Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Who Makes the Best (or Worst) Reloading Equipment?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

What do you prefer?

This article starts with a discussion about Lee Precision.

Some reloaders poopoo Lee products, claiming that what they make is substandard. To the people who hold that view I say, Lee could not have remained in business for over 60 years if that was true. They have some so-so products, but other companies are similarly afflicted.

Regardless of what you prefer, it’s always good to keep up to date with everyone’s equipment. If you see something and believe it’s junk, don’t buy it! We all have different needs and expectations. Everyone has a budget. So if you do not care for RCBS, Lyman, Redding or Lee, read about their products and stay current anyway. Sometimes, innovation comes from the strangest places!

The rest is here. Who Makes the Best (or Worst) Reloading Equipment?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Excellent article!.. Although I do not have anywhere near Steve's extensive experience, my observations are very similar. There is a place for brand loyalty, but careful mix and match works best for loading gear.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a bunch of different stuff, a 50 year old Rock Cucker, an old Texan and a Lee hand press ( for changing OAL at the range) are my mainstays.
I used a Lee hand priming system for about 40 years bt now use the RCBS priming tool as well as their case master.
Fir trimming I much prefer the Lee lock studs and my drill press.
I use several different brands of dies but Redding. RCBS , and Lee are prominent.
I use a Harrel, and an old Lyman 55 for charging.
Scales are an Ohaus and a Redding that my father used when I was young- the price on the box is $14.00!LOL
I also have a Montana Arms BP measure, and Lee's scoops that get used regularly for my BP cartridge guns
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks, fellows. I use the Lee scoops too, Cat!

You’re right about the mix and match, Paul. It’s amazing what has come home over the years. All the best.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I still do my most of my loading with a Herter's cast iron C press that I bought in 1965 for around $13 and change. Bought a second off Ebay years later. They work forever if you keep them clean and lubricated. The problem with Herter's presses is the proprietary shell holders. Fortunately, I have a good assortment.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Being located near Higginson Powder, a distributor for Lee, I have accumulated a fair amount of Lee reloading products. I also have some Hornady, Lyman, RCBS and Redding equipment. They all produce usable ammunition. I have run across some anti Lee reloaders and bullet casters that spout the same rhetoric that one can find posted by Lee bashers on the internet. One bullet caster having never used a Lee bullet mould went on at great lengths about the inferiority of Lee products. For me the products perform as they should and I will keep using them.

Nick

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most of my stuff is RCBS which I purchased 45 years ago. The RCBS trimmer (cutting head) is a pos, so I have a Forster trimmer which I like, I put a drill on it.
I only have a couple Lee products....Crimp dies and a Ram prime, great products.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some of the LEE products are quite innovative, though sometimes QC or execution are not that great. But they are affordable, and a good value for the price. I've used quite a few Hornady products that were poorly designed and/or poorly executed, but other innovations were great. I think whether its RCBS, LEE, or whoever, they have their strong products and their weak products.

Of the stuff in the article, the only thing I can say is a terrible product are the Satern funnels. The problem with them is the brass insert and the aluminum cone are not tightly fit and get even looser with time. Powder would get in between and you never know how much powder you lost. I switched to the Area 419 funnel set from Satern because like the author, I don't like plastic funnels because of the static.

Speaking of Area 419, they are very expensive as a company for most every product they make but all products are top quality and well-designed. I especially like their modular shell holders.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had written my impression of Lee's Auto Bench Prime - their latest one - twice. When it first came out and one year later, after they made some improvements.

Lee’s Auto Bench Prime should never have hit the market before working out some of the problems. The biggest was the priming tray. It was plagued by misfeeds and jams. I never wrote them asking if they had received complaints, but there is no doubt that they got an earful from reloaders. Hopefully, they re-engineered the tray. It was a big pile of bad. My understanding is that they have since fixed the problems, but I have moved on.

This was one of those times when Lee disappointed me. I have no proof of this, but I felt they released the Auto Bench Prime prematurely and let consumers test it and report their complaints. They addressed those complaints and released an updated version. I bought the updated version and it does work. They fixed the tray and feed ramp.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have mostly RCBS equipoment but mostly I get what I can afford at the time. have a number of Lee tools and no complaints. I think a lot of people complain about them never having tried them and just figure for the price, they are junk, just not true!

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have been fortunate to grow up in a family of reloaders. Dad and his brothers and even his sister reloaded rifles, handguns and shot shells. Received the benefit of them using various brands.

Go Ahead And Backup
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Redding is my primary choice for most reloading equipment. That said, I also have dies from RCBS, Lee, Hornady, Lyman, Dilon and Herters. I have molds from RCBS and LBT. For several years I used the Lee hand priming tool, but I was having to replace them too frequently. I was loading a lot more than I do now and the plastic parts would fail. I went to RCBS with good luck for a number of years. Now I do all my priming on my Redding T-7 press.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
RCBS the best for the money

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have only read the initial post. I am sure that the disciples of the "One True Brand" will dominate the responses.

Having now read the thread to this point, I must say that I am pleasantly surprised by the responses so far.

Last edited by 5sdad; 04/10/23.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I have only read the initial post. I am sure that the disciples of the "One True Brand" will dominate the responses.

Having now read the thread to this point, I must say that I am pleasantly surprised by the responses so far.

It's nice to have a polite discussion. smile Thanks all!!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A more appropriate question for you Redgwell is who makes the best Covid booster?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DonFischer
I have mostly RCBS equipoment but mostly I get what I can afford at the time. have a number of Lee tools and no complaints. I think a lot of people complain about them never having tried them and just figure for the price, they are junk, just not true!

You pretty much nailed it. Like I said earlier in the thread, Lee wouldn't have lasted 60 years if everything they made was junk. It might be a Chev vs Caddy sort of argument. Most people would rather be seen driving around town in a Caddy.

Originally Posted by StumpDodger
I have been fortunate to grow up in a family of reloaders. Dad and his brothers and even his sister reloaded rifles, handguns and shot shells. Received the benefit of them using various brands.

That's cool. No one in my family reloaded, but we had a few shotgunners.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
😂😂😂

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have an RCBS Rock Chucker, mostly used for de-capping and pulling bullets now. A Redding T-7, for loading my rifle rounds, and a Dillon 650 for pistol stuff. I would buy any of them again, and would recommend them.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Bullet molds. Maybe not the first thing you think of when talking reloading equipment...but I am curious, has anybody else run into current production (last 6 yrs or so) Lyman molds being wonky and casting bullets that don't mike round? I bought 2 different molds and was very disappointed, for almost 3 times the money than a Lee mold you'd expect a very good bullet. I have several old Lyman's that of course, are great. I have inspected, miked, measured, experimented with changing technique...still stumped. I know it's impossible, but it's almost as if the blocks were not bored as a pair or the locating pins were pressed in crooked. Anybody?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

71 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 15 invisible), 1,043 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,485
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.