Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I recently came across 400 45gr Nosler solid base bullets .224 diameter. My rifle is a Kimber "S" series. My Nosler manual doesn't even list the 45gr bullet. I know Mule Deer favors 13 grains of Lil Gun for 40 grainers. There is a little data in Gun Gack I using 45gr lead RN bullets.
My question is has anybody have data for the 45 grainers or experience with this bullet weight? How much would you reduce the powder charge for the added 5 grain of bullet weight?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
1/2 grain

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thank you both

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was loading 50 gr Hornady SPSX bullets over that load. I did not see a reduction in brass life. I've since gone to 45 grain projectiles. If I recall correctly, I've seen 13.5 gr of 'lil gun listed under a 45 grainer.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my mod 70 just loves this nosler bullets ! loves them. I use ww296 and cci br4 primers. my load is above book max so won't publish but it cooks along F A S T !!!! the load is in the k hornet range. my brass last for 4 to 5 reloads. the br4 primers made a big difference in groups, from 1 1/4 down to 3/4 inch. if your gun for some reason does not like them I will like to buy that batch from you. live long and shoot bunches!! D O M I T !

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A few comments:

"Book max" for any member of SAAMI, if they follow the voluntary standards, is 44,000 PSI for the .22 Hornet--which means electronic measurement. Even though the Hornet case is relatively thin, exceeding this somewhat doesn't make much difference in brass life, because it's REALLY low for modern centerfire rifle rounds.

The basic pressure was established back when many .22 Hornet rifles essentially used rimfire actions. Using a little more powder in a stronger action ain't going to make much difference--especially if you use a primer designed to take a little more pressure, rather than the small-rifle primers designed for sub-50,000 PSI rounds.

That said, I have yet to see any advantage in using heavier bullets in the Hornet for varmints, especially burrowing rodents. Lighter, higher-BC bullets--especially plastic-tipped--perform far better beyond 100 yards, with flatter trajectories, less wind-drift and more consistent expansion. Accuracy is also better, for all the same reasons--which is why small groups at 100 yards in relatively calm conditions aren't very indicative of longer-range performance in even moderate winds. Which is why even in Hornets with typical too-short magazines for 40-grain plastic-tips, I prefer 40-grain softpoints or hollowpoints.

If hunting edible game--anything from squirrels to turkeys--I much prefer loading the round DOWN somewhat, instead trying for every extra fps.

But whatever....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On the days I carry my Hornet this turkey season, I’ll be using 46gr Speer FPs designed for the 218, loaded over 9gr of H110 and Fed GM100 primers. My notion is that the FP will deliver a good whack without burgerizing the bird. When I dialed in a newly-acquired Burris Mini 6x a few weeks ago with that load, the final 3-shot group I fired at 50 yards to confirm the sighting was one odd-shaped hole.

Mostly, I just want to tote the pretty little Browning around the Spring woods…..

IIRC, Seyfried said that Nosler SB was his favorite all-around Hornet slug. There’s some demand for those in Hornet circles I think. I have a broken box from around 2000.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
On the days I carry my Hornet this turkey season, I’ll be using 46gr Speer FPs designed for the 218, loaded over 9gr of H110 and Fed GM100 primers. My notion is that the FP will deliver a good whack without burgerizing the bird. When I dialed in a newly-acquired Burris Mini 6x a few weeks ago with that load, the final 3-shot group I fired at 50 yards to confirm the sighting was one odd-shaped hole.

Mostly, I just want to tote the pretty little Browning around the Spring woods…..

IIRC, Seyfried said that Nosler SB was his favorite all-around Hornet slug. There’s some demand for those in Hornet circles I think. I have a broken box from around 2000.

If you haven't used them before, those 46 gr. Speer FPs are accurate and deadly. Pretty much any bullet is on little critters, even turkeys! smile I went full circle with my Hornet. In the dim times, I loaded 40 and 45 gr Speers. Tried getting fancy with other, more expensive bullets, but am back with the inexpensive and accurate Speers again. I am waiting on delivery of the Speer 40s and 46s as I type. I have less than 100 of the 40s and maybe a dozen 46s.

Funny thing is, these things work on grouse, rabbits, skunks and other things. I use a NEF "22 Hornet Magnum" now though because it's easier on the brass. smile I'm kind of shocked that it hasn't shaken the guts loose in this old Leupold. I guess I got lucky. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here's the quote from Ross's original Handloader article on the 45-grain Nosler SB:

"My favorite all-around Hornet bullet is the last surviving, old-fashioned Nosler Solid Base. This is the 45-grain Hornet with a standard lead tip instead of the plastic nose. It is usually very accurate, quite violent on impact but with enough integrity to plow through plenty of coyote or even the skulls of larger beasts."

This is no doubt true, though I have had different results from some other bullets that Ross reviewed, in other calibers. But I have rarely envisioned the .22 Hornet as an all-around cartridge--unless perhaps as originally designed by Whelen and others as a military survival cartridge. While I did take one deer with the Hornet, using my first Hornet (a T/C Contender Carbine), a whitetail doe with a typical broadside rib shot, I used a 60-grain Nosler Partition, which shot into an inch or so through the 1-12 twist. (This is not the standard Hornet twist-rate, either in older rifles or newer. But I suspect T/C used one of their standard 1-12 twist barrels for the .223--and the 60 Partition was originally designed for the .223 with the then-standard 1-12 twist.)

But despite this, I have always found the Hornet much more useful as a smaller-varmint round--though with slower-velocity cast- and jacketed bulleted loads, where it can duplicate the .22 Long Rifle and .22 Winchester Rimfire Magnum, and works just as well on edible game. But for the job the Hornet became most popular for--varmints up to around 10 pounds--it works best with 40-grain plastic-tips at around 3000 fps. In fact those turn it into a very effective prairie dog round out to 250-300 yards, though it has also worked as far as over 400 on calmer days.

I suspect another reason Ross liked the 45 Solid-Base was that the ogive could be seated to touch the lands, even in repeating rifles with the typical short Hornet magazine. This can definitely help short-range (100-yard) accuracy, but as I stated the low BC of the bullet (or any other blunt Hornet bullet in the 45-grain range) does not result in finer accuracy at longer ranges, because they're so wind-sensitive. And yes, I know this from considerable personal experience.

I learned a lot about handloading the .22 Hornet from Ross's writing, but have continued to experiment with the little round using today's wider range of available bullets and powders.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I used to love the old Winchester 46 gr hollow point. First over H110 and later using lilgun. Everything from squirrels to deer ( crop damage permit).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh I know about the accurate part. Hoping to demonstrate the deadly in a week or so.

If I’d been carrying the LW on last year’s opener, I’d have been in business, but alas I was exploring the mysteries of TSS in the .410. Even that Magic Fairy Dust wouldn’t have quite reached the two strutters across the little vale. Oh well……

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My shelf sags under the weight of a couple thousand traditional 40-45 grain Hornet bullets with which I'm feeding three Hornets (soon to be a fourth if I ever get this Springfield Hornet finished). That few bullets shouldn't last long you might think, but the bulk of my Hornet shooting is with cast bullets anyway so they'll last me until the end. No prairie dogs hereabouts, and gophers disappeared from here probably 1000 years ago, if they ever existed in Maryland in the first place. Groundhogs are up for grabs but I lost my hatred for them long ago, and I haven't hunted turkeys in 20 years. What's left? Paper and squirrels, and the range I belong to only goes out to 100 yards, 200 yards if it's not crowded. Those woe-begotten old semi-RN bullets suit me just fine.

Favorite squirrel load: 6.0gr. 2400 + Lee 52gr. Bator cast soft. About the same moxie as a .22WMR. (The Bator bullet is a very squat blunt bullet no longer than a "traditional" jacketed 45 grain Hornet bullet. It shoots as well as anything in a slow twisted old Hornet.) I guess it would serve for turkeys too, if I cared to do that.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Oh I know about the accurate part. Hoping to demonstrate the deadly in a week or so.

If I’d been carrying the LW on last year’s opener, I’d have been in business, but alas I was exploring the mysteries of TSS in the .410. Even that Magic Fairy Dust wouldn’t have quite reached the two strutters across the little vale. Oh well……

Good luck! You'll have to post an AAR. 🙂.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks.

Things get pretty tough here after the first few days, so my best chance will be early in the season. Thinking of trying a pinch point they frequent. I’d as soon dry gulch one in close as call.

I have a new 5.7x28 pistol I’d like to try too, if I can get good enough with it for maybe 50yard pokes, and if my chest rig ever gets here. Might try those Speers in it, and also somewhere I have a bag of those Winchester HPs and the very similar Remington bullets, both of which were about $8 a bag from Graf’s way back when. Pretty sure the RNHPs will feed; the FPs, maybe. In any case, the pistol makes a good, easy-to-carry just-in-case-I-see-a-turkey gun.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for all the feedback. My primary use for this will be woodchucks as the weather warms up. I'll be hunting the edges of farm fields and some of these critters burrow under the barns and are pretty close to houses and livestock. These conditions I feel are better suited to the Hornet versus the 22/250 or some of the other typical centerfire varmint cartridges that live in the safe.
I'll be going west for prairie dogs this summer and thought the Hornet would be a good 200 yard rig.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have to (again) agree with Mule Deer on this one. I shoot hogs up in PA every year and for years, I used the standard factory Winchester 45gr ammo. One day I picked up a box of the Hornady 35gr platic tipped stuff and the effect on the hogs was noticeably more impressive.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I’ve settled on CCI 450 primers and 300 MP powder in my .22 K-Hornet. Have loaded some Hammer 33 gr bullet to try in my 16 twist CZ 527. Will report when the weather cooperates.

DF

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Thanks for all the feedback. My primary use for this will be woodchucks as the weather warms up. I'll be hunting the edges of farm fields and some of these critters burrow under the barns and are pretty close to houses and livestock. These conditions I feel are better suited to the Hornet versus the 22/250 or some of the other typical centerfire varmint cartridges that live in the safe.
I'll be going west for prairie dogs this summer and thought the Hornet would be a good 200 yard rig.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Have to (again) agree with Mule Deer on this one. I shoot hogs up in PA every year and for years, I used the standard factory Winchester 45gr ammo. One day I picked up a box of the Hornady 35gr platic tipped stuff and the effect on the hogs was noticeably more impressive.

Another option, and quite economical while along the same lines, are the 34gr. HPs sold by Midsouth (Varmint Nightmare Extremes, or something silly like that), I use them sitting on top of 1680 in my CZ Hornet. While they are "whiffle bullets" and certainly for short-range use only, they are also very inexpensive and work fine on groundhogs within 150-200 yards. Midway sells the same bullet as their "Dogtown" bullets, they're made by Nosler, IIRC. If you really don't need the range, they are a wonderful alternative, and last time I looked, were under a dime apiece from Midsouth (Midway is prouder of them than Midsouth, I guess). I use a caseful of 1680 and Remington 6.5 primers, and I've been using WW cases.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a H&R "Handi" in .22 Hornet.
I probably killed a wider variety of game with that rifle than any other gun I've ever owned!
All I ever shot was a Sierra 45 grain Spire Point.
Everything from deer and hogs to squirrels and vermin!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (12344mag, 2UP, 35, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 20 invisible), 1,390 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,468
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.