Pics or it didn't happen.

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
My answer is NONE! Use an adequate deer caliber! Not a LADIES GUN!

Hip

This schitt is never not funny!
😄

Yep.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
Abolt,
Shot many deer back in the day when the limit was 1 deer a SEASON in N.Y. State! A few 8 ptrs which were considered very nice for N.Y.!
Calibers .357 RM pistol, '30-30, 30-06, .35 Rem. .358 Win.----Some with cast bullets.
We hunt woods/forests here, if a deer is not well hit we can easily lose them!

We hunt here, not snipe from elevated stands with heat, A/C, wet bars, full kitchens and flush toilets!

Hip

You're a badasss. Are you Blackheart's twin brother?
It doesn't take much to get this Dumbo eared moron going.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Has anyone tried Nosler Bonded Solid Base , 64gr? They say they work great on deer. They're discontinued but still available with some looking.
I have a 22-250 12" twist. I'm wondering if these would stabilize.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I hate it when people ask a question with a question. However , don't any bullet companies make a .224 cal designed just for hunting? If they would advertise a bullet that is made just for pigs and deer, I think they would sell very well.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ihookem
I hate it when people ask a question with a question. However , don't any bullet companies make a .224 cal designed just for hunting? If they would advertise a bullet that is made just for pigs and deer, I think they would sell very well.
How does one ask a question without a question?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Has anyone tried Nosler Bonded Solid Base , 64gr? They say they work great on deer. They're discontinued but still available with some looking.
IIRC, ingwe has and he no likey.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I agree with that. Federal, Barnes and Nosler particularly, could market their Fushion/Gold Dot, Bear Claw, Partition and TTSX ammo as game loads. They act like their larger caliber bullets. It would simply come down to how large a game animal the hunter would be comfortable using them on.

I've been a very reluctant convert to the small caliber big game concept. I didn't even like the 6mm cartridges. My favorite caliber is still .35, but the more I use them the more confident in them I've become. I do know that if I go for pronghorn again, I'll take my Tikka .223 and 77gr. TMK loads.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ihookem
All kinds of them marketed as hunting bullets.

Partition, TTSX, Gold DOT, Bear Claw, etc.

Federal Fusion, Winchester has a 64 grain Power Point in 223. I am sure there are other factory load options as well.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 04/16/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L

I’ve used them on several deer and pronghorns, no complaints. I’ve only caught one the rest have exited and all game was taken cleanly with a single shot. It should shoot fine in a 1-12”, 22-250. Here’s an old thread where I used them.

64 gr Nosler

Last edited by LBP; 04/16/23.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LBP

I’ve used them on several deer and pronghorns, no complaints. I’ve only caught one the rest have exited and all game was taken cleanly with a single shot. It should shoot fine in a 1-12”, 22-250. Here’s an old thread where I used them.

64 gr Nosler
thanks. I see that Shooters Pro Shop has some blems for about $35/100. I think I'll buy a box and give them a try.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by LBP

64 gr Nosler
thanks. I see that Shooters Pro Shop has some blems for about $35/100. I think I'll buy a box and give them a try.
Bought a bunch of them when they were less than half that price. I'd buy them for the current tithe with out any qualms. They stabilize just fine in a 1-12".

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by trplem
Originally Posted by LBP

64 gr Nosler
Bought a bunch of them when they were less than half that price. I'd buy them for the current tithe with out any qualms. They stabilize just fine in a 1-12".

I've found them to be very accurate in my 12 twist .223 bolt rifle.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
IIRC, ingwe has and he no likey.

Dis be true. Couldnt get them to shoot under an inch ( which is actually fine...) but I tried them on a couple deer. If I were to complain about anything its that they were TOO destructive. Killed sho' nuff though!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I killed one deer with the Nosler, as said, it was most sincerely dead. Varget got them down to the "about 1 inch" mark for me, which was sufficient for my usual 200 yd or less OK deer. Bought some more from SPS recently, I'm determined to find a sub 1" group. Film at 11:00.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I’ve never used one of the 64’s but my brother and a couple of friends bought loaded ammo years ago. Small sample but I bet them and kids have shot 8-10 deer. Some pretty decent sized deer too. No drama and one shot kills the way I remember.

I don’t really have enough 1-12” twist experience to comment but I sure wouldn’t hesitate to use what has been recommended by the guys above.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
In asking my question, i was probably making things more complicated. We've used Fusions, Bear Claws and Hornady 55s with no issues. As mentioned previously, I ordered the 55gr. Bear Claws.

They came in today along with some more 62s. Looking at them side by side, the length difference is obvious to the eye. Just for the heck of it, I measured them so that if anyone was wondering, you would have the info.

The 55s were .725, the 62s. .810.

I just got curious and measured the Hornady 55 w/can. Mine are older flat base, they're .705.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I scored a really nice older M70 223 (1-12 twist) so this is great info!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Back before I started hand loading I used both the Win Power Point 64gr and the 62gr Fusion out of a Model 70 Ranger (1-12) and had great results with both. I'm thinking about two little Cali blacktails per cartridge and they performed about the same. Only ever caught two of the Power Points on a buck at 260ish yards. Both perfectly mushroomed.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JLimbo
Back before I started hand loading I used both the Win Power Point 64gr and the 62gr Fusion out of a Model 70 Ranger (1-12) and had great results with both. I'm thinking about two little Cali blacktails per cartridge and they performed about the same. Only ever caught two of the Power Points on a buck at 260ish yards. Both perfectly mushroomed.

I'll eventually reload for this one too. Both of those you mentioned above, + the Hornady American Whitetail 60gr InterLock (but has apparently been discontinued?) have been popular around here.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,501
Posts18,452,509
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.