24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sometimes the used market is the only place to find satisfaction. I am lucky that some of the newer stuff doesn't bother me so much as to be a deal breaker, but then again Sometimes I just can't get past certain things like excessively tall turrets, reticles that clutter and distract, and stuff that makes profit for CCP. Gunbroker and fleabay have offered some relief but sometimes it takes a while to find what I want.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

BP-B2

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Saga continues. Took another look at the Sightron S1. They have a nice number 4 and I know it will track great- about $250. I could still find the Burris FF2 BP for a lot less and I saw one illuminated Bushnell 4500 for about the same price. as the S1 but it is gone now. Eyes are getting older and a lit center dot may be go to i a few years. I kow I was against the S1 but this is a newer model. Wondering what anyone can tell me abuot turrets and low light etc...

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Some of you may be following another similar thread about the new Weaver v. Burris. I responded there and have enjoyed talking your heads off on this as I feel many can relate.

After looking at both including a FF2 BP and the E1's, the Tract, Meopta, Bushnell and other more expensive jobs and an email or two back from folks I found something that checked every single box. Weight, looks, able to mount in ow rings. nice clicking easy to read turrets, good eye relief and a reticle I actually found desirable rather than one I would settle for.

You won't like it.......

I went with a....gulp..... Leupold Freedom Hunting Flex reticle. THERE , I said it..... I was not aware they offered that reticle or had seen the turrets up until yesterday. There is just nothing not to like about it so I do not mind paying another $100 to get exactly what I want. It still is not what one should call an expensive scope. I have a VX3 that, while more expensive than my Burris or other choices, has given me years of excellent service. I think the Freedom will be bright enough. Earlier doubts came from an older VX-1, my first 'real' riflescope purchase many years ago, that I found lacked in low ight -and lead me to my first excellent bargain performer, a Weaver K6, that was noticeably brighter. I went full on 6x for many years after. I started thinking how I made sure every scope after that Vx1 was fully multicoated(the Vx-1 was not) and was never let down or had to hold off any shot during or past legal hunting hours for that reason. Almost all scopes are now FMC. It was not always the case. I love the reticle, no tax or shipping charges from Doug and happy to support his business. If it does have an issue I feel more covered and confident it will be dealt with to satisfaction than with anything I can imagine buying at this point no matter what type of product may be.

Looking forward to it I will see if I can take out all my rifles and give you an honest review against my 6x and 3-9 FF2, and VX-3- and will try to keep it short.

Flame on ....

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I hate that reticle.

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I do not plan on ranging with his reticle, I have a B and C if long shots are in the making but that is very rare for me these days. I am more interesting in low power and fast acquisition.

. Confucius
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It would still be much better if the thick parts came in to about 3 moa from the center, not 10 moa out in space.

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
mathman I had Premier ( remember them? ) put one like that on an old M8 6x42 I had. Get what you are saying.
EFW has that scope of mine now. I am still stoked to get this new one. Have not bought ANY hardware of any sort in years adn really not a pressing need but... what the heck. The 6x40 Burris it is replacing has #4. My other non-Leupold is another Burris with a #4 lit dot. Love it for hunting but dot is a bit thick for load development.

. Confucius
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I bought two, or maybe three, scopes from Premier when they were getting out of the Leupold business. I wish I'd been more into it when they were still doing those mods. I would have had them put some custom ballistic reticles in several of my 6x Leupolds.

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Okay going to be painfully honest...Got the new Leupold. Initial impression was ....good. Maybe I was hoping for something more but has a little different feel as my VX3. I looked at my more recent FF2 with the larger (than original FF2) turrets and found them about the same to this Leupold. Reassessing the whole turret thing I think I telegraphed a bigger thing than it is . The Leupolds I have and one of the Fullfields have decent enough turrets. The original FF 6x40 is smaller and hard to read but seems to track okay. Some are easier to read and spin. I will give a slight edge to the new Leupold. The caps are easy to get on and off as well. The power ring is also easy to read and has just right amount of stiffness to it. I had to back the eyepiece way off to focus for my eyes but ...been there and done that before.
I have not gotten them side by side in field conditions. Not sure the Leupold is quite as bright but will compare and get back. In suburbia it is hard to judge. I was going to replace the 6x40 FF2 with the Leupold but am still load building and want a known good load for zeroing in. I am trying to get Speers to shoot with Accurate 4350 and it is not as easy as Sierra's with IMR or Hodgdon. Still have some Hodgdon and Prohunters so may throw a batch together to zero, then swap scopes.

If being truthful, after shooting the Burris again yesterday I wonder why I thought to change it. Thing is still stellar. Looked at my new Leupold #4 reticle and really liked it. Then went to my old Burris #4 and was like......umm.....this still looks great too. Full disclosure and I know I am not alone in this but I invented a reason for the scope and justified it because I haven't bought anything new in a long while. Sure being variable will be put to use but...the fixed has not failed me ever.

So bottom line on all. If doing over think I would be okay with a new FF2 with the original Burris BDC which I rather like. Half the price and has quality feel to it. If it were priced as much as Leupold.....still might get it if reticle was not part of equation. To be fair I have yet to 'use' the Leupold but....those Fullfields continue to shine.

. Confucius
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
776 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 87 invisible), 3,082 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.