Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18322740 04/08/23
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Shooting a Highwall .45-70 and I'm a bit frustrated. Load is 6 gr SR4759 under 60 gr Swiss 1.5 FG with a card wad under a Lyman 457125, 30:1 alloy that weighs 530 gr. Tang sight....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now the hole at 10 o'clock is not related to the group of 5, centered around the X-ring. That was shot by my buddy Muffin with a bag rest.

Thought I'd try a different approach and got this results.

What I can't figure out is why I can't get one ragged hole for starters, and why I shoot higher than Muffin with the same load. Puzzled I am.

Tips would be appreciated. Should I install the scope? Maybe wipe the bore between shots? Change my shorts? Why does each target have two thru the same hole but the others are out in Kansas?

Frustrated Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Rifles got a bad Bore, I'll PM you my address you can ship it to me. I'll tinker with it for a couple of years till I get it right!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
You da man! Thanks, I'll be in touch. Had not considered that the bore might need work.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try some harder alloy
After you go in the barrel and do some lead mining

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wipe after each shot the same way....

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

With smokeless? I don't think so.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Paul39

OP stated he is using 6 grains of smokeless under 60 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 black powder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DD your shipping cost will be cheaper if you send it to me😁😁😁

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Boogan1
Originally Posted by Paul39

OP stated he is using 6 grains of smokeless under 60 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 black powder.

Being duplex it might foul less but wipe after each shot the same way and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't what did it cost you to try?..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So he did (duplex). My reading skills are deficient. Still, shouldn't need to wipe. That's one of the reasons for duplex loads.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Since I've never shot duplex loads, I'll defer to the real experts here on that subject. Actually, everyone who has shown up on this thread is an expert next to me... blush

Having read a boatload of stuff on loading the .45-70 going back to the dawn of time (invention of gunpowder on the Eighth Day), being mentored by Bill Bagwell, Greg Cameron and a few of the folks who continually show up on this forum, I'll make some S.W.A.G.s on the group size and placement.

1.) Muffin is a better shot than you are.

2.) No two people shoot the same rifle, same load, on the same day, with aperture sights, exactly the same.

3.) See #1. grin

4.) Skip the duplex and go back to straight Black Powder. (For a nominal fee I'll share my secret load for the Lyman 457125)

Hope this helps. whistle Pears sent...

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ditch the β€œelbow rest”. 😬

I can’t shoot groups worth a damn without good sandbags.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
But I rested my elbows on the sandbags.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Wassamatter with you wankers, all out of ideas?

I am..........disturbed.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No Dan not out of ideas. 1 st thing I learned reloading up bp rounds is that you only change 1 thing at a time. I would first wipe the same way after each shot. If that didn't fix it, I'd then know it wasn't a problem. Make sure your technique was the same every shot (I've seen the groups you shoot) but self check your routine. My own experience with duplexing is not wide and far reaching but I did not think it enhanced accuracy. What kind of clearance do you have between the end of the fore end and the frt of the receiver?..mb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First bet is leading.
Second is inconsistency in the way the gun is rested.
Wiping may help, but with the duplex shouldn't be needed and using a wiping technigue that doesn't agree with the duplex load could make for a much larger mess. Maybe try something like a slightly damp (mpro7 etc) 2 1/2 in. flannel patch pushed thru the bore on a nylon brush in place of a jag.
3rd, just flat could be the rifle doesn't like the load, maybe to much crimp, maybe adjustments in both of the powder charges? try a harder alloy.

Lastly it is seldom that two separate shooters will shoot to the same point of aim with the same rifle, happens occasionally but not something you can count on.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Shooting a Highwall .45-70 and I'm a bit frustrated. Load is 6 gr SR4759 under 60 gr Swiss 1.5 FG with a card wad under a Lyman 457125, 30:1 alloy that weighs 530 gr. Tang sight....

Now the hole at 10 o'clock is not related to the group of 5, centered around the X-ring. That was shot by my buddy Muffin with a bag rest.

Thought I'd try a different approach and got this results.

What I can't figure out is why I can't get one ragged hole for starters, and why I shoot higher than Muffin with the same load. Puzzled I am.

Tips would be appreciated. Should I install the scope? Maybe wipe the bore between shots? Change my shorts? Why does each target have two thru the same hole but the others are out in Kansas?

Frustrated Dan

You didn’t saw if the target was 500 or 600 yards away!!! If is 600 it’s a pretty good group.500 not so much!!!! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The blade front sight could be the reason for the flier and dispersed groups.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
No Dan not out of ideas. What kind of clearance do you have between the end of the fore end and the frt of the receiver?..mb

10.5"

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Whelenman, you think it premature to try a 1,000 yard group? Should I mount the scope first?

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As well as that went at 500 I’d go for it!!!! πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Concentricity of loaded rounds? If it's not good, Redding does sell a Competition seating die for the .45-70, that usually helps.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Concentricity of loaded rounds? If it's not good, Redding does sell a Competition seating die for the .45-70, that usually helps.

What's wrong with the Lyman 310 Tong Tool he's using now? whistle wink

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, AdventureBound, 4 invisible), 1,617 guests, and 789 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,201
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.