Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I have my pop up blind set and hope to get a crack at a Tom next week.
Will use guillotine heads, as the range is going to be close - broadheads for backup.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Looking forward to doing the same. Still like to chase them with the scatter gun, but up close and personal is a lot of fun too.

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ha! I got a call from the landowner saying that my blind didn't survive the windy conditions we had earlier. Then he sent me a pic of the mess and a couple of Jakes, checking things out!

The blind "was" sitting over the 3" ladder that I was going to sit on to shoot....
I repositioned it and used concrete stakes to anchor it down!
If I'm run and gunning - I'll use my shotgun. If I can find a good setup, I try to use the bow.

BT53

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
[Linked Image]Just got my blind set up. First time I’ll be using one in over 20 years of archery Turkey hunting

IC B2

N
N
Good luck. i think taking a turkey with a trad setup is the top tier of turkey hunting. i have a long way to go.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I had him! I HAD HIM!!

It took me three days to finally be set up in the right place and time.
His hens preceded him down the trail from the woods and their roost site.

They fed their way past my blind with the Tom following. Everybody was calm and just taking their time - no worries....

The Tom ended up very close to me - I drew and peeked up over the lower part of the window and sent a guillotine tipped arrow at his neck - easy shot! OMG what an easy shot.....!

The arrow did something really weird and hit the Tom in the wing butt and bounced off like a whiffle ball... What the H E L L ?? AT SIX YARDS!! WHAT??

I watched them scoot out of sight - the Tom was just fine - heck, he was taking it better than I was. What happened, I kept asking myself...

Once I calmed down, I went through shot sequence again to see if I could figure it out. What I found was a cut from the turkey head on the lower edge of the blind window. It cut the blind fabric, the camo screen and hit the zipper...

That arrow hit a full 10 inches to the left of my aim point and bounced 10 feet into the air off of his wing butt. Not a single feather lost and nothing on the head.

It'll be a week before I can get back out there. Maybe by then both he and I will have calmed down and I can try it again.

He's the bird in the middle - the jakes didn't much like him.

BT53

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That’s Bowhunting. Close but yet so far!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.