Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congrats on your hunt!

There are a bunch of great bullets out there these days. My dad and I went to Mozambique in September. He shot a 375 ruger with 270TSX. They worked perfectly. I’d say your 375 is a great choice and your scope is what I had on my 416 ( using 350tsx) when we went. I’d say a lite 7-8x bino would also be about perfect. When I go back I’ll more than likely take a 375hh loaded with 270TSX. As others have said I wouldn’t be too concerned about trying to find a load using solids.

Are you going to have to be on malaria meds for your trip? Apparently thethe locals over there know of a medication that you take IF you contact malaria…. My ph was from SA and he did not take any meds while we were there. He said IF he got it he would take the medicine they told me about because my meds were worse than the disease. I’m NOT telling you to do this but the meds I was on wrecked my GI tract! Just something to think about and probably ask your doc about if shots or meds are required for your trip. Good luck on your hunt!

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by RinB
Solids are for elephant and hippo not for buffaloes.

Exactly. Any of today's "premium" expanding bullets are enough for buffalo, and some are little too much.

All of the PHs I know (quite a few) like the Barnes TSX in the .375 H&H. But they prefer the 270-grain to the 300-grain, both because it tends to kill quicker AND doesn't tend to exit--and maybe hit another buffalo beyond the intended bull.

Yup. For this season's hunt I had told the PH I'd be using A-Frames and he replied to not bother bringing solids. Wouldn't be using them anyways...

BTW, he very much likes TSX's...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the input everyone....

I am not a big TSX guy and had concerns since the .375 H&H isn't exactly a speed demon. I have also never played with them in a caliber bigger than 6.5 mm, and with all the chatter about TSXs over .308" being designed differently, I am will be giving them a shot, so to speak.

I have 100 of the 300 grainers on the way to try out.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Be sure to try the 270 gr TSX per JBs advice. Ive heard the same thing from PHs...and FWIW the Swift A-Frame is a sure bet. 300 grainers.
Your rifle/scope combo is definitely good to go.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Ingwe.

The reason I am going to try to 300 grainers is because the American contact for this safari operation indicated the PH has no preference between the 270 vs 300 grainers and would be very happy to see me show up with either. I found some 300 grainers readily available, here on the classifieds.
Neither the PH nor I would be comfortable shooting at a buffalo in a herd anyway, so pass throughs are a non-issue. If it comes down to a wounded buffalo in a herd that I have to fire at, well then I guess it'll be a shïtshow regardless.

If they aren't accurate at all, I will most certainly look into the 270 grainers or A-Frames.

Edited: Just found some 270 grainers too and got some on the way. We'll see which shoots better.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Monkey with seating depth to get them to shoot-at least as much as the .375H&H will let you.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, the tiniest groups are necessary for killing Cape buffalo....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I thought that only applied to the Dwarf Forest Buffalo....

T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Point taken but group size influences confidence, even for big targets. Besides, I am also having crocodile written into the contract.
That does necessitate tiny groups, IMO.

Last edited by T_Inman; 04/30/23. Reason: added

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In my experience, at least, the 375H&H is pretty easy to get to shoot. Luckily since nobody wants to spend any more time at the bench than necessary with it.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Point taken but group size influences confidence, even for big targets. Besides, I am also having crocodile written into the contract.
For crocs I would use a smaller cartridge/caliber. Also with the smaller cartridge/caliber you can have a larger scope which would aid in shot placement for the crocs brain.

Just my two cents worth.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by T_Inman

For crocs I would use a smaller cartridge/caliber. Also with the smaller cartridge/caliber you can have a larger scope which would aid in shot placement for the crocs brain.

Just my two cents worth.

That thought has crossed my mind Elks, as there is a lot of logic to it…and I may still go that route.

I understand though that Zambia has a .375” cal minimum for ‘dangerous or big game’ such as buffalo, however it is just .308” cal for ‘dangerous game’ leopard or lion. I am not sure which category crocs fit into and is something I will find out before getting too crazy.

I might be getting ahead of myself here concerning this, but that’s OK. It’s part of the fun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are you willing to travel with 2 guns?

Something about crocs that has always infatuated me. Like hunting a pre-historic dinosaur. A stone-cold killer with no conscience or empathy or fear. They just kind of scare the bajeses out of you.

I understand the attraction.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 99guy
Are you willing to travel with 2 guns?

After my first safari over 3-years ago I have always traveled to Africa with two rifles, often chambered in cartridges that overlap in use. They have come in useful more often than not, partly when my hunting partners' rifles either didn't show up, or something went wrong with 'em. There's often considerable travel and time involved in getting to a gunsmith, or even just buying more ammo, for whatever reason. Also generally bring at least one spare scope, and it's been very useful more than once in a while.

Have also seen a number of hunters bring one rifle in some "magnum" chambering, and start flinching part way through the safari. In general rifles are shot far more in Africa than on hunting trips in North America, both because there are more animals involved, and due to checking the zero now and then after rattling around in Toyota Land Cruisers for a 2-3 days.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Travelling anywhere with one gun is a PITA.

So yea, true all that, but all things considered, I'm still asking Inman if he is willing to travel with 2 guns? And I guess only he can answer that question. And if so, curious what he would take to shoot the croc.

Lots of croc been shot with 375s...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I know you were asking him.

My point is that there have been several times I've been glad to have two rifles in Africa. Would rather have a spare and not need it, than need one and not have it. And my hunting partners have also been quite happy on several occasions because I brought two rifles.

I haven't found it much harder to travel with two rifles than one. That mostly involves using the right case. Quite a few 2-rifles cases are a PITA. Some aren't.

John Steinbeck
T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys.

I am absolutely willing to travel with 2 rifles, but still need to figure out the legal minimum on crocs there. It isn't like I don't have 2 years to figure it all out....
I don't really have any kind of a .308" tack driver, though my .300 H&H is plenty accurate. My super duper accurate rifles are 6.5mm and .224", both of which I presume wouldn't be legal nor advisable by the PH.

I have a solid double rifle case, as when I fly to places to hunt I usually try to take a shotgun or .22 along as well, so that is covered. Overseas with different countries involved I have always borrowed/rented rifles. This buffalo/croc hunt being what it is though, I will be bringing my own.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tiny has been dealing with smallbore his entire life.
Embrace the .375.

Vinny

P.S. Lube is your friend…..
or One Shot

Have Dog

Will Travel

T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wageslave
Tiny has been dealing with smallbore his entire life.
Embrace the .375.

Vinny

P.S. Lube is your friend…..
or One Shot

Sir, may I help you with something?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No. Just some fellow African hunter suggestions.

I have only rented firearms on the Dark Continent……..

and Kama Sutra enthusiasts. Once.

Vinny

P.S. Aim high, Willis.
Aim high.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 257 roberts, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,706
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.