Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
Originally Posted by funshooter
I have one of their 8 X 80 Hubble telescopes.
I also have a very good Swaro.
The March has better Glass even set at the same magnification.

I would Love to have one of the March hunting Scopes but the funds are not in my pocket like they were when I purchased the 8 X 80

I took my March to my favorite Gun Store when I received it.

We compared it to almost every Scope in the Store and they had Nightforce , Swaro's as well as many others.

One of the Nightforce scopes they had was the exact same price as I paid for the March.

Every Sales Rep and even a few Customers agreed that the March had the best glass out of all of the scopes we looked threw that day.

March has released the follow on version of your March-X 8-80X56 "Hubble"; it's called the March-X 8-80X56 HM WA Majesta. It features Super ED glass now, compared to the ED glass in your scope. The Majesta also has a wide-angle eyepiece with an AAOV of 24degrees. I've been playinf with a prototype for about a year now and the production model is now available. It's very spendy.

The Swaros, the TTs, the ZCOs, the S&B, the Hensoldts, the Marches, they all have great glass. The differences will be in the tweaks and various features such as knobs, reticles, etc. The one standout will be the Mach Majesta in mirage conditions and for its wide angle of view; it's the widest of any SFP scope I know and the IQ is fabulous. For FFP designs, the ZCOs and the TTs have good angle of view, but the widest is the March-FX 5-42X56 HM at 26degree, followed by the March-FX 45-28X52 at 25degrees. The TTs 3-15X50 are at 24 degrees and the ZCOs are all at 23 degrees. The S&Bs that I've looked at are between 21 to 24 degrees. I should check the Swaros.

When I took my March to the range to sight it in at the end of the day the sun was going down.
Everyone left the range and I was still shooting about 45 minutes to an hour after they were gone.

I could not see threw my Swaro. but that March was great.
I had a couple guys pack up their stuff to leave and stayed to see how long I was gunna shoot.
I let them shoot a couple rounds and they could not believe how well they could see threw the Scope.

March's Claim to fame is that they say that the point of impact does not change between the lowest setting and the Highest.
That was one of the reasons I dropped the money back then.
I was looking at an S&B but their High Power at the time was Gigantic and Heavy Cost and more than the March with lower Magnification.

Last edited by funshooter; 04/17/23.
BP-B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
funshooter I love reading your reports. My first March was the March-X 5-50X56, which is the baby brother of your March-X 8-80X56. I was upgrading from a Nightforce NXS 12-42X56. I found the March to be superior to the NXS in 2 areas: 1- brightness in the early morning competitions and 2- mirage resistance during the day. Also, the colors seemed to pop more.

The OP is a self-confessed photographer so he would be familiar with ED and Super ED glass and what they bring to the IQ table, so to speak. The 5-50X56 did a great job with the IQ, but when I looked through the March-X 10-60X56 HM with its Super ED glass, my photographer's eye could detect the greater contrast (color pop) with the Super ED glass. With the new Majesta (8-80X56 HM WA), the contrast is even better, and the wide field of view is breathtaking. But I suspect that scope is far overkill for the OP and it's SFP.

The S&B Zenith has a AAOV of 22 degrees, somwhat narrow compared to most of the FFP riflescopes I know.

Beyond the twilight factor and the light transmission and all that, I happen to believe that a wider FOV makes the whole view brigther than a narrower FOV. But that's just me.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
funshooter I love reading your reports. My first March was the March-X 5-50X56, which is the baby brother of your March-X 8-80X56. I was upgrading from a Nightforce NXS 12-42X56. I found the March to be superior to the NXS in 2 areas: 1- brightness in the early morning competitions and 2- mirage resistance during the day. Also, the colors seemed to pop more.

The OP is a self-confessed photographer so he would be familiar with ED and Super ED glass and what they bring to the IQ table, so to speak. The 5-50X56 did a great job with the IQ, but when I looked through the March-X 10-60X56 HM with its Super ED glass, my photographer's eye could detect the greater contrast (color pop) with the Super ED glass. With the new Majesta (8-80X56 HM WA), the contrast is even better, and the wide field of view is breathtaking. But I suspect that scope is far overkill for the OP and it's SFP.

The S&B Zenith has a AAOV of 22 degrees, somwhat narrow compared to most of the FFP riflescopes I know.

Beyond the twilight factor and the light transmission and all that, I happen to believe that a wider FOV makes the whole view brigther than a narrower FOV. But that's just me.

I am just a low educated shooter.
I know what I have and I try and only state my opinion on what I my self have witnessed.
My March pissed me off real bad the first time I took it out to sight in.

I mounted it on a Custom Built M21 and I put it on a bag to steady it.
I kept loosing the Target when I adjusted the power up to 80.
It took me hours and a great frustration before I realized that at 100 yards i was looking at the Grain Structure of the paper target.

Then there was the Breathing thing and my natural jitter thing to combat when on the high magnification settings.

I found out with my lack of training that my 8X80 Scope was a GREAT spotting scope set at 80X.

The highest setting I was comfortable with shooting was around 60X.

I am not a Great shot for sure and as the light was going away and things were getting hard to see.
I placed 3 shots at 100 yards that I could cover with a nickle about 1/2" off of bulls eye.

First time out with the scope on the Rifle.

I also had to combat the scope mount loosening up after several shots.
This was not the scopes fault, It was the Mount and I addressed that before the next time I took the rig out shooting.

My rig is a pretty sweet rig between the Custom M21 and the March 8X80.

It took Springfield 2+ years to build my M21 the way I wanted it.
They told me that it had been over 5 years before they had built one the way I wanted it and all I changed was the I had them put the Kreger barrel on it and I upgraded the Trigger to the Whitefeather trigger.

The March Scope was the second one that they shipped into Commyfornia.
That came from the March rep. that I talked to about my Scope when they shipped it.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
funshooter, I loved your story. I totally appreciate the fact you only want to talk about stuff you have experienced yourself. I try to do the same, but I also add that I can discuss and compare specifications found at various websites.

I bought my first March from Kelbly's about 10 years ago.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
funshooter, I loved your story. I totally appreciate the fact you only want to talk about stuff you have experienced yourself. I try to do the same, but I also add that I can discuss and compare specifications found at various websites.

I bought my first March from Kelbly's about 10 years ago.
I Purchased mine probably around that time as well.

Back then Kelbly's had GREAT customer service they treated me GREAT and kept me informed with the entire process on getting my Scope.

It has been way to long since I have looked at their web page Years in fact.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
That makes sense, and I have done just that. I have also missed on opportunities that just popped up out of nowhere with deer I had never seen before and never saw again.

A fair amount critters I kill are not pre-located, though plenty are.

Ted you’ve been around here, otc tags, lotsa people, 20 yard visabilty, brushy, wet, even in (open) country around here, you only get 1 chance around here, and western Oregon, western Montana and north Idaho. Better make er count. That said, a “scope” has never costed me an animal. Big bullets, ass shots, do nice things. YMMV

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

10-60x52

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by dave7mm

10-60x52

dave

Sweet

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have regrets about a beautiful Leupold VX-7 2.5-10x44mm that I bought from and sold to another here on the fire. I never had it mounted on a rifle or I wouldn’t have sold it. Something about it and my eyes made it truly impressive to me.

I have a Swaro z5 that hasn’t been the start of a beautiful relationship. It wouldn’t focus at 100 meters without adjusting the power ring, the parallax knob, and the eye focus all simultaneously. Bought it brand new from CameralandNY, i was hoping they would swap it out for me and handle issue themselves. Instead I got to deal with Swaro during their “systems” transition last December. Not much luck until CameralandNY gave me a guy’s direct contact info there who really took care of me after that. There was a completely inoperable parallax mechanism inside scope as the culprit. Still took a month though and missed deer season with that rifle Dec 2022. I have high hopes for it this year.

Some will say it is blasphemy, but the Leupold VX-6 3-18x44mm with center dot illumination and windplex reticle never ceases to impress me when I am hunting with it. I have it on my stainless x-bolt in 30-06, my buddy has two of them on Tikkas, one a 30-06 and the other a 300 win mag. We have never lost an animal from any of these rifles, and our shots 80% of the time are in the first or last 15 minutes of daylight. Something about them makes the image seen through it really “pop” for my eyes.

I grab my loaner 30-06 nowdays and the Burris Fullfield II 3.5-10x with LRS illumination on the BDC reticle is a challenge for me in those first or last 15 minutes now that my eyes are 13 years older. That scope was one of my first purchases off the fire when I first joined 13 years ago. Someone recommended it as it was on closeout and being discontinued. Turns out it is kind of a desirable scope still to this day with its electronic illumination control, not a rheostat control on the ocular tube. I have it on a S&W I-bolt 30-06 with the factory T/C made 5r riflined barrel and factory Timney trigger. I call it my “loaner” rifle, seem to hand it out every year to someone who needs it. This past season was a friend of a friend who’s son was obsessed with getting his first deer. I helped them scope an old family hirloom win 94 30-30 with some weird scout rail setup utilizing he rear sight dovetail, a side screw on action and a barrel pressure screw up front o prevent the front 4” of rail from acting like a diving board. Cheap Vortex 2-7x scout scope and we finally got it to hold around a 4” group at 100 yards. I gave the dad my 30-06 loaner just so he would have something also if the opportunity arose. Well i guess the kid looked the “look” of a cheap camo pattern on a plastic stocked beater 30-06 and wanted to use it instead. I got a video a week later of his first kill, man was he excited. To me that is what it’s all about. This family moved to TN from California for a better life. Both parents are school teachers so no guns owned other than the 30-30 and a pump 12 gauge and not a lot of money to spare for a scoped deer rifle. I was tickled happy they were successful, told them they can borrow the rifle every season if they want to. Glad to help someone enjoy the sport. Sorry for the rambling post, let’s see if i can post the video.

Last edited by cotis; 04/18/23.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Benefit to old age, can't really see the total difference. I like my March 50x52, and my Nightforce competition.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Testing is still inconclusive, I have been using Swarovski Z5 3.5-18X44, but Ringman has me convinced the Bushnell is a better scope…

Is that Sako stock off to the right for sale? What action size? TIA.

Tarquin
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I have a Z3 it's about the same as my Zeiss 3-9 conquest.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Like another poster has said, this has been a very good thread to read and I have learned much from many here through their experiences.

Thank you.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the good input, men.
Take care.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,160 guests, and 1,462 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.