Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
My Redding powder trickler jams up with Accurate #9. Any recommendations for an alternat powder trickler that does bind up with the fine grain powders?

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre
My Redding powder trickler jams up with Accurate #9. Any recommendations for an alternat powder trickler that does bind up with the fine grain powders?

I got one of those and a RCBS that I haven’t used in 15-20 years. AA9 flows through both my powder measures like water. Never had to do anything even on a progressive except set and go.

Swifty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mike,
Forget the trickler for handgun loads. Buy a Redding 10X powder measure. The one I been using for over 10 years is within one tenth of a grain for handgun loads.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lee Dipper.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have been using the Redding BR powder dump and it has always been spot on with AA#5, no trickler needed.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve never used a trickler when loading handgun cartridges. My powder measure works just fine. I do use my trickler for loading extruded powder in bottleneck rifle cartridges. Some even say that is unnecessary, but it makes me feel better.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take a look at the Harrels pistol measure. Very accurate. Each click is 1/3 of a 1/10 grain of powder.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc].

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Accurate powders are very, very finely ground, and usually meter like water. I cannot even comprehend needing a trickler for any Accurate ball powder. You should be able to get into a ritual when operating your powder measure to drop the exact charge damned near every time. If I can do it, anyone else can. Just get into a ritual and follow it every time. Consistency is the ticket to happiness.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Appreciate all the comments but I load very little with this powder and use a dipper then trickler and I am not going to ever put into into a traditional p0wder measure - so how about indulge me and ATQ...

Kinda seems like I am asking where is the best steak in town and the responses are go get the fried chicken at Mel's Diner

or

How about - There is no such trickler that powder is too fine for any trickler.

Last edited by Mike_Dettorre; 05/02/23.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
We DID answer the question, tricklers aren't necessary with fine spherical powders. You just don't want to hear it. We can't help you if you don't want to hear the answer. Why you wouldn't use a regular powder measure is a mystery in and of itself.

I've spent the last couple of weeks loading this summer's batch of .38 Super and 9mm ammo, using AA#2 powder, another fine spherical powder, it meters exactly the same every time I check on the scale. Every single time. AA#9 is equally as good as #2 for using a measure. There's your answer. It won't change.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
"not necessary" and "not working" are two different logical constructs.

By the way, a friend suggested trying a newer RCBS trickle - and it works just fine.

Last edited by Mike_Dettorre; 05/03/23.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
We DID answer the question, tricklers aren't necessary with fine spherical powders. You just don't want to hear it. We can't help you if you don't want to hear the answer. Why you wouldn't use a regular powder measure is a mystery in and of itself.

I've spent the last couple of weeks loading this summer's batch of .38 Super and 9mm ammo, using AA#2 powder, another fine spherical powder, it meters exactly the same every time I check on the scale. Every single time. AA#9 is equally as good as #2 for using a measure. There's your answer. It won't change.

There is your answer……………again!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I am reminded of all the sales people I have dealt with in my life; when asked:

"Does your product do X?"

they respond

"X is not necessary"

when informed that they were not aksed what is necessary or unnecessary, they were asked "Does your product do X?" they repeat:

"X is not necessary"

at which point they are explained the difference between answering a question which, based on its phrasing, requires a "yes", "no", or "I don't know" answer and stating their opinion about what is "necessary" or "unnecessary."

Last edited by Mike_Dettorre; 05/09/23.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well, sometimes the customer is flat-out wrong................ This would be one of those times. Have a nice day, self-identified Knucklehead.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Kinda hard to be wrong when you are not disagreeing with a statement but merely requesting the question that is asked is actually answered...and sometimes, people have failed basic reading comprehension and basic logic...this would definitely be one of those times so it is pointless to discuss it further. Have a nice day to you too.

Last edited by Mike_Dettorre; 05/12/23.

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 75 invisible), 2,759 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.