Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Actually, a scope can only transmit light equal to the scope tube... Not the objective lens.

If you have a 56mm objective and a 30, tube, you get 30mm's worth of light.

🤔

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have had the 3-12x50(L3) and the 2.5-10x56(A9) and it is a tossup . The 56mm will be a longer scope if that bothers you.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Great info. Now I worry about my nf

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Well I avoided responding to this thread until I got a tracking number on my new S&B so you guys would not get the few they had before they got my order shipped. I know, very selfish of me.

Sometime last year I put my email into EuroOptics to have them notify me when they had in stock a S&B I have been wanting for some time. Well I got an email yesterday that it was back in stock and placed the order for a Klassic 3-12x42mm LM P3L. It has a Mildot reticle with a lit center section in the first focal plane and exposed turrets to dial.

I have had for some time a S&B Precision Hunter 3-12x42mm with a non-lighted Mildot reticle and it has been a fine scope but it only has a little over 3 mils of vertical adjustment (going on memory here) in what S&B calls a BDC dial and the one I ordered has almost twice that adjustment vertically in the dial.

If you don't need a 50mm plus objective, and I am not sure you do in most hunting situations especially with an Schmidt and Bender, I would highly recommend you give it a look.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Well I avoided responding to this thread until I got a tracking number on my new S&B so you guys would not get the few they had before they got my order shipped. I know, very selfish of me.
TFF.
Thanks for the heads up.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Illuminated dot on Klassik 8x56?is just a little larger than I like (But I’m going to use it to see how it works ) glass is awesome just a side note I have a zeiss v4 3-12x56 Illuminated as well And will give the Schmidt a run for its money on clarity and I actually prefer its illumination The off settings between the power ranges is very convenient

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Live2hunt941
Illuminated dot on Klassik 8x56?is just a little larger than I like (But I’m going to use it to see how it works ) glass is awesome just a side note I have a zeiss v4 3-12x56 Illuminated as well And will give the Schmidt a run for its money on clarity and I actually prefer its illumination The off settings between the power ranges is very convenient

I feel the same way about that illuminated dot. Yes the Zeiss #60 reticle is a far better reticle.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I went my son a text early today to order the S&B 3-12x50 L3 from Eurooptics that’s on sale.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The only comparison I have for the S&B illumination is the Swaro Z6. IMO, there is no comparison, The S&B is superior, especially in the ability to dial it down super low. For me, this puts S&B at the top of the list for illumination. Also, for me, the dot size is perfect, especially when you crank the brightness down the way your are supposed to in low light. Everyone's eyes are different and everyone has different preferences. Before investing in an alpha scope, one really needs to look through them and make up their minds what is best for them. For example, in the 1.5 x 6 x 42 old school category of non-illuminated scope, my Swaro is noticeably better to my eyes than the S&B.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
The only comparison I have for the S&B illumination is the Swaro Z6. IMO, there is no comparison, The S&B is superior, especially in the ability to dial it down super low. For me, this puts S&B at the top of the list for illumination. Also, for me, the dot size is perfect, especially when you crank the brightness down the way your are supposed to in low light. Everyone's eyes are different and everyone has different preferences. Before investing in an alpha scope, one really needs to look through them and make up their minds what is best for them. For example, in the 1.5 x 6 x 42 old school category of non-illuminated scope, my Swaro is noticeably better to my eyes than the S&B.

Have you looked thru a Diavari or other high end Zeiss scope with a #60 reticle?

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Have you looked thru a Diavari or other high end Zeiss scope with a #60 reticle?

I have an older Diavari that is exceptional but to my eyes not as good as the S&B in low light. In the bright daylight I really can't tell much difference between the two or even the Swaro Z6. They are all super clear and bright.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I have an older Diavari that is exceptional but to my eyes not as good as the S&B in low light. In the bright daylight I really can't tell much difference between the two or even the Swaro Z6. They are all super clear and bright.

I meant as far as using that #60 in lowlight. It is pretty impressive . So your experience is that the S&B illumination is better than the Z6I? I have not looked thru the Z6I .

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I meant as far as using that #60 in lowlight. It is pretty impressive . So your experience is that the S&B illumination is better than the Z6I? I have not looked thru the Z6I .

No, never looked through a Zeiss #60 in lowlight or any other lighting. My older Diavari is not illuminated and has a duplex style reticle.
For me, The Swaro Z6 illumination did not provide any benefits I felt were having the extra weight in the scope. I bought another just like it without illumination and am much happier with it. I don't have a lot of different scope experience, but for my eyes the S&B illumination is perfect.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I’ll say this I wouldn’t sell my zeiss v4 or my Schmidt Glass is great in both But the more I test this zeiss The more impressed I am with it I have a diavari 3-12x56 that is also great But I swear this v4 is right there with it There again as a previous poster stated I drug out a kahles 1.5-6x42 helia c with a #4 And I forgot just how impressive it is in low light conditions for a non illuminated scope

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

No, never looked through a Zeiss #60 in lowlight or any other lighting. My older Diavari is not illuminated and has a duplex style reticle.
For me, The Swaro Z6 illumination did not provide any benefits I felt were having the extra weight in the scope. I bought another just like it without illumination and am much happier with it. I don't have a lot of different scope experience, but for my eyes the S&B illumination is perfect.

Thanks for the clarification. I have to deal with 30 minutes after sunset where I hunt unless I go to SC where it is an hour. I have turned on the illumination very few times.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Sometime last year I put my email into EuroOptics to have them notify me when they had in stock a S&B I have been wanting for some time. Well I got an email yesterday that it was back in stock and placed the order for a Klassic 3-12x42mm LM P3L. It has a Mildot reticle with a lit center section in the first focal plane and exposed turrets to dial.

I have had for some time a S&B Precision Hunter 3-12x42mm with a non-lighted Mildot reticle and it has been a fine scope but it only has a little over 3 mils of vertical adjustment (going on memory here) in what S&B calls a BDC dial and the one I ordered has almost twice that adjustment vertically in the dial.

If you don't need a 50mm plus objective, and I am not sure you do in most hunting situations especially with an Schmidt and Bender, I would highly recommend you give it a look.

I am very interested in hearing more about that new scope, especially new dial !

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've not gotten hands on the newer version yet, but I use a 3-12x42 P3L with the 3.2 mil BDC. As I understand it, the newer version is the same but has 4.8 mil on the dial.

With any decent BC bullet/round, the 3.2 is fine for my hunting. The 4.8 would allow me to play a bit further though, so I'm hoping they will retrofit/upgrade at some point.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by stealthgoat

I am very interested in hearing more about that new scope, especially new dial !

I am suppose to get the scope delivered tomorrow but it may be a few weeks before I have time to mount it on my 7mm rem mag and shoot it. I will get a report out when I do. I think I am going to like the center lit reticle because I have a Nightforce NRX that has a center lit reticle and it works really well. I also like the Mildot reticle for its simplicity. I don't plan to shoot at real long range, only maybe 400 yards or so but I do like to do it with some level proficiency.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I just received a 3-12x50 klassik with l3 reticle. Honestly I've not had a scope with better illumination. It doesn't bleed at all. The light stays confined to it's dot. When you flip the scope around and look in the objective lens, I see NO red light. Whether it should or not, this always made me think " can my quarry see the illumination in my scope?" I could see it in every other illuminated scope I've owned. Really looking forward to hunting with it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I've not gotten hands on the newer version yet, but I use a 3-12x42 P3L with the 3.2 mil BDC. As I understand it, the newer version is the same but has 4.8 mil on the dial.

With any decent BC bullet/round, the 3.2 is fine for my hunting. The 4.8 would allow me to play a bit further though, so I'm hoping they will retrofit/upgrade at some point.
Got mine today; can confirm 4.8 mil on the new dial.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 52 invisible), 2,593 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,241
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.