Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
RAM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Photo looks o.k. but I think the MSRP will choke most.
$1800.00

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Way too much for me!

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Their website says MSRP is 1239.00.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Those prices make a good used one more desirable and probably more expensive.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF
Those prices are rediculous. I remember when a new 336 cost less than Remintons economy model 788 bolt gun and was one of the least expensive centefire repeaters out there. Now here comes Ruger with a 336 that costs as much as a Browning BLR or a model 70 featherweight.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF
Those prices are rediculous. I remember when a new 336 cost less than Remintons economy model 788 bolt gun and was one of the least expensive centefire repeaters out there. Now here comes Ruger with a 336 that costs as much as a Browning BLR or a model 70 featherweight.

Yep.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
And ya reckon Ruger is using their investment casting technology? Those guns have always required a bunch of mill work. You’d think they could make them for less.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They are forged, and Ruger had to totally retool as the parts and machinery they got from “Remington” were unusable. Have yet to see a review of these that’s anything but very positive. Henrys are over a grand, the Italian imports are close to $2k, and the Mirokus are scarce and expensive when you can find them.

These ain’t tupperware rifles, and quality costs. If I wanted one, I would happily pay for a GOOD one, rather than suffer crap at a bargain price. It ain’t the ‘70s anymore.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bought my JM Marlins at below $500 price tag. I bought a couple Remington Marlins that I believe are better than the JM Marlins in all regards. Though I do like the waffle top 30-30 - it’s quite accurate. My Remington Marlin’s are 44 Mag and 45-70.
I doubt that the Remington machinery was in bad shape. I suspect that the Remington machinery may have been different than what would be appropriate for Ruger’s investment casting.

Last edited by Bugger; 04/16/23.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Once more, they’re not cast, they’re forged steel. The article I read a month or so ago said the machinery had been allowed to rust, probably when they turned off the lights. Once they committed to retool, they were free to make some improvements as well.

I get the nostalgia felt for the good old days (and good old prices), but it’s only been a few months since I acquired, set up, and sold a pre-safety 336. It was a solid rifle, ran slickly, and shot well, but fit and finish were typical of Marlins of that period, okay, but only just that. Ruger is apparently taking them up a notch or so. That’s gonna cost something, but there are gazillions of the old ones out there for those who want them.

https://marlinfirearms.com/s/model_336Classic

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Once more, they’re not cast, they’re forged steel. The article I read a month or so ago said the machinery had been allowed to rust, probably when they turned off the lights. Once they committed to retool, they were free to make some improvements as well.

I get the nostalgia felt for the good old days (and good old prices), but it’s only been a few months since I acquired, set up, and sold a pre-safety 336. It was a solid rifle, ran slickly, and shot well, but fit and finish were typical of Marlins of that period, okay, but only just that. Ruger is apparently taking them up a notch or so. That’s gonna cost something, but there are gazillions of the old ones out there for those who want them.

https://marlinfirearms.com/s/model_336Classic
From what I've seen Ruger is putting more emphasis on finish than Marlin traditionally did. Wood to metal fit has been less than stellar however, as close up photos showed the metal to be proud where butt stock meets receiver. Ruger is better at fuggin up mechanicals than anybody IME and that was clearly visible in one video of the 1895 from target suite where the hammer rode the bottom of the bolt throughout it's travel. It ain't supposed to do that. Ruger calls their version the 336 "classic" but it really isn't that, as the classic Marlins had a more utilitarian, workaday finish overall. What Ruger has done is taken the classic Marlin, which was a blue collar working mans rifle, finished and priced accordingly and made a "deluxe" version that is anything but "classic Marlin".

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think the working class is buying Ruger Americans, Mossberg Patriots, and whatever they call the cheap Savages, and mounting Vortex scopes (at best) on them. We’ll see if the market supports the Ruger notion of what lever-guys want. The 1895s sure seem to be a success, based the prices they brought at first. No idea if that’s still “normal”.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I think the working class is buying Ruger Americans, Mossberg Patriots, and whatever they call the cheap Savages, and mounting Vortex scopes (at best) on them. We’ll see if the market supports the Ruger notion of what lever-guys want. The 1895s sure seem to be a success, based the prices they brought at first. No idea if that’s still “normal”.

At $1200 they won’t be buying Marlins. The way to reduce costs of the new machinery is to sell lots of rifles. Each rifle they sell helps to dilute the cost of that new machinery. I’m not saying that they shouldn’t improve the rifle and get what they need to be profitable, but I think Ruger screwed up by taking what used to be an affordable utilitarian rifle and turned it into a rifle for loonies. It’s going to be hard for the typical hunter who remembers Marlins costing $300-400 just a few years ago to justify spending 3-4x that much on a new Marlin.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I doubt the working class is the market they’re after. Since demand for the .45/70s was so strong the prices they brought were far over the retail price, and Ruger wasn’t getting that boost, jobbers and gunshops were. If they sell all they can make at a profit, then the rifle is a success, regardless of who buys them.

Take a look on GB and GI at the prices the previous editions are bringing, even the Remlins and hardwood-stocked 30As. I don’t thing $1200 for a new, arguably improved 336 is out of line with the current market at all. What was was, but what is is. I won’t be buying one, as my recent adventure with a classic one, while “educational”, showed me once again that a light bolt-action is far and away better for my use than any lever gun. Y’all can scramble for the old ones or pony up for the new ones without me.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
I think Ruger screwed up by taking what used to be an affordable utilitarian rifle and turned it into a rifle for loonies. It’s going to be hard for the typical hunter who remembers Marlins costing $300-400 just a few years ago to justify spending 3-4x that much on a new Marlin.
I agree. Thankfully, I already have three good .30-30's so won't be needing any of Rugers pseudo Marlins.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

At $1200 they won’t be buying Marlins. The way to reduce costs of the new machinery is to sell lots of rifles. Each rifle they sell helps to dilute the cost of that new machinery. I’m not saying that they shouldn’t improve the rifle and get what they need to be profitable, but I think Ruger screwed up by taking what used to be an affordable utilitarian rifle and turned it into a rifle for loonies. It’s going to be hard for the typical hunter who remembers Marlins costing $300-400 just a few years ago to justify spending 3-4x that much on a new Marlin.
Been a good while since a blued/walnut Marlin was priced at $300-400, NIB.

I remember when a blued/walnut BDL was about $500, now probably knocking on a grand?? They will sell.

A lot of stuff out there now is double what it used to be.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 04/17/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I remember when a blued/walnut BDL was about $500, now probably knocking on a grand?? They will sell.

Marlin 336C's were traditionally much cheaper than a Remington 700 BDL. Back in 1962 when the Remington 700 was introduced, the 700 BDL had a suggested retail of 139.95 in standard calibers and 154.95 in magnum calibers while suggested retail for a Marlin 336C was 86.95.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My brother bought a New Remlin 336W {birch stock} from Wal-Mart for just over 400.00 back in 2017. A co worker bought a new 336CS that same year for 600.00 and change. I don't consider that so long ago. Before Biden used JM 336C's were plentiful for 400 - 500.00 around here. Marlin 336C's were traditionally much cheaper than a 700 BDL. In 1962 when the Remington 700 was itroduced, the 700 BDL had a suggested retail of 139.95 in standard calibers and 154.95 in magnum calibers while suggested retail for a Marlin 336C was 86.95.
With confirms the fact that it's been a good while since a NIB walnut/blued 336 was $300-400.

And before Biden used BDLs were in the sub $500 range as well.

Personally I don't have an issue with a walnut blued Marlin being about $1k street price when budget rifles are $450-500 and Tikkas that were once under $500 and probably less than the Marlin at the time the co-worker bought are probably $700-800 now.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

My brother bought a New Remlin 336W {birch stock} from Wal-Mart for just over 400.00 back in 2017. A co worker bought a new 336CS that same year for 600.00 and change. I don't consider that so long ago. Before Biden used JM 336C's were plentiful for 400 - 500.00 around here. Marlin 336C's were traditionally much cheaper than a 700 BDL. In 1962 when the Remington 700 was itroduced, the 700 BDL had a suggested retail of 139.95 in standard calibers and 154.95 in magnum calibers while suggested retail for a Marlin 336C was 86.95.
With confirms the fact that it's been a good while since a NIB walnut/blued 336 was $300-400.

And before Biden used BDLs were in the sub $500 range as well.

Personally I don't have an issue with a walnut blued Marlin being about $1k street price when budget rifles are $450-500 and Tikkas that were once under $500 and probably less than the Marlin at the time the co-worker bought are probably $700-800 now.
That's just it. Back when I was buying my first centerfire rifles in the 1970's, the Marlin 336C WAS a budget rifle. It pretty much stayed that way right up until Ruger, always considerably less expensive than a 700 BDL, model 70 or BLR. I guess to a young whipper snapper, 6 years ago seems like a long time. To me it seems like yesterday.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope , seems like yesterday here.

I am not talking about the birch stocked budget model as that isn't what's being produced.

You even said yourself the blued/walnut were $600 in 2017.

I bought a used BDL in about 2019, $460, probably only $100 more than a good clean, used walnut/blued Marlin at the time.

Time will tell but I bet they have no problems selling them to the lever gun crowd.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 04/17/23.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.