Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Does anyone CURRENTLY make a rifle in either of these calibers?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
tag-good question...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Snowwolfe: "I" do NOT know!
But if you are interested in a 17 Remington Fireball I suggest you look on the used market for a "heavy barrel" Remington 700 in one of the various models it was originally produced in.
Not much chance of finding a "shot out" 17 Remington Fireball as they are easy on barrels.
My 17 Remington Fireball is an exceptionally accurate 26" barreled 700 VSF (Varmint Synthetic Fluted) that came new to me from the factory shooting "lights out" with factory Remington ammunition and then with my handloads.
I know of three other all factory stock heavy barreled Remingtons in 17 Fireball that shoot VERY well also - these are owned by my Varminting buddies.
Be warned on the "used market" though, I seldom see the heavy barrel Remington 700's and Model 7's for sale - people that own them LOVE them and rarely offer them up for sale.
Good luck in your quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
If you find any, let me know. I haven’t been able to find either one, or any chambered in the hornets.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
any barrel makers make barrels for them.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I wouldn't touch anything slower than a 9 twist barrel, so the 25 grain Vmaxes can be used. Pac-Nor makes a great 9 twist .17 barrel.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’m not aware of anyone making either. That’s a shame, given their effectiveness.
I have custom R700s in both and a custom Sako in the 17R. The 700s are both heavy barrels and are terrific on PDs. I shoot 20 Vmax in both. the Sako gets coyote duty with 25 grain Bergers.
I’m sure you know but if making a 17 FB on a 700 action, be sure that the action was factory made for fireball length cartridges or you WILL have feeding and ejection issues. Been there.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Good info, thanks

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by dale06
I’m sure you know but if making a 17 FB on a 700 action, be sure that the action was factory made for fireball length cartridges or you WILL have feeding and ejection issues. Been there.

I wasn’t aware so thank you for pointing this out. This might limit my choice to a 17 Rem

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Originally Posted by dale06

I wasn’t aware so thank you for pointing this out. This might limit my choice to a 17 Rem

+1 on that info... Its relatively easy to put together a .17 Rem on a 700 action, easier to find brass for( usually...) and you can download it to .17 FB specs easily.

Last edited by ingwe; 04/14/23.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
What if you recut for a Sako style extractor?

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Holy cow!

4500??

I have that exact rifle! A commemorative 17 fireball.

I am MAGA.
BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just but a heavy barrel Savage and screw on a new barrel.

Then sell the old barrel.

Get close and wack em hard!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S

Finding a second hand rifle has nothing to do with the discussion, at least to me it doesn't. The fun part of a project like this is having a rifle built to my specs if I can't find a new version that suits my needs.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i still have 2 rifles in a Rem.17 a super nice Rem. 700 and a Sako . also still have a BullBerry barrel in a 17 Rem. 18 inch for my T.C. . someday i might as well sell the 700 and the T.C. barrel I have not used them for 20 some years ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Finding a second hand rifle has nothing to do with the discussion, at least to me it doesn't. The fun part of a project like this is having a rifle built to my specs if I can't find a new version that suits my needs.

Sorry, but that isn't in the message you originally posted. Those rifles are of current manufacture.

Here is a new one...

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...-action-rifles/of3/17-REMINGTON-FIREBALL

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Sorrty, but that isn't in the message you originally posted. Those rifles are of current manufacture.

Here is a new one...

Remington is not CURRENTLY making any rifles in 17 Remington. And the last link you posted clearly states it is no longer available

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Sorrty, but that isn't in the message you originally posted. Those rifles are of current manufacture.

Here is a new one...

Remington is not CURRENTLY making any rifles in 17 Remington. And the last link you posted clearly states it is no longer available

Are you WRITING an article or LOOKING for a rifle?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a 700 with a Lilja barrel. I don’t remember the twist but I’m very satisfied with its accuracy. 26” Remington varmint contour.

I’ve shot several coyotes with 17’s and personally don’t like the 20 vmax. Nearly always ran a pretty good ways. 25 vmax seemed much better. I also think the 25 hits pdogs harder too….more destructive.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a Savage single shot action, and put a 17 Fireball barrel on it from E.A. Arthur out of Minnesota.. I think I paid $250 for the barrel. Its a stationary rifle vs a walking varminter. The barrel is 26 inches and heavy varmint straight contour.

Wasn't what I was looking for, but it certainly cheap enough to have something to play with the cartridge and see its potential. I had a hundred pieces of aftemarket 223 Brass made on Lake City brass, I bought years ago out of some company in Illinois. Reloading it I got 15 reloads out of the brass before it split at the web.

Just passing this on Snow-wolfe.,if the experience was any help. I've considered the 17 Rem, but it had a lot of negativity to it compared to the Fireball version.... like the bore needs cleaned every 15 shots or it fouls quite a bit... hence why I went with the Fireball.

When I originally bought the brass, I did a 100 rounds of Fireball and 100 rounds of 17 Rem. I still have that around here somewhere... also made from reformed Lake City Brass.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Seafire: I concur with your observation on the long life of 17 Remington Fireball brass (and 17 MachIV brass as well).
Decades ago I had a bench rest Riflesmith build me a full custom 17 MachIV (the 17 Remington Fireballs twin). I chose a 26 1/2" long HEAVY Shilen stainless steel barrel for the Remington 700 action. I added a Jewell trigger and a Leupold 6.5x20 variable power scope. All set-up the Rifle weighs 11 pounds 4 ounces - to say "recoil" is non-existent is an understatement.
This Rifle came home shooting 1/4" five shot groups at 100 yards. It is an absolute joy in Prairie Dog towns, Rock Chuck colonies or Ground Squirrel fields.
It is not especially pleasant to pack out to remote Prairie Dog towns but I have done it a number of times.
This full custom 17 MachIV is only SLIGHTLY more accurate than my all factory stock Remington 700 VSF in 17 Remington Fireball.
Long live the "17's"!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
From this thread. I found out the 17 Fireball has a few quirks, such as ejection issues unless it comes from the factory chambered that way. What solutions are out there for rebarreling a 223 to 17 Fireball to insure error free ejection?
I am basing my decision to go with the 17 Rem based on the inherent ejection issues you guys told me about.
Fouling issues? Both the FB and Rem can be loaded to 3700 fps with a 25 grain bullet. Why would one foul more than the other?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The issue is that the extractor needs to be "clocked". The simplest is a Sako or better, M-16, style extractor. That is a pretty common change. Many aftermarket 700 clone actions have those anyway. Christensen is an example.

I have a theory, untested, that the factory 700 actions chambered in .300 AAC Blackout might come pre-clocked since the .300 BO is based on the fireball case. Haven't had a chance to look into it. If the theory is right then you should be able to just rebarrel one.

It is not a big deal, nor particularly expensive, to have a 'smith convert your rifle to the M-16 extractor. I guess that is actually superior to the Sako thing we more often hear about. I wouldn't let the extractor / needing to do that work slow me down in the slightest, just pay the money to get things set up the way you want.

The bigger issue for me has been magazine feeding. My 2 700 Fireball rifles, one an LVSF in .221, the other a 700 SPS in .17 FB, both liked to occasionally erupt spitting the whole magazine full of cartridges through the open action top and onto the ground. I replaced sheet metal, didn't seem to help. That was quite a few years ago. Could be that with all the interested in the .300 BO that new solutions exist.

Another option is a single shot action. I'd love to find a worn out XP-100 to convert to a single shot rifle. Or a Contender or Encore barrel if you happen to be into those. And of course any Ruger #1 or #3 can be as easily rebarreled to .221 or .17 FB as to anything else on that case head.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I drive a S/S 700 wearing a 10" RPM Lilja 17 Rem spout and I've not cleaned it,in multiple 100's of rounds. Hint.

My preference is moly 25gr V-Max at 3750+ FPS and I flog on it. Hint.

It wears a GB Outlander handle,TT trigger and 6x MQ. Hint.

Deer,Bears and Vermin,none of which begin to make a fhuqk. Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I drive a S/S 700 wearing a 10" RPM Lilja 17 Rem spout and I've not cleaned it,in multiple 100's of rounds. Hint.

My preference is moly 25gr V-Max at 3750+ FPS and I flog on it. Hint.

It wears a GB Outlander handle,TT trigger and 6x MQ. Hint.

Deer,Bears and Vermin,none of which begin to make a fhuqk. Hint.............
If you're not getting 3900 fps in a .17 Rem with the 25 Vmax, you're doing something wrong. Put a 9 twist on it for the 25 Vmax, you're losing bc. Hint.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SniffleKchunt,

Dangle a picture of "your" 17 Rem. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

You Lying Piece Of CLUELESS Fhuqking Schit. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Another thread gone to crap, from our own zero/hero out of PoW Island AK.

I've had zero ejection problems on my 17 Fireball, which is on a Savage single shot action, bolt was set up as a 223 bolt face. So far an experience of 2 rifles only.... I am sure Stumpy has a total of 10 to a dozen of them... he's always got more of everything than EVERYONE ELSE.

Typical response " You Lying Piece Of CLUELESS Fhuqking Schit. Hint." 2 seconds of self analysis Dumpy?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
He's doing somethin' stupid, besides having the wrong twist with the 25 VMax. The bore of his 17 Rem is probably full of copper, the dumbass never cleans it, that's why it's so slow.

Last edited by Riflehunter; 04/20/23.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's to how very WELL founded you Brokedicks' Whining Insecurities are...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint.

Pardon Splendid Wares,that simply exist,if only to your perpetual chagrin. Hint.

Fhuqking Laughing!.................

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
There wasn't much to choose from when I wanted a 17Rem several years back. Had one built on a mini-mauser. Then had WOA build me a upper. Both have 10 twist pac-nor's and really like the now discontinued 25gr Bergers.

I hope you already have brass or are prepared to form your own. I haven't seen any new 17 Rem brass in years.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by minengr
I hope you already have brass or are prepared to form your own. I haven't seen any new 17 Rem brass in years.

Rifle will not be sent off for rebarreling until I have 100 rounds of brass.

What exactly is a clocked extractor? The extractor is moved to a different position inside the bolt face?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Schlepped a 17 Rem this morning,hoping to bump into a Bear. Hint.

Pardon wares that exist ladies,as you gals Pretend aloud. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve got two 17 Remingtons. One a factory 700 bdl that’s been shot a lot. It has a very rough throat and I can usually shoot 150 or so rounds through it before I start missing p dogs that I shouldn’t have. I’d have to look at my notes but I shoot vmax’s probably over 2230c. My Lilja barrelled 17 acts just like anything else on a 223 case. I’ll run a few wet patches through it and a few strokes with a wet brush as I drink a beer at the end of the day, run a few dry patches and shoot it again the next day. I think I’m shooting cfe223 in that one. I think the 17’s fowling so badly is probably a bunch of bs passed on from long ago.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve never shot the Lilja 17 so many times that the accuracy fell off…. But I clean it anyway just to make me feel better.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fouling of yore,was a function of bore finish,jacket metallurgy and a smidge of propellants. Today ain't then. Hint....................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 17 fireball is my favorite rifle. Mine is a cz 527 and feeds 20 grain vmax loads like a fat chick giving a bj on a first date. The gun has retired my rimfires mostly. The secret sauce for mine is also running a suppressor. It has the recoil of a springer BB gun now. Kills to beyond 350 yards. Will flat out just puff starlings. It will disappear them and leave behind just some puffy feathers wafting in the breeze. Mine started life as a 204 and I sent it to gcgowan barrels for the 17 barrel install. It’s kinda crappy that the 17 caliber is somewhat limited in bullets and use because it really is a load of fun.

As for fouling. It’s not any different than other rifles. I just wipe out soak it over night after a 100 rounds and after about every 300 I hit it with jb. Fouling is a product of barrel quality not cartridge. I really do wish I had a borescope for 17. I would love to see in the barrel.

The other problem with the fireball is getting a rifle to feed it. A Remington 700 is kinda a big action for it. They also clocked the extractor differently in the 221 rifles for it. So the 221 Remington 700 are not the same with their bolt. If you use a non 221 Remington 700. It will flip the case over and t will just land in the action backward. My buddy has a 17 mk4 on a Remington 700. His has a sako e tractor mod. It mostly works fine but I wouldn’t call the feeding super slick. It also isn’t as easy to pluck fired cases out either. A rifle with a fixed blades ejector sure worked nice.

To make matters worse cz quit making the 527 and spare parts. The rifles are expensive and parts and magazines are getting tuff to source. Another rifle that seems to make a great fireball is the sako vixen. Given the prices of donor 527’s one might consider doing a vixen because the price isn’t that much different now. Or a Howa mini but haven’t heard much about how they turned out

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
He's doing somethin' stupid, besides having the wrong twist with the 25 VMax. The bore of his 17 Rem is probably full of copper, the dumbass never cleans it, that's why it's so slow.

Ya got it backwards... nothing wrong with the rifle...

its Stumpy's brain full of booze and his hygiene, that is what never gets cleaned....

He's the one that SLOW....

but hey, on the bright side... NO ONE gets more out of two working brain cells than Schtick...

that is why his groupies LOVE HIM!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Simple

Just build a 20 Vartarg (20 Fireball)

Problem solved

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Those wishing to rebarrel a Rem 700 that was originally a 223 to 17 Rem Fireball and want it to eject and reliably need to pull the ejector out and lengthen the bottom of the retaining pin slot to allow the ejector to extend further out of the bolt face. I’ve done several and the extraction/ ejection cycle is 100%

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have several 17's, one is a M700 Classic 17 Rem I got from a pawn shop. I just don't use it, I should, I have a few thousand 25 gr Hornady HP's and the old 25 Berger match. 17 Rems are my favorite of the 17's.

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki
I have several 17's, one is a M700 Classic 17 Rem I got from a pawn shop. I just don't use it, I should, I have a few thousand 25 gr Hornady HP's and the old 25 Berger match. 17 Rems are my favorite of the 17's.

You ever wanna thin out some of those 25gr HPs, you know who to message… wink

I’m just getting started w/ the .17s myself, and lucked in to a Remington 700 in .17FB from the factory. I haven’t shot it yet (soon!), but my plan is to shoot it with the factory barrel first. If it’ll hold at least MOA, I’ll shoot it as-is for a little bit. Otherwise I’ll get it sent off for another barrel as soon as I can. I love my .17HMR, so I imagine the Fireball can only be an improvement!

And as for our resident Loudmouth Misspeller, I put him on ignore a long time ago. Sometimes, if I’m feeling down and need a good laugh, I’ll open a few of his comments and have a good chuckle, and then I feel better. As long as too many folks don’t feel the troll, the threads stay pretty clean of cheap, unimaginative insults. smile

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Basher
I’m just getting started w/ the .17s myself, and lucked in to a Remington 700 in .17FB from the factory. I haven’t shot it yet (soon!), but my plan is to shoot it with the factory barrel first. If it’ll hold at least MOA, I’ll shoot it as-is for a little bit. Otherwise I’ll get it sent off for another barrel as soon as I can.

You absolutely want to try that factory barrel I had a 700 SPS blued sporter. 5 shot groups were around 3/8ths of an inch and after about 100 rounds with a couple cleanings it more or less quit copper fouling. My load was 20 grains of H335 under a 20 grain VMAX, remington brass, remington 7-1/2 primer, for whatever that's worth. It was hell on ground squirrels.

Tom

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by Basher
I’m just getting started w/ the .17s myself, and lucked in to a Remington 700 in .17FB from the factory. I haven’t shot it yet (soon!), but my plan is to shoot it with the factory barrel first. If it’ll hold at least MOA, I’ll shoot it as-is for a little bit. Otherwise I’ll get it sent off for another barrel as soon as I can.

You absolutely want to try that factory barrel I had a 700 SPS blued sporter. 5 shot groups were around 3/8ths of an inch and after about 100 rounds with a couple cleanings it more or less quit copper fouling. My load was 20 grains of H335 under a 20 grain VMAX, remington brass, remington 7-1/2 primer, for whatever that's worth. It was hell on ground squirrels.

Tom

Well, I’ve spent most of my money on the rifle and what not and still need to stock up on powder, so I’m praying it shoots as well as yours did haha!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
if I am doing a 17 again, I am pretty sure I would do it on a Howa mini. been looking at the howa mini quite a bit the last few days. its an interesting setup. I would like to double check that fireball would feed through one, but they do offer them in 222, the fireball case is only a tad shorter. Another interesting thought is if you could rebarrel a 450 bushmaster howa mini to 22 BR and have a feeding repeater from that.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've got a 222 Vixen that has been collecting dust since I had it re-blued. Compared to todays prices I stole it, although it was a bit banged up, hence the re-blue. I think it would get the nod and I'll probably go FB/machIV.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Skimmed over this thread. Currently available as mentioned zero for the most part.
I have had a couple of factory 17’s, ok but not great. A Shilen select in 17 Remington and a Lilja 17FB, over and above any factory rig I ever had.

I didn’t worry about feeding as I didn’t want to fool with a magazine. I have seen folks have issue with feeding and extraction with both. I agree with the above on the Howa mini, just wish there was more after market support.

I run 20 grain bullets in the 17FB and 25’s and up in the 17 Remington. You can crowd the fireball to the point of the 17R with the 25’s, but why. The Fireball will get the 20’s to 4000fps with ease, as does the 17 Remington with 25’s.
However for the most part, I found it I keep both around 3900-3950, fouling is less of an issue. If I go over 4000, it shoots fine but both will foul pretty quick.

Have a Shaw barrel I bought from a fellow, 17 Remington. Not planning on being nice to it. 15.5 Hornady running around 4800 FPS shot well out to 200. Will see what it takes to “fry” it.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jshks: That is an unusual "intention" (intending to deliberately "fry" a barrel!) you are planning.
Its your money and its your "fun" though - let us know how that project goes.
Let me tell you about a "factory" 17 Remington that I was lucky enough to find/buy and have owned for 20 years now.
This 17 Remington is an all factory stock Remington 700 with a 26" heavy stainless barrel on a stainless action with a quality wide forearm Varmint style fiberglass stock.
This Rifle came out shooting like a house on fire from day one!
I rarely shoot it at the range anymore as I intend saving this Rifles wonderful barrel for as long as I can to Varmint Hunt with.
I intentionally only tested the Rifle on dead calm days when doing load development and later for sight-in verification.
My loading log book shows the last two five shot groups at 100 yards were .241" and .196" respectively - these two groups shot in different years.
I have a silver Leupold 6.5x20 variable scope on this rig and again, use it on special occasions only.
I do not have any "custom barreled" 17 Remingtons but I do have a Shilen heavy stainless barreled custom Remington 700 in 17 MachIV to compare with and both Rifles prefer the Berger 25 grain H/P bullets. The last sight in verification group (5 shots at 100 yards) with the 17 MachIV measured .264".
My point being the RARE Remington all factory 700 VSS I have shoots right along side (if not better?) than my Shilen custom barreled Rifle. And this "factory" 17 Remington does EVERYTHING I need done!
I have been so happy with my "factory" Remington 700 VSS in 17 Remington that I have been trying to find another for the last 20 years - no luck to date.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jshks
Have a Shaw barrel I bought from a fellow, 17 Remington. Not planning on being nice to it. 15.5 Hornady running around 4800 FPS shot well out to 200. Will see what it takes to “fry” it.

I bought 1-2 boxes of those for someday when I have a barrel. Won't be trying to fry but I do want to see what happens when a 4800-4900 fps bullet meets small rodents. I'm thinking mouse-size. I don't want to shoot enough of them to destroy a barrel, just enough for rare moments of amusement.

Here be dragons ...
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
T O M: Now I see what you guys are up to - you are after the "red mist effect".
I get that.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
if I am doing a 17 again, I am pretty sure I would do it on a Howa mini. been looking at the howa mini quite a bit the last few days. its an interesting setup. I would like to double check that fireball would feed through one, but they do offer them in 222, the fireball case is only a tad shorter. Another interesting thought is if you could rebarrel a 450 bushmaster howa mini to 22 BR and have a feeding repeater from that.

No Mini's offered in 222:
FEATURES

Available Calibers: 6MM ARC, .223 Rem., 6.5 Grendel, 7.62×39 & 350 Legend
Barrel: 20" Threaded Barrel
16.25" Threaded Barrel – 350 Legend
ROT:
.223 Rem., 6.5 Grendel, 6MM ARC- 1-8"
7.62×39 – 1-9.45"
350 Legend – 1-16"

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
The particular 17 Remington barrel mentioned above to fry, don’t fret over it. I knowingly bought it as a problem child. It is rough but shoots fairly decent for about 20 rounds, then it’s done till throughly cleaned. It was cheap, cost was less than a pound of powder and two boxes of 15.5’s.

I am not usually involved in such antics, but I want to know how well the 15.5’s work at distance.

Got the chance last week for a few days. Not enough “participants” to fry it, so all is well. 12 rounds were shot over about 30 minutes. One adult and the rest were pups.
The adult was not as bad as a 25 Vmax or HP, or a 40 grain from a 223. We were all surprised.
The pups were a bit different, but little difference of the 20’s out of a fireball at 3900.
Came to the conclusion they are better served from a smaller 17.

Oddly on a different note, 6CM with 87 max factory ammo was not nearly as spectacular as we would have liked. Almost needled through on dogs we went and looked at.

I will stick to my initial intentions with the 17 Remington and 17 Fireball, 25 and 30’s in the big case a d 20’s in the small.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
T O M: Now I see what you guys are up to - you are after the "red mist effect".
I get that.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I get a lot of red mist factor on sage rats, even with the 17 FB. My secret is to not shoot to hit the squirrel. I shoot just in front of it, and bounce the fragments up like Shrapnel. Cuts the Sage rat in half horizontally, sending the upper half flying up in the air, and the lower half, a lot of the time, you can't find a bottom half... when you do there isn't much left of it.
When there is, its normally just the pelvic girdle, with the lower legs attached to it.

does it just fine out of the FB with a 20 V Max. I've got like 5 boxes on a sale from somewhere on line, or the 15.5 grainers, which seems even more fragile than the 20 V Max. Bounced them in front of maybe 30 or 40 SRs, and they cut them in half, and the bottom half was vaporized. Just a small test group...but the theory is still proven...

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Anyone have any experience with STABALL 6.5 &25 grain bullets in the 17 Remington? I’ve got a 18 inch barreled Sako riihimaki id like to get the most velocity possible out of

Last edited by Otto_Mitchell; 05/28/23.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Otto_Mitchell
Anyone have any experience with STABALL 6.5 &25 grain bullets in the 17 Remington? I’ve got a 18 inch barreled Sako riihimaki id like to get the most velocity possible out of

Just tagging this. I have some 6.5 Stabal and 25’s to try. Hope to get it done mid summer at the latest.

That 18” barrel I doubt will be your friend for what the 17 is capable of.
I got some real crazy speeds with CFE223 if that does you any good, my barrel is 28”, I got in excess of top speeds with start loads. I tore that ammo down and loads were correct.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
For the ultimate in red mist I suggest a 6mm 55BT @ 4300fps.

Spectacular

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Nosler just came out with a production run of 17 Rem brass.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Benbo
For the ultimate in red mist I suggest a 6mm 55BT @ 4300fps.

Spectacular

not for the recipient smile

but it does blow their mind... especially with a head shot.

a 70 grain TNT is even more of a good thing.... for the shooter not the recipient.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Snowwolfe: Thanks for that heads up - I have three Varmint Rifles in caliber 17 Remington and I could use some more brass.
Probably expensive - but, what else is new?
Where did you see them listed.
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
P.M. me if your interested in a real nice Remington 700 17 Rem. $1,000.00 and shipping ,it is very accurate but its been in my safe for 20 some years. you guys can have 1st chance

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Varmint Guy,
All I remember is Powder Valley had the best price. They were in stock as I typed this.
Nosler also shows the brass on their site.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Snowwwolfe: Thanks again - off I go.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, several manufacturers build rifles in 17 caliber.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (17CalFan, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 49 invisible), 1,906 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,720
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.