Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
cas6969 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
One thing buying a bore scope showed me is that despite the nice job I'm doing on cleaning my muzzle loader's barrels, the breech ends are a horror show. I don't know if it's from prior owners, from me, or both, but I was surprised at the rough, rust conditions down in there. (traditional rifles, not easily removed breech plugs)

That made me start to thing about an ultrasonic cleaner. Obviously unless you bought some high dollar monster, you couldn't put the whole barrel it, but my interest is just the nooks and crannies on the breech, flash channel and what have you. Just sticking the end of the barrel in it. Hooked breeches would work well. Tang breeches would present more of a problem, requiring a deeper unit. Which from what I see, don't come easy. Even as they get larger and larger, they don't seem to get much deeper.

So just wondering if anyone's using one for that.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't . People have been using muzzle loaders for several hundred years not having a bore scope and have killed a lot of game or punched holes in paper.

My cap lock, I remove barrel from stock, set the breech in a bucket of hot soapy water. Using a tight patch, suck the soapy water up and back thru the bore. Blow out with a compressor and run a few patches saturated with alcohol thru it and let dry. Oil and put away

Guys buying bore scopes are finding problems that are not problems, then worrying about them.

Inlines with a removal bore plug, I brush with solvent, Give several squirts with brake of carburetor cleaner, then flush out with alcohol. Oil

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i bought a small wall paper steamer that i use to clean out my pinned barrels. has a nozzle end that takes the connector of a O2 hose or just a piece of tubing that fits the bore.
shoved to the breach and slowly withdrawn it steam cleans the bore. finish with an Alcohol swab and finish with the oil of choice.
one thing i have to watch out for is getting the browned barrel too hot. will turn browning black/blue.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
cas6969 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore
People have been using muzzle loaders for several hundred years...

Right off the bat, number one, the answer I was expecting. Just not the answer to the question I was asking. Ah.. the internet.

YES, I know how to clean them. I'm exploring easier, better ways to clean them.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Here was your question. "So just wondering if anyone's using one for that." I answered it " I don't" . Yea the internet asking for answers for problems that don't exist.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
No ultrasonic cleaner here, so I'm a definate no. Lol! We all have our own cleaning methods, and as I clean my guns, I've never seen an accuracy issue other than myself. I guess if I did see accuracy issues, I'd look for another cleaning method.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
No

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've wondered the same thing mostly for cap and ball pistols..
I have two ultrasonic cleaners and haven't tried it yet. decided on what formulation might be best..

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've wondered the same thing mostly for cap and ball pistols..
I have two ultrasonic cleaners and haven't tried it yet. decided on what formulation might be best..

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'd be curious if an ultrasonic cleaner would work for small parts and pieces such as a breech plug.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't use them. If you decide to use an ultrasonic cleaner, don't use it on cerakoted or plated parts. Ultrasonic cleaners can lift plating and cerakote finishes, as well as other delicate finishes such as hydrodipped camo finishes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 3,335 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.