Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Those wishing to rebarrel a Rem 700 that was originally a 223 to 17 Rem Fireball and want it to eject and reliably need to pull the ejector out and lengthen the bottom of the retaining pin slot to allow the ejector to extend further out of the bolt face. I’ve done several and the extraction/ ejection cycle is 100%

BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have several 17's, one is a M700 Classic 17 Rem I got from a pawn shop. I just don't use it, I should, I have a few thousand 25 gr Hornady HP's and the old 25 Berger match. 17 Rems are my favorite of the 17's.

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
I have several 17's, one is a M700 Classic 17 Rem I got from a pawn shop. I just don't use it, I should, I have a few thousand 25 gr Hornady HP's and the old 25 Berger match. 17 Rems are my favorite of the 17's.

You ever wanna thin out some of those 25gr HPs, you know who to message… wink

I’m just getting started w/ the .17s myself, and lucked in to a Remington 700 in .17FB from the factory. I haven’t shot it yet (soon!), but my plan is to shoot it with the factory barrel first. If it’ll hold at least MOA, I’ll shoot it as-is for a little bit. Otherwise I’ll get it sent off for another barrel as soon as I can. I love my .17HMR, so I imagine the Fireball can only be an improvement!

And as for our resident Loudmouth Misspeller, I put him on ignore a long time ago. Sometimes, if I’m feeling down and need a good laugh, I’ll open a few of his comments and have a good chuckle, and then I feel better. As long as too many folks don’t feel the troll, the threads stay pretty clean of cheap, unimaginative insults. smile

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Basher
I’m just getting started w/ the .17s myself, and lucked in to a Remington 700 in .17FB from the factory. I haven’t shot it yet (soon!), but my plan is to shoot it with the factory barrel first. If it’ll hold at least MOA, I’ll shoot it as-is for a little bit. Otherwise I’ll get it sent off for another barrel as soon as I can.

You absolutely want to try that factory barrel I had a 700 SPS blued sporter. 5 shot groups were around 3/8ths of an inch and after about 100 rounds with a couple cleanings it more or less quit copper fouling. My load was 20 grains of H335 under a 20 grain VMAX, remington brass, remington 7-1/2 primer, for whatever that's worth. It was hell on ground squirrels.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by Basher
I’m just getting started w/ the .17s myself, and lucked in to a Remington 700 in .17FB from the factory. I haven’t shot it yet (soon!), but my plan is to shoot it with the factory barrel first. If it’ll hold at least MOA, I’ll shoot it as-is for a little bit. Otherwise I’ll get it sent off for another barrel as soon as I can.

You absolutely want to try that factory barrel I had a 700 SPS blued sporter. 5 shot groups were around 3/8ths of an inch and after about 100 rounds with a couple cleanings it more or less quit copper fouling. My load was 20 grains of H335 under a 20 grain VMAX, remington brass, remington 7-1/2 primer, for whatever that's worth. It was hell on ground squirrels.

Tom

Well, I’ve spent most of my money on the rifle and what not and still need to stock up on powder, so I’m praying it shoots as well as yours did haha!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
if I am doing a 17 again, I am pretty sure I would do it on a Howa mini. been looking at the howa mini quite a bit the last few days. its an interesting setup. I would like to double check that fireball would feed through one, but they do offer them in 222, the fireball case is only a tad shorter. Another interesting thought is if you could rebarrel a 450 bushmaster howa mini to 22 BR and have a feeding repeater from that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a 222 Vixen that has been collecting dust since I had it re-blued. Compared to todays prices I stole it, although it was a bit banged up, hence the re-blue. I think it would get the nod and I'll probably go FB/machIV.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Skimmed over this thread. Currently available as mentioned zero for the most part.
I have had a couple of factory 17’s, ok but not great. A Shilen select in 17 Remington and a Lilja 17FB, over and above any factory rig I ever had.

I didn’t worry about feeding as I didn’t want to fool with a magazine. I have seen folks have issue with feeding and extraction with both. I agree with the above on the Howa mini, just wish there was more after market support.

I run 20 grain bullets in the 17FB and 25’s and up in the 17 Remington. You can crowd the fireball to the point of the 17R with the 25’s, but why. The Fireball will get the 20’s to 4000fps with ease, as does the 17 Remington with 25’s.
However for the most part, I found it I keep both around 3900-3950, fouling is less of an issue. If I go over 4000, it shoots fine but both will foul pretty quick.

Have a Shaw barrel I bought from a fellow, 17 Remington. Not planning on being nice to it. 15.5 Hornady running around 4800 FPS shot well out to 200. Will see what it takes to “fry” it.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jshks: That is an unusual "intention" (intending to deliberately "fry" a barrel!) you are planning.
Its your money and its your "fun" though - let us know how that project goes.
Let me tell you about a "factory" 17 Remington that I was lucky enough to find/buy and have owned for 20 years now.
This 17 Remington is an all factory stock Remington 700 with a 26" heavy stainless barrel on a stainless action with a quality wide forearm Varmint style fiberglass stock.
This Rifle came out shooting like a house on fire from day one!
I rarely shoot it at the range anymore as I intend saving this Rifles wonderful barrel for as long as I can to Varmint Hunt with.
I intentionally only tested the Rifle on dead calm days when doing load development and later for sight-in verification.
My loading log book shows the last two five shot groups at 100 yards were .241" and .196" respectively - these two groups shot in different years.
I have a silver Leupold 6.5x20 variable scope on this rig and again, use it on special occasions only.
I do not have any "custom barreled" 17 Remingtons but I do have a Shilen heavy stainless barreled custom Remington 700 in 17 MachIV to compare with and both Rifles prefer the Berger 25 grain H/P bullets. The last sight in verification group (5 shots at 100 yards) with the 17 MachIV measured .264".
My point being the RARE Remington all factory 700 VSS I have shoots right along side (if not better?) than my Shilen custom barreled Rifle. And this "factory" 17 Remington does EVERYTHING I need done!
I have been so happy with my "factory" Remington 700 VSS in 17 Remington that I have been trying to find another for the last 20 years - no luck to date.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jshks
Have a Shaw barrel I bought from a fellow, 17 Remington. Not planning on being nice to it. 15.5 Hornady running around 4800 FPS shot well out to 200. Will see what it takes to “fry” it.

I bought 1-2 boxes of those for someday when I have a barrel. Won't be trying to fry but I do want to see what happens when a 4800-4900 fps bullet meets small rodents. I'm thinking mouse-size. I don't want to shoot enough of them to destroy a barrel, just enough for rare moments of amusement.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
T O M: Now I see what you guys are up to - you are after the "red mist effect".
I get that.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
if I am doing a 17 again, I am pretty sure I would do it on a Howa mini. been looking at the howa mini quite a bit the last few days. its an interesting setup. I would like to double check that fireball would feed through one, but they do offer them in 222, the fireball case is only a tad shorter. Another interesting thought is if you could rebarrel a 450 bushmaster howa mini to 22 BR and have a feeding repeater from that.

No Mini's offered in 222:
FEATURES

Available Calibers: 6MM ARC, .223 Rem., 6.5 Grendel, 7.62×39 & 350 Legend
Barrel: 20" Threaded Barrel
16.25" Threaded Barrel – 350 Legend
ROT:
.223 Rem., 6.5 Grendel, 6MM ARC- 1-8"
7.62×39 – 1-9.45"
350 Legend – 1-16"

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
The particular 17 Remington barrel mentioned above to fry, don’t fret over it. I knowingly bought it as a problem child. It is rough but shoots fairly decent for about 20 rounds, then it’s done till throughly cleaned. It was cheap, cost was less than a pound of powder and two boxes of 15.5’s.

I am not usually involved in such antics, but I want to know how well the 15.5’s work at distance.

Got the chance last week for a few days. Not enough “participants” to fry it, so all is well. 12 rounds were shot over about 30 minutes. One adult and the rest were pups.
The adult was not as bad as a 25 Vmax or HP, or a 40 grain from a 223. We were all surprised.
The pups were a bit different, but little difference of the 20’s out of a fireball at 3900.
Came to the conclusion they are better served from a smaller 17.

Oddly on a different note, 6CM with 87 max factory ammo was not nearly as spectacular as we would have liked. Almost needled through on dogs we went and looked at.

I will stick to my initial intentions with the 17 Remington and 17 Fireball, 25 and 30’s in the big case a d 20’s in the small.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
T O M: Now I see what you guys are up to - you are after the "red mist effect".
I get that.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I get a lot of red mist factor on sage rats, even with the 17 FB. My secret is to not shoot to hit the squirrel. I shoot just in front of it, and bounce the fragments up like Shrapnel. Cuts the Sage rat in half horizontally, sending the upper half flying up in the air, and the lower half, a lot of the time, you can't find a bottom half... when you do there isn't much left of it.
When there is, its normally just the pelvic girdle, with the lower legs attached to it.

does it just fine out of the FB with a 20 V Max. I've got like 5 boxes on a sale from somewhere on line, or the 15.5 grainers, which seems even more fragile than the 20 V Max. Bounced them in front of maybe 30 or 40 SRs, and they cut them in half, and the bottom half was vaporized. Just a small test group...but the theory is still proven...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

O
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
O
Anyone have any experience with STABALL 6.5 &25 grain bullets in the 17 Remington? I’ve got a 18 inch barreled Sako riihimaki id like to get the most velocity possible out of

Last edited by Otto_Mitchell; 05/28/23.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Otto_Mitchell
Anyone have any experience with STABALL 6.5 &25 grain bullets in the 17 Remington? I’ve got a 18 inch barreled Sako riihimaki id like to get the most velocity possible out of

Just tagging this. I have some 6.5 Stabal and 25’s to try. Hope to get it done mid summer at the latest.

That 18” barrel I doubt will be your friend for what the 17 is capable of.
I got some real crazy speeds with CFE223 if that does you any good, my barrel is 28”, I got in excess of top speeds with start loads. I tore that ammo down and loads were correct.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
For the ultimate in red mist I suggest a 6mm 55BT @ 4300fps.

Spectacular

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Nosler just came out with a production run of 17 Rem brass.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Benbo
For the ultimate in red mist I suggest a 6mm 55BT @ 4300fps.

Spectacular

not for the recipient smile

but it does blow their mind... especially with a head shot.

a 70 grain TNT is even more of a good thing.... for the shooter not the recipient.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Snowwolfe: Thanks for that heads up - I have three Varmint Rifles in caliber 17 Remington and I could use some more brass.
Probably expensive - but, what else is new?
Where did you see them listed.
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
222 members (257 mag, 2UP, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 24 invisible), 1,601 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,922
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.