Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1834917 11/30/07
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have shot several BLR's and in general have been impressed with the accuracy. I'd be very grateful for anybody's report on accuracy in their BLR.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just had one, a BLR 81 in .308 with a Leupold M8 4X, that was in the early 80's. Used Speer 150 Spitzers and Hornady 150 SP's in it with Win 748 and IMR4895. I loaded the bullets to the 2800-2825 fps range, this was measured with an old octal readout Oehler Model 12. It would group five shots of most all loads in a consistent 1" to 1 1/4". I was quite impressed with it.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would group five shots of most all loads in a consistent 1" to 1 1/4". I was quite impressed with it.

I have an older steel frame, straight grip, M81 .308 with the skinny carbine 20" barrel. My dad has an identical twin to it. Both our guns will shoot just like the quote above with Hornady 165 gr. flatbase InterLock spitzers. The powder and charges vary between their two favorite loads, but once the best combo's were found for each, they have been extremely reliable shooters. Dad's BLR is his only "deer rifle" and he has used the heck out of it for many years. I have other rifles, but I also use mine quite often. In fact, I killed a nice plump doe on a bonus tag with mine this year and Pop hammered a little buck with his. We hunt the Ozark timber and brush country and there aren't many rifles better suited to our terrain and style of hunting.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Had a .358 about 20 years ago. Shot one inch groups at 100 with factory Winchester and Norma stuff. Sold the gun due to mushy trigger and muzzle light feel. Finally got another .358 in a 99 Savage a couple years ago.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi MD,

I have a BLR lightning with pistol grip stock in .270. Accuracy is quite good. With factory 130gr Powerpoints and a 3-9 Leupold in Warne Maxima QD's it would put 3 shots in well under 1 inch at 100 and 5 in 1.5 - 1.75 inches. Pretty damn fine for that skinny short (& loud) barrel.

Only started to develop handloads but couldn't really do much better than the factory load. (which shot better than the 130gr Supreme load BTW).

Never hunted with it cause it was so unreliable. For some reason it refused to go "Bang" each time you pulled the trigger. Wrote to Browning 2x and never even got a reply. Sent it to a very knowledgeble smith and he thought it needed a new cam which is why I wrote to Browning. Another smith reckons the problem is simpler and merely due to the 2 piece firing pin assembly. Still waiting for it to be fixed.

BTW when it does not fire, the hammer falls but there is not even an indentation on the primer.

If you know how to fix this let me know & also how to make the trigger pull better.

Regards,
JohnT

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I had a BLR in 7 MM Rem Mag. in the early 90's, long before I got into reloading. This BLR with Federal Premium 175 gr. Partitions would shoot a 1" group without a hitch. I sold this rifle because it weighed too much. I just recently bought a BLR Stainless in 325 WSM ( much lighter). I hope that this shoots just as well!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a new BLR about 3 years ago. I mounted a Leupold 2.5-8 scope on it and took to the range to check it out. The first load I tried was supposed to be just a familiarization thing, so just loaded some Speer 220 grain bullets at about 1 grain under the max according to the Speer manual. That load went into just under 1.5" for 3 shots. I stopped load development right there and don't see any reason to pursue it any further. That rifle will consistently put them between 1" and 1.5" when I do my part.

I picked up some Speer 250s at the time to try, but have yet to load them up. I'm not sure I want to take a chance to upset the juju magic of the other load.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jayhawker
I bought a new BLR about 3 years ago. I mounted a Leupold 2.5-8 scope on it and took to the range to check it out. The first load I tried was supposed to be just a familiarization thing, so just loaded some Speer 220 grain bullets at about 1 grain under the max according to the Speer manual. That load went into just under 1.5" for 3 shots. I stopped load development right there and don't see any reason to pursue it any further. That rifle will consistently put them between 1" and 1.5" when I do my part.

I picked up some Speer 250s at the time to try, but have yet to load them up. I'm not sure I want to take a chance to upset the juju magic of the other load.

What caliber is this BLR in???

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like it would be a 358 Win.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My BLR (.358 Winchester) shoots 250 grain Hornady Interlocks into 0.6 inch. It shoots 225 grain TSXs into 0.7 inch. It is surprisingly accurate for a lever action.

Where did you say we are going? And why are we in this handbasket?
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It takes 200-300 rounds before the trigger and barrel on a BLR start to break in... then they tighten up.

Spot

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have owned and shot Browning steel framed BLRs a lot for the last 15yrs or so. I have owned many other rifles, but the BLR has been more accurate then many of them including many boltactions. I have a .308 that will consistantly shoot inch and a half to two and a half inch groups at 200 yards with factory 180gr Slivertips. Since I have stocked up heavely on this factory load, I have seen little need to handload for this rifle.

My brother in law owns two of these steel framed BLRs in .308, but doesn't get to hunt with either one, and is now looking for a third, because his two boys have taken them over. I own a second BLR as a backup, just in case anything ever happens to my first one. We also own many boltactions, but frankly, my boltactions don't get out much, for deer hunting because the BLRs work too well for the hunting we do.

I used to own another BLR (older steel framed gun with the old rounded magazine that hung out the bottom in 358 Win. This gun would put 200gr roundnoses and 180gr speer points into the same spot at 200 yards. It was very accurate, with many groups around an inch and half to two inches at 200yds. Unfortunately, this gun was unreliable in feeding. I tried fixing it, even purchased another Magazine for it, but finally gave up, got rid of it. The older BLRs with the rounded Mag are not as reliable as the next generation that had the flat bottom Mag. While they usually work OK with .308s, the fatter necks of the .358 created problems, and the design of magazine feed lips was the problem. I really hated to part with that gun, but I can't stand an unreliable gun, no matter how accurate it is.

IMHO the best of the breed was what I call the second generation BLR which had the steel frame, non folding hammer, and flat mag housing. Personally, I think they went down hill after this generation, however next generation with the steel frame and folding hammer is a good gun, I just don't see any need for that stupid folding hammer. The BLRs were also best in the short action calibers. This configuration was the handiest, the newer lightweigh models feel too clubby to me.

So now we have another gun, that is not what it used to be, because some bean counter or engineer who probably never hunted in their life, decided to redesign it and it wasn't for the best.

Last edited by Lastmohecken; 11/30/07.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've found that both the original style and the 81 steel receiver models shoot the best groups when the forearm bolt is tightened up just as tight as you can get it.
With their favored handloads they'll generally clover leaf 3 shots at 100yds, the next 2 rounds will open the group to 1.5 or 2 inches. Those whispy barrels heat up quick.
I've also been really happy that those 20 inch barrels, in 243 and 308 don't give up enough velocity to the longer barrels to worry about.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Don't know why but I got much better groups when I changed my scope rings over to talley light weights. (intergral rings / mounts)

Spot

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just put some Hornady 180 grn.'s through my 358 and I found the groups tightend up to an inch or a hair more for three shots.

Dan

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
the only one i had that would not go under 1.5" was a 243.. all the rest (all the 08' based cartridges) all appreciated the horny sp's and above moderate velocities..

the 08' and the 358 were solid with just about anything.. the 7 took a wee bit.... i would dearly love one of the older 81's in 260 smile

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

John,

I had a BLR in the mid-eighties in 22-250 when as a lefty I was casting about for a walk-about varminter. I don't know where in the BLR's existence this rifle fell or whether "steel" model or not but with factory ammo it failed my "varmint test" of less than 1.5" at 100 yds with anything tried. I did not have the knowledge or desire at that time to do any minor tinkering, so my description of its accuracy is as it was out of the box.

Gdv

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
JohnT,

Sorry, I have no idea why your rifle doesn't go bang. I have had that problem with some other individual rifles over the years (though not a BLR) and it is always depressing. I mean, a rifle that won't go bang is sort of like a bicycle without wheels. What's the point?

Thanks to everybody for the feedback. Am working on an essay about rifles OTHER than bolt actions, and am in general finding they shoot a lot better than most bolt-action addicts expect!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I picked up a new pistol grip laminate stainless 308 and mounted a 1.75-6x32 elite 4200 on it and am not very happy with the accuracy. It seems to shoot the first 2 shots of a 3 shot group real tight but the 3rd shot seems to be a flier. I had my buds try it and it does the same thing when they shoot it. I must say the first 2 shots always sem to be within a half inch, and at 200 yards the first 2 shots were within a inch just that 3rd shot is always a flier. could the barrel be heating up or any other ideas or suggestions? I really like how the gun handles and hate to give up on it. Also it only has about 3 boxes of shells thru it so could it tighten up with use? Thanks for any insight.

Last edited by vthunter; 12/01/07.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sounds like someone took it apart and could not correctly adjust the timing when they assembled it.

Never hunted with it cause it was so unreliable. For some reason it refused to go "Bang" each time you pulled the trigger. Wrote to Browning 2x and never even got a reply. Sent it to a very knowledgeble smith and he thought it needed a new cam which is why I wrote to Browning. Another smith reckons the problem is simpler and merely due to the 2 piece firing pin assembly. Still waiting for it to be fixed.

BTW when it does not fire, the hammer falls but there is not even an indentation on the primer.

If you know how to fix this let me know & also how to make the trigger pull better.

Regards,
JohnT[/quote]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Am working on an essay about rifles OTHER than bolt actions, and am in general finding they shoot a lot better than most bolt-action addicts expect!

JB,
That should make for interesting reading. There actually ARE rifles other than bolt actions that shooot accurately. Remington 7600 slide actions, Browning BAR's, AR-15's, Browning BLR's, Marlin levers, Savage levers, ect... While I appreciate a nice bolt gun, I can also appreciate other rifles. A lot of old timers simply wanted the best tool for the job, and that isn't always a bolt gun. These old fellows weren't "gun cranks", they were hunters first and foremost. They needed to make winters meat and enjoyed the hunting and not fiddling with bedding and the many minute details a gun crank douts over. They couldn't care a whit if the rifle shot a group that spread a tad over the magical one MOA mark. If the gun shot well enough to make meat that was fine. It was the way the gun carried and handled that mattered most!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have owned two. I still own the first a 257 roberts with the flat mag. The second was a 7mag that was a decent shooter but was a clunky" for lack of better word" handler, lever throw felt really long and awkward. The bob will shoot 5 in 1&1/4 most of the time and i shot a 2&1/2 300yd group" was so good i refused to try to reproduce it". Incidently the bob wears a 4x leupy and my best loads are with sierra 120's and h4831. Nice saddle gun but it bugs me that browning sets these up for iron sights and they have more drop to the comb than any gun they make.

Fourth Generation Border Rat
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
T
I have an older BLR 81 in 243 and it is the least picky rifle I have as far as ammo goes, it puts just about anything with in a inch if I do my part

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
MOGC,

Yeah, the rifle you mention are those I specifically deal with in the article. I have a Rem. 7600 in .308 on hand right now, as a matter of fact, that shoots around an inch with factory loads, and my own AR-15 (Bushmaster carbine with skinny 16" barrel) is well under an inch with my standard .223 handloads. So the essay will probably stir up the troops.

To all, thanks again for the information you've provided.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here is a pic of a typical target from my main coyote calling rifle, a .243 BAR Lwt. Synthetic with factory ammo.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have only shot 1 BLR that I owned for a short time. Early Steel BLR in .358, very accurate with a Peep Site put 1st reloads into very small group at 80 yds. Seemed to shoot well with all loads with minimal load work up. Did not like stock so I sold it.
Owned 2 other NIB BLR,s for a while but sold them before I shot them. One was in 22-250 wish I kept it, would have made a great walk about varmit rifle for a leftie.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
MD, I have--at one time or another--3-308's(all pre-81), 2 358's(one pre-81 and one of the new ones), and one 7mm-08 in a model 81. Every one of them has been sub MOA, and all three 308's scary accurate. The .308's will shoot as good as most bolt actions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My old pre-81 BLR in .358 Win will shoot under a 1.5" group at 100 yards anytime. Most groups are about 1" if I stop at 3 shots. That goes for handloads and the 200 grain silvertip factory loads. I have a 1.5-5x Leupold on it with a HEAVY crosshair, and I am convinced I can shrink those groups with a different scope. The trigger is horrible on my rifle!

I think most folks can expect <1.5" groups from out of the box BLR's on a regular basis, despite the trigger. A friend has the newer BLR in .300 WSM, and gets the same accuracy as I do.

I did have a very old made in Belgium BLR (first year or 2 of BLR production)in .308 that did not shoot as well, but I did not handload at the time I owned it, and did not experiment with different factory rounds.

Browning really cornered the market with the BLR by chambering it in "non traditional" lever action/carbine rounds.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi Mule deer

My BLR is a straight grip 358 Winchester topped with a 2 X 7 Leupold vari X 1. My curent handload consist of 47 grains of Hodgdon 4895,Hornady 200 grain soft point flat base bullet and Winchester LR primers. I am getting 1.5 to 2.oo inch groups at a 100yds.
I chose the Hornady bullet based on a article you did awhile back( can't recall thre name of it) This year I killed my first doe with my handload. One shot appr. 25-35 yds. doe ran about same distance.I am pleased with the performance of the Hornady bullets. Did not do a post mortem the deer was dropped off to be processed. Look forward to the article.
Thanks for the articles and sound advice

358win

Last edited by 358win; 12/04/07.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
My BLR is a 7mm mag aluminum reciever. With handloads loaded to the lands, it will shoot 5 shot groups from .8"- 1". After trying dozens and dozens of factory loads, the best one was right at 3" groups, with the average factory load being in the 5" range. I sent it in and Browning says it is in spec so I'm stuck with it. My former gunsmith, now deceased, found what was wrong with it and it requires a rebarrel, a costly fix if done well, with the 6 lugs of the bolt locking into the barrel and not the reciever. The chamber is not cut in line with the bore, but it is close enough to be "in spec" as far as Browning is concerned. I've never seen a new BLR(mid 90's on up) that did not have a terrible trigger, both weight of pull and rough, expect to pay a smith to fix that.

Last edited by Karl Haemmerlein; 12/07/07.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Yes, often the BLR's need a trigger job, although I have had a few that were pretty good, Well at least decent. In reality, I have had plent of Remington 700's and Ruger77's with terible triggers, however, it is usually eaiser to fix the trigger on the bolt guns or replace with a Timiney.

I paid a gunsmith to give me a decent trigger on my first BLR and it's still shooting good after many years.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good topic. Just to ask, with Browning coming out with the take-down BLRs, does anyone have any experience with these? I'm thinking of getting one in 308 Win as I plan on booking some hunts in faraway places and a take-down rifle would be nice to have as it would reduce the size of one of my pieces of luggage.

- John Spartan

Likes hunting with old leverguns.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1990's japanese BLR '81 in 308 w/steel frame, and straight grip with barrel band, & skinny little 20" barrel, and it shoots the cheap-o remngton and Winne ammo from Wally world, paying no attention to lot numbers or brand, just weight of bullet, into 1.5-1.75" with ease. Scope is a Leupy 3.5 x 10. I was about to buy a reloading rig, but my good buddy just moved back to town, complete with full RCBS setup in tow, and has offered it's use if I buy him 2 sets of dies he wants - like I would turn that deal down!

I intend to develop a good load for it (taking magazine length into due consideration), and also to try it without the little barrel band, as it appears to have little to no use, and bet I can shrink it to 1" with little effort.

I got a great trade on mine and did not care for it at first as it was neither modern enough or traditional enough to suit me, but the BLR is one of those unsung rifles that are just great for hunting. The combination of quick lever-action firepower,a hammer that is always handy yet always safe, and powerful standard cartridges + excellent accuracy make it a great combo. Pair that with a box magazine for easy loading/unloading (unlike the King gate on traditional guns), and you have one that is TOUGH to beat!

My gun is quickly establishing itself as my "go to" gun for Southeastern white-tail hunting. This year I intend to have the metal surfaces tefloned, and then i may have the Exotic Synthetics guys work thier magic on the stock, thus making it as beautiful as it is functional.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have seen a number of them that shot exceptionally well. They are a nice rifle IMO..I would not hesitate to buy one.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
For the last 33 years, my early Jap .308 will put the first three 150gr Sierra flatbase handloads in a nice tight group. After those three rounds though, that thin hot barrel spreads them to just about an inch or so. My .257 from the mid-1980's holds an inch with 100gr Hornadys (pre-Interlok) and Nosler solid bases. Never tried any others. My .223, also from the 80's, with its cheap scope, stays between .75 and one inch for five rounds with the old Hornady 55gr Frontier factory loads I bought about a century ago. Bought several cases on a super closeout when a local shop closed. May have to find my dies soon. The only "tuning" done was to clean up the triggers on the .223 and .257. Being two piece stocks, they bench more consistantly for me with the bags or rest under the action rather than the forearm. Overall, I basically quit carrying bolt guns after finding these. For my needs, they are accurate enough, they're handier, more lively for a field gun and reach as far as I can hit. What more is there to ask?

Last edited by blackhawk44; 12/11/07.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After all this talk, I gotta have me one too - it's on my Christmas list.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just bought my wife one for Christmas in .308 with the rounded pistol grip. Used but is in mint condition.

What's a good scope for it?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Marlinlover,
Check out my "heresy" thread for a sampling of scopes that folks are using on levers.

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I have two BLRs.Both have low power variable scopes. One is in 308 with an alloy reciever,pistol grip stock and no barrel band on the fore end. The rifle shoots like a good bolt action. It will put three Hornady 150 grain factory loads into an inch or better at 100 yards. I don't know how it groups any other load,this is the first one I tried and quit looking. I don't know how it shoots for five rounds either.

My other BLR is from a recent run of 358 winchesters. It has a straight grip stock and a barrel band fore end. It has shot three different loads into about two inches at 100 yards. I figure it's relative inaccuracy is either due to the barrel band or the mighty thin barrel,358 is a big hole in such a light barrel. Practically speaking,I'm happy with both guns,either has plenty of accuracy for any task that I would pick for their respective calibers.

Both guns are light,handy,responsive and feed and function perfectly. The only thing I don't like is the trigger pulls,but it must not bother me too bad because I have not bothered to get em fixed.

Britt

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was informed on another board that the newer BLR's have plastic gearing inside - can anyone confirm or deny?

I really want one, as they come to my shoulder almost perfectly, but I'm not a fan of plastic gears in anything.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ruraldoc,
Heck, that .358 bullet is so big you should be allowed to subtract at least and inch from the group just for that fact alone!

Last edited by Triggernosis; 12/17/07.
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
This has come up before,according to gunsmiths who do a good bit of work with BLRs,it is a myth.

Britt

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Britt,
You are correct. I just got off the phone with Browning and they said that the gear was indeed metal, not plastic.
The BLR is back on my Christmas list for sure!

Now, which caliber shall I get? Hmmm.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Owner of a .358 Win BLR - factory loaded silver tips from Winny are in the 1 1/2" to 2" range. Plenty accurate for my style of hunting in thick areas where shots are 10 yards to 80 yards max...

Overall, I really like the gun...

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Britt,
You are correct. I just got off the phone with Browning and they said that the gear was indeed metal, not plastic.
The BLR is back on my Christmas list for sure!

Now, which caliber shall I get? Hmmm.....

.358 Win. Unless you exclusively hunt bean fields on the coastal plain, the .358 will do it all. Awesome for those big boy Black Bear too. I hunt NC swampland, and love the .358

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't exclusively hunt the bean fields, but about 80% of my time is spent hunting over them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I owned a 1977 BLR in 358 that wanted to be a 5" rifle, but could be fought to make it a 2" rifle. Curiously, it had a BIG squarish pit about an inch and a half from the muzzle? Like a chunk had been ripped out of the inside of the barrel. As a side note, it came with a Leupold 2.5 that I count as the dimmest scope I have EVER owned.

Replaced it by ANOTHER 1977 BLR in 358, which spent much time in a scabbard. It is awaiting load development after being rehabbed. HTH, Dutch.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a BLR in 358 Win. Using Horn 200 Gr Sp over IMR4320 groups are one ragged hole at 100 yds. Using the Speer 250 over IMR3031 groups are 1.5". I am however disappointed with the velocity as 2250fps is elusive with the 250speer. I am sure that this is due to the short barrel on the BLR, but this bullet will penetrate anything even at this low velocity. I can regularly hit a 4" iron disk at 200yds with the 250 speer.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
So the essay will probably stir up the troops.

Mr. B, I have a boatload of bolt guns. Mostly pre 64 Winchesters. They are what I grew up with and were THE rifle of the day.

More than happy with my Model 64 30-30, 1895SS Marlin 45/70 and my rechambered (284) 7600.

My father is probably rolling in his grave as I type this but the fact is they are great hunting guns.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Forgot to mention mine was a 358 win.

The only odd thing about the BLR is that it's so light you can jerk her pretty easy.

Spot

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Have had two .358 BLR's that both shot factory 200 and 250 grain bullets under 1.5" at 100 yards and 225 grain Nosler Partitions at just over 1" at 100 yds.Sold them after finding a .358 Savage 99. Triggers were bad on both. Currently have a .308 BLR made in Belgium that has only shot factory ammo and is about 1.25" at 100 yds with Fed ammo. This gun has a better trigger than the other two newer BLR's I have had.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know this thread is about BLR accuracy, but I wonder how the finish will hold up on the newer aluminum receivers?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The Stainless BLR in 325 WSM that I just bought put 3 factory rounds in at 1 1/16"

The trigger isn't stellar but I really like the rifle and will live with it for now.

Eventually Neil Jones will get it!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine is a Jap steel 308. I haven't shot a group bigger than 1.5" with it. It will put 3 shots of any load that I have picked out of the books into 1.5". It will shoot the loads it likes into 1". I use 150 and 165gr bullets only. If I need a heavier bullet I use a 30-06 or 300 Wby.
Yes the trigger is terrible and my bore is a little riogh as is fouls easily.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a BLR in .358 Win topped with Burris 1.5-5x. I use a middle load of IMR-4895 for a velocity of 2390 fps w/ 200 Horn. spire point. I really just started shooting this gun, but so far has average about 1 MOA.

Lou

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It's late to be responding to this thread but, I have an earlier .358 with the hangy down magazine and an old El Paso Weaver K3 scope. I have used Sierra 200 grain roundnose/46.5 grains of I-4064 @ 2300 fps for less than 100 yard shots at deer that groups 2".
Hornady 200 grain SP/47 grains of H-335 @ 2416 fps groups were: 1.25", 1.59" and .492".
Sierra 225 GK/48.9 grains of I-4320 @ 2463 fps groups were: .938", 1.74", and 1.373". I have taken several W/T deer with this load and none traveled more than 30 yards after the shot.
I got this gun in 1980 to shoot mostly cast bullets in and have been very pleased with this aspect. Both the RCBS 200 and a custom 225 grain will group in 2 MOA using 40.5 grains of H-4895 generating 2060 fps. I believe a better trigger would help these groups somewhat.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have three BLR 81's, steel receiver, straight stocked guns.

I bought the .308 new about 15 years ago, it has a 2x7 Burris and consistently shoots regular old RemWinFed ammo into 1-1.5"

I have experienced misfires using 180g bullets if I'm not careful to close the lever with a little oomph. Never a problem with 168's and lower but I think the extra length of the 180's can keep the bolt from closing if it's not done with "emphasis", the hammer doesn't fall.

I had a 30.06 rebored to .35 Whelen by LaBounty some years back, haven't shot it much at all, it seems to do about 2.5" but it does need to be tweaked and broken in.

I just picked up a .358, haven't gotten around to shooting it yet, will report when I do.

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My BLR was mfg. in the 70's and the only complaint I have is it requires a small base FL sizing die for all brass, the chamber is quite tight. It is incredibly accurate considering I have custom rifles that require brass to be sorted by weight, only shoot certain powders & bullets accurately. My old BLR rifle shoots everything and I mean everything...into under a 1.25" with a lot less scope than the customs. It is chambered in a .243 Win and is one of those rifles you just take hunting. I do not shoot it much as the BLR's are a pain to clean but they can be cleaned from the breech by removing the action. I think the second generation BLR's with the flat mags are a bit more refined and function a bit smoother than those like my first generation. This rifle was a gift and it has accounted for over a dozen deer & antelope ea.. It is one of those things that I will never sell...well done Browning.

MC

Last edited by mclevela; 01/16/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MD, I hve a stainless BLR 270 WSM with the fiber optic sights I got about a year ago with the Federal 130 gr. ammo it will shoot
0.75 to 1 inch groups at 100 yds for 3 shots all day for me if I do not jerk the trigger.My son in law has already put a claim on it when he musters out of the Marine Corps.
AMRA

Molan Labe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bit the bullet and recently bought a Lt weight pistol grip takedown BLR in .308 Win - Browning did a nice job with this one. I'll be working up loads in 150 and 165 grain for this one when time permits.

- John Spartan

Likes hunting with old leverguns.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I'll be taking my stainless, pistol grip out for a shakedown tomorrow. This will be the first time I've shot it since it was returned from Neil Jones. I have a box of 150 grain core loks and a box of power points. We'll see which Brownie likes better.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
So far I can echo what others have said this is easily under one inch and doesn't seem to care much about ammo choice.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
John

My 81' light-weight in .358win will usually hover around an inch to 1-1/2" and thats with handloads. If i really got to testing i know i could get it to shoot sub one inch groups consistently. The way it is will get the job done well and its a great little carbine, i really love carrying it in the tight stuff.

E
E
I bought a BLR '81 last fall based on the positive reports on this thread. I found one in great condition, from I think 1993, in 7mm-08. I put a Leupold 1.75-6x on it. I couldn't get it to shoot with much accuracy until I had a local guy who specializes in trigger work (he had never done a BLR before, but he did a great job) bring the trigger down to about 3 pounds. The first load I tried, 120 gr Barnes TSX bullets over H414 put 3 shots into around an inch pretty much every time. I started getting cratered primers a couple of grains below the Barnes recommended maximum so I've kept the loads pretty mild. Not surprisingly, I discovered that it likes new or full length sized brass. But here's why I really like this rifle: I tried some offhand shots and was able to consistently hit a 10" steel plate at 200 yards. I shot 2 deer with it this season, both quick shots in the woods at less than 60 yards, and the BLR handled amazingly. It's a bit chintzy and glossy, and the gold trigger is tacky, but this rifle is one great hunting tool.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
In terms of accuracy my experience with them is - 1- on the straight forearm - do not tighten the long bolt holding the sling peg to tight. -2- try to get the factory to take the trigger pull to its advertised 4.5#'s. -3- If you do not reload try federal fusion ammo.
I had been going to buy these for 20 years. Finally did and now have 3 - Wish I would have done it earlier.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My BLR is in transit now, but I am prepared to have the trigger worked. How did you get Browning to resolve the trigger issue, and did they get it to or below the advertised 4.5#'s?

I may bypass Browning if all they can get is 4.5#, but that may not be that bad even though I am used to around 3# or less in my bolt guns.

Thanks
Allen

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
No accuracy data yet, but I was surprised at a 200 Hornady loaded ahead of 50.0 H 335 wasn't as brutal as I had expected it could be.

One major problem I see is the feed rail of the magazines do not line the rounds up for feeding. I loaded the one case I was doing multiple loads in to determine case life and looking at primer pressure indications, and I loaded one of my RCBS 200FN bullets and it or any pistol bullets will not feed. I think I can add material to the forward rails of the magazine to lift the ammo once the case body clears it and lift the round centered on the chamber as it's centerline is 1/4+ " low of the chambers Centerline out of the box. Loading a 308 round fed well.....but they have a longer nose. The 358-200 fn only has an 1/8" nose, so it will only feed spire points right now. The corner of the fn digs into the chamber edge.....

Allen

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by JohnT
Hi MD,

I have a BLR lightning with pistol grip stock in .270. Accuracy is quite good. With factory 130gr Powerpoints and a 3-9 Leupold in Warne Maxima QD's it would put 3 shots in well under 1 inch at 100 and 5 in 1.5 - 1.75 inches. Pretty damn fine for that skinny short (& loud) barrel.

Only started to develop handloads but couldn't really do much better than the factory load. (which shot better than the 130gr Supreme load BTW).

Regards,
JohnT

John T, I had a simialr problem with a 308 feather weight. Took it to the gun smith at the Wausau Gander Mountain who fixed it at no charge. He claimed that it was a known problem to Browning. Something to do with the tight firing pin chanel. What ever he did worked.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I only shoot .250 speer for bear in my steel reciever .358 3 shots into 3/4 inch at 100. 30 bears dead with one shot but I always shoot them twice. If I coud get another .308 with a steel reciever I would trade my BAR short trac for it ! almost even up

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Got two now, the first is from 1972 in .358 win. it shoots great with either factory 200 gr or loaded with 225 gr sierra's. came in less than 1.5 inch which is not bad using a old weaver 4x and old eyes..

Just purchased a NEW one again in .358 win camo and Stainless (not that it matters) mounted a VX-III 2,5-8 leupold on it and today was my first range time with it. Fired only factory loads which shot around 1.75 in. with the second group fired (third cleaning) looking to play with some Barnes 225 TSX once it is broke in.

Ted
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Sounds like you move fast Ted. Any pictures and/or mount information? I am hoping to leave mine open sighted, but may go with a scope down the road.

Thanks
Allen

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Got home and checked trigger it is breaking 6.5 to 7+ lbs. Called a local gunsmiths from Browning's list they claim a "action" job will bring around 4 lbs and be smoother..cost $99.00. it is 3 hr round trip and only opened weekdays so 6 hours of work time to take and pickup....plus last time there cost me big $$$ they have the best prices on Tikka's and Sako's I have seen....

Other option is Neil Jones near Erie PA, he is &120 plus shipping ($50 both ways) and was recommended by a few 24hr members should find out if he can get them to 3 lbs...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ted
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Allen

In the picture I used a dednutz Game Reaper mount (matte), it is a great mount. Called factory and can get silver or camo by request. Local dealer did not list one for BLR but they have it online and in "new" catalog..

I think these may be better than "talleys" which had been my favorite mount.Light weight, very strong, easy to mount and $46 at most gun shows $56 in stores. Replaces base and rings so price is reasonable compared to most..

Ted
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Looks goo Ted. I tried to blow the picture up, but can't tell for sure... Dead nutz or...???

Go with Neil, too rich for my current situation, but probably worth the extra 1# less pull he offers.

Allen

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
[Linked Image]

DEDNUTZ ONE piece precision mounting systems

They are line bored and the well made...local dealers want $56 but I see them at the gun shows for $46 out the door.

http://www.dednutz.com

Ted
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Just got off the phone with Browning repair, asked about a trigger that is breaking at 6 lb 7 0z to 7 lbs 2 oz. Their spec is 4 to 6.5 lbs and they will repair it to be in range and I can take it to my local authorized Browning repair center and give it a try.

Ted
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It's very encourging to know that all internet lever action rifles shoot under an inch. smile smile

I have found most of the BLRs that I have shot performed very well indeed, usually under a couple of inches with one now and then that shoots an inch. I always shot 3 shot groups with lever guns so don't know how much they will open up for a 5 shot group, but some I am sure.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
These are from my BLR in 325 WSM. Shooting a Sierra 220 Gameking over 61.0 grs. of IMR 4007SSC with WLR primer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All that I have owned would shoot 1.5moa or a little better hovering around 1moa with factory loadings. Really nice guns.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I had two early BLR's both were 308. They would shoot 1.5 to 2 inch groups without much trouble. Sold them both years ago and have been in the market for another. I found a steel frame, short action the other day in 284 Winchester. While it's not a 308 I think it will work ok. I haven't had time to check the accuracy yet but the horrible trigger pull is still there and something you don't easily forget. It makes my 88 Winchester seem like a fine target rifle. I will do something about that before I worry too much about accuracy. I'm not having much luck finding an extra magazine; they must not have made these 284's very long.

Last edited by Mathsr; 03/05/09. Reason: correct error

Harry
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Neil Jones worked my trigger on a stainless .308 BLR. Night and day worth every penny I spent. Cheap considering the work he puts in to the job.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Forgot to mention mine was a 358 win.

The only odd thing about the BLR is that it's so light you can jerk her pretty easy.

Spot

I have found this to be very true, on the bench i can usually get 1 - 1-1/4" groups with handloads. In the field i find it to be very barrel light, plus i really believe the heavy trigger doesnt help much...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just read all 9 pages of this thread.great info.I picked up a blr today in 270 win.I am looking fwd to shooting it.it is a older model but still unfired.I found it in a old tx gun shop today and it had to come home with me.
pete

NRA DAV
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Alabama Ed, try some TAC with the .250"s I coronographed some out of my little 20" blr and got an honest 2370. Thats what load I'm going to take bear hunting this year. Shoots plenty good to kill a bear over bait. Then I will retire that rifle. I'm too beat up physically to hunt much now. but 30 for 30 beas isn"t a bad record for my little blr81

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I am doing a little research into buying a s/h .308 or .243 BLR and rebarreling to .260 Rem... I am curious as to what accurising options there are that may help the BLR?

cheers,

Cam...

Western Australia
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (16penny, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,383 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,884
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.