Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Cheesy nailed it. There is something special about the aesthetic balance of his blades.. The first time I held one it really lit me up.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]what time do gas stations open on sunday

BP-B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Some good recommendations in the first few responses. But if I were the OP I would get on Ingram's email list and act fast when you see one you like.

I need to try a Menefee knife or two. I know Huntsman and Judman have beautiful examples.

Last edited by longarm; 04/03/23.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Gratuitous Ingram repost

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Amazing knives, Longarm. Perfect really.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks buddy. You thawing out up there yet? Post up one of your Menefees!

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Here's one with nice spalted maple
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Had several of Gene’s knives. They are very nice, but in terms of function, finish or construction they are no better than Dave Winston’s and a large number of premium makers out there.

I don’t quite understand the mystique.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by hunter13
Had several of Gene’s knives. They are very nice, but in terms of function, finish or construction they are no better than Dave Winston’s and a large number of premium makers out there.

I’ve held and used knives double the price.

Him and the guys he learned with cant be topped for the $

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Honest question: What if any special specs did you request in purchasing your Gene knives?

How he's responded to mine is why I love the guy's stuff.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I purchased the Ingram knives pre-owned, but unused. As I said, they are very nice knives and the execution is top notch. What, I tried to say is that there is a plethora of knife makers out there that are constructing knives to the highest standards. I have a couple Hollinger’s for example. Better? No, but I believe that they are equal. Another example is Meneffee. I have two and find his execution on his thin tapered tangs is fantastic. Dale Howe makes a nice knife of similar style. And, of course, there is David Winston, originator of Ingram’s particular style. (As an aside, a wonderful man. A real southern gentleman). I have several knives made by David. Maybe, I don’t have the discerning eye, but I can’t see any real differences between Ingram’s and Winston’s. However, when one looks at the classified’s, there is a big disparity in asking prices. I don’t get it, and attribute it to the masses joining the crowd and having to have an Ingram as a consequence. If the Ingram is the one who blows your hair, go for it. One needs to please themselves and I’ll confess, it’s a rather good feeling and more than a little pride in believing that you have the holy grail of knives. By the way, I’ve owned Charlie May’s and one Phil Wilson. They are all gone, not because they weren’t nice knives, but they simply didn’t fit my ideal of what a perfect knife is.

The other thing, and this is a matter of personal taste, but I don’t much care for the shape of Gene’s blades on his basic models. The reason that I sold them.

IC B3

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
but I can’t see any real differences between Ingram’s and Winston’s. However, when one looks at the classified’s, there is a big disparity in asking prices.

I haven't seen many of Davids listed, are they much lower? Doesn't help Gene basically retired now as well so you can't get a custom order anymore. I think that's why you see his blades getting a premium.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
The other thing, and this is a matter of personal taste, but I don’t much care for the shape of Gene’s blades on his basic models. The reason that I sold them.

What maker floats your boat? Just curious to checkout some new ones!

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have four knives that are my current favorites. Based on my history, tomorrow it will probably be some new shiny penny.

1. A Menefee Lil Dumpling;

2. A Dozier semiskinner. I forget the name. I know it’s “just” D2, but this knife gets a toothy edge that is incredible;

3. A Hollinger fillet/boner in I think S35v,

and finally,something way different,

4. A Montana Knife Company, Stonewall Skinner in Magnacut. I love the shape of this knife. Is the finish up to an Ingram? Nah, but, I think that it is the perfect all around design. I have a thing for tapered tangs, so I would like that better. Most top makers don’t like to copy other knife makers designs. I would like to have this knife with a tapered tang and Orange Osage scales. Put it in a Parson’s sheath and a lanyard hole. Put a leather thong on with a couple antique Venetian blue Indian trade beads and I’m done.

As to steel, that’s a hard one (pun intended). I find stainless the most practical, but really like high carbon. The problem as we all know is that high carbon doesn’t do well with elk or deer blood. Kill an elk some distance from camp, use and then sheath your knife and mess for hours getting the elk out, then skinned, then a couple of celebration bourbons and forget the knife in the sheath. Whatever steels(can’t tell a huge amount of difference in any of the premium steels), the blade needs to be thin and a Rockwell in the 60’s.

Everybody, has different views on the shape, but I think that handle should fit the size of your hand and have rounded edges.

Probably all bs and just the ramblings of a knife and gun nut. Don’t get me started on the perfect rifle. Barsness has a good article on the pursuit of perfection. It’s a fool’s endeavor, but it is kind of fun.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
It’s a fool’s endeavor, but it is kind of fun.

Love it! I actually just rehandled my own MKC Stonewall in Magnacut as well. Definitely a sweet knife!

Last edited by NDGuy; 04/05/23.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I like it.

The truth of the matter is that this knife is all one would ever need for a lifetime of hunting. I

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have four knives that are my current favorites. Based on my history, tomorrow it will probably be some new shiny penny.

1. A Menefee Lil Dumpling;

2. A Dozier semiskinner. I forget the name. I know it’s “just” D2, but this knife gets a toothy edge that is incredible;

3. A Hollinger fillet/boner in I think S35v,

and finally,something way different,

4. A Montana Knife Company, Stonewall Skinner in Magnacut. I love the shape of this knife. Is the finish up to an Ingram? Nah, but, I think that it is the perfect all around design. I have a thing for tapered tangs, so I would like that better. Most top makers don’t like to copy other knife makers designs. I would like to have this knife with a tapered tang and Orange Osage scales. Put it in a Parson’s sheath and a lanyard hole. Put a leather thong on with a couple antique Venetian blue Indian trade beads and I’m done.

As to steel, that’s a hard one (pun intended). I find stainless the most practical, but really like high carbon. The problem as we all know is that high carbon doesn’t do well with elk or deer blood. Kill an elk some distance from camp, use and then sheath your knife and mess for hours getting the elk out, then skinned, then a couple of celebration bourbons and forget the knife in the sheath. Whatever steels(can’t tell a huge amount of difference in any of the premium steels), the blade needs to be thin and a Rockwell in the 60’s.

Everybody, has different views on the shape, but I think that handle should fit the size of your hand and have rounded edges.

Probably all bs and just the ramblings of a knife and gun nut. Don’t get me started on the perfect rifle. Barsness has a good article on the pursuit of perfection. It’s a fool’s endeavor, but it is kind of fun.

Just...wow... "High Carbon" WTF???

Last edited by Journeyman; 04/06/23.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Incredibly dumb question here....how does a guy get an Ingram, other than continually cruising the clasifieds?

My google fu is normally strong but I just can't seem to find the website. The first one that always pops up in a search is Arizona Custom Knives, but they seem to just sell other knife maker's offerings, and all their Ingrams are sold out. Same with several other sites that come up on a search. Fort Henry Custom Knives, etc. They all sell Ingram knives, but are sold out.

Does Ingram even have a dedicated website?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Incredibly dumb question here....how does a guy get an Ingram, other than continually cruising the clasifieds?

My google fu is normally strong but I just can't seem to find the website. The first one that always pops up in a search is a Arizona Custom Knives, but they seem to just sell other knife maker's offerings, and all their Ingrams are sold out. Same with several other sites that come up on a search. Fort Henry Custom Knives, etc. They all sell Ingram knives, but are sold out.

Does Ingram even have a dedicated website?

I just called him. No idea if he has a website.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Ted

He took his website down when he semi retired. He is still making some knives but not really taking custom orders anymore can pm you his phone number and email if you like. He is a great fellow and easy to deal with. Let me know if you'd like his contact info.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 76 invisible), 2,924 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,440
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.