turnbolt. Hint.

BC advantages start at the muzzle and never wane,to the chagrin of Window Lickers everywhere. Pardon Physics,being plumb handy. Hint.

Wayne's World Howie Mini BDL bottom and a .620 BC ARC Smooch. Hint.

The only things you Fhuqktards "shoot",is your Imagination and Pretend. Hint.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

598 members (12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 66 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,296
Posts18,449,007
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.