Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wageslave
No. Just some fellow African hunter suggestions.

I have only rented firearms on the Dark Continent……..

and Kama Sutra enthusiasts. Once.

Vinny

P.S. Aim high, Willis.
Aim high.

If a guy isn’t obsessed with using their own rifle, renting or borrowing them is awesome. So much less hassle. Less baggage to deal with. No worry about something getting broken or stolen. No paperwork. I have borrowed or paid pennys to do so in 7-8 countries and Hawaii, and never once regretted it.

I couldn’t imagine the firearms control folks in some dirty African country stealing my favorite rifle, especially if paperwork says that it showed up and is in that country, somewhere. Holy hell…..then what?

This just isn’t the hunt to do that with though.

Suck it, Father V Card.
I ❤️U.
(In a very heterosexual way).

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In all seriousness, in my 2 trips to Africa I have used the borrowed rifles and ammo because I went on “other” adventures both times for extended periods.
If I was to fly in, hunt & leave, I would be very likely to pack my own rifle or 2.
Sounds like a great adventure you are planning and you have received stellar advice here….
mostly from me.

Vinny

P.S. glad to provide additional help if more questions arise.
Just let me know. We now accept google pay & bitcoin, BTW.

Have Dog

Will Travel

T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I went on “other” adventures both times for extended periods.

I knew it.
Glad to see you finally admitting you swing that way and are not afraid of doing so in sub-Saraha Africa.

Make sure to get tested.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
If the legal minimum is a .308" caliber for croc, then a .300 H&H and a .375 H&H would two excellent choices for your hunt. I could hunt anywhere in Africa with that combo and be quite satisfied.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I went on “other” adventures both times for extended periods.

I knew it.
Glad to see you finally admitting you swing that way and are not afraid of doing so in sub-Saraha Africa.

Make sure to get tested.

Your mind is a gutter ball.
Give me 10 our Father's & 5 Hail Mary's.

gwe lined me out on all the inside info when we dined @ Chubby's in Clancy.
I mentioned his name ALOT over there, til I realized it was doubling the price of everything.
So remember that.

Slave

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
According to on-line info from , the .375 H&H s the legal minimum for crocodiles in Tanzania, as with all dangerous game.

But like many who've hunted in Africa, I've found such regs can be pretty flexible, even for the government game scout accompanying Tanzanian safaris I brought two rifles on my safari a dozen years ago, a 9.3x62 and .416 Rigby--and was allowed to take up to three buffalo. My PH, the late Paddy Curtis, was so intrigued with the way the 9.3 put down large, tough plains game that he wanted me to use it on a buffalo, and the game scout said sure. But I had already taken a very good bull with the .416, and wasn't going to shoot another unless it was bigger--and we never found one. (Also found one site that listed what it termed .375 (9.3) as legal for dangerous game.)

One of my hunting partners also brought two rifles, a .458 Lott and a .300 Winchester Magnum. If I recall correctly, he used the .300 on the big croc he took, on the advise of his PH who preferred its finer accuracy and flatter trajectory. I know he did use the .300 on his leopard, again on the advice of his PH (and with the consent of the game scout), even though according to the listed regulations .375 H&H is the legal minimum for all "dangerous game," regardless of size.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
According to on-line info from , the .375 H&H s the legal minimum for crocodiles in Tanzania, as with all dangerous game.

But like many who've hunted in Africa, I've found such regs can be pretty flexible, even for the government game scout accompanying Tanzanian safaris I brought two rifles on my safari a dozen years ago, a 9.3x62 and .416 Rigby--and was allowed to take up to three buffalo. My PH, the late Paddy Curtis, was so intrigued with the way the 9.3 put down large, tough plains game that he wanted me to use it on a buffalo, and the game scout said sure. But I had already taken a very good bull with the .416, and wasn't going to shoot another unless it was bigger--and we never found one. (Also found one site that listed what it termed .375 (9.3) as legal for dangerous game.)

One of my hunting partners also brought two rifles, a .458 Lott and a .300 Winchester Magnum. If I recall correctly, he used the .300 on the big croc he took, on the advise of his PH who preferred its finer accuracy and flatter trajectory. I know he did use the .300 on his leopard, again on the advice of his PH (and with the consent of the game scout), even though according to the listed regulations .375 H&H is the legal minimum for all "dangerous game," regardless of size.

Good info.
That is the kind of stuff I am looking for.

Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a hunt in RSA booked for 2024. If I couldn't take my own rifle(s) I wouldn't go...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For general hunting the way it is done in most countries and not anything dangerous such as this hunt that I am inquiring about, I have zero issue not using my own rifle as long as it is a conventional rifle of some sort and I can fire a few rounds at a target beforehand. For these types of hunts the vast majority of my shots have been at well less than 200 yards and many at around 100. Never an issue---on 5 continents.

Some people feel taking their rifles/handloads is as important to them as anything else and there's nothing wrong with that. I do not feel that way though and doing so way has saved me a lot of hassle and I can only suspect some heartache as well.

Good luck in RSA.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
gwe lined me out on all the inside info when we dined @ Chubby's in Clancy.
I mentioned his name ALOT over there, til I realized it was doubling the price of everything.
So remember that.

Slave

Words hurt....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I shot one buffalo so please listen to me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
270 TSXs
74gr RL-15
WW cases (good luck in finding them)
F-210 Match primers
seat deep all the way to crimping cannelure.
DONE

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A friend just gave me this skull.
Closest I'll ever come to going hunting in Africa.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Proud NRA Life Member
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by jorgeI
270 TSXs
74gr RL-15
WW cases (good luck in finding them)
F-210 Match primers
seat deep all the way to crimping cannelure.
DONE

That is my load as well. It has been on an unsuccessful SE Alaska brown bear hunt and will be used on a grizzly hunt next year. My one and only buffalo was taken in Zimbabwe with my 416 Rem M70 and the 350 gr TSX also handloaded with RL-15.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why are you against hunting in the Caprivi Strip of Namibia? It's completely different from the rest of Namibia and is sandwiched between Angola and Botswana and Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Contact GRF on this forum, he hunted the strip for buffalo (I believe with Kowas Safaris in the fall 2021).

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’ve hunted the Caprivi 5 times now, taking 3 elephants, 2 buffs and a hippo. Also accompanied my BIL on a hunt where he took 2 elephants, a buff, hippo and croc in the first 5 days of a 10 day hunt. It’s a fantastic place to hunt with a huge range of habitats. Also the tiger fishing is good in both the Zambezi and Kwando rivers. What’s not to like? And it’s a boatload cheaper than TZ….

Last edited by jdollar; 05/28/23.
T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AB2506
Why are you against hunting in the Caprivi Strip of Namibia? It's completely different from the rest of Namibia and is sandwiched between Angola and Botswana and Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Contact GRF on this forum, he hunted the strip for buffalo (I believe with Kowas Safaris in the fall 2021).

I have already been to Namibia, and want to see another part of the continent. That is the main reason.

T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jdollar
I’ve hunted the Caprivi 5 times now, taking 3 elephants, 2 buffs and a hippo. Also accompanied my BIL on a hunt where he took 2 elephants, a buff, hippo and croc in the first 5 days of a 10 day hunt. It’s a fantastic place to hunt with a huge range of habitats. Also the tiger fishing is good in both the Zambezi and Kwando rivers. What’s not to like? And it’s a boatload cheaper than TZ….

My original post title meant to say "Buffalo in Tanzania, etc.".

Side note: I did some research and didn't really find Tanzania to be any more expensive than anywhere else in Africa, to include required taxes, but maybe there are hidden fees that I didn't pick up on??? In any event, I am booked for Zambia, 2025.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by jdollar

My original post title meant to say "Buffalo in Tanzania, etc.".

Side note: I did some research and didn't really find Tanzania to be any more expensive than anywhere else in Africa, to include required taxes, but maybe there are hidden fees that I didn't pick up on??? In any event, I am booked for Zambia, 2025.

Cool!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I’m headed to the area formerly known as the selous (Tanzania) in august with 4 Buffalo on license. Lots of guys from Midland have been with these guys, but not to this camp. I’m excited, but a little nervous about the charter from Arusha to camp. That’s a long time to be in a caravan with no place to take a leak.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 240NMC, 70 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,958
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.