Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
L
Hey guys fairly new to traditional bow hunting, been hunting for 3 years and shooting for 5. I had been shooting a bear kodiak 60” 45# at 28 and a bear Montana longbow64” 45# @ 28 also. Looking to maybe purchase a longer longbow to accommodate my longer draw length as I am a taller guy at 6’3”. Am I wrong in assuming that a longer bow will be a little more forgiving? 66-68”looking for recommendations and possibly looking at northern mist does anybody have one of Steve’s bows?

BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m no expert but I have been shooting and hunting with single string bows for over 20 years now and I’m close to your height. I’m 6’4” and 205 with long arms and a 29” and a little draw length.

Single biggest improvement I ever made was switching to 3 under. It does away with finger pinch and makes it easier to get a consistent anchor. Also stay away from draw weight that isn’t easy and comfortable to shoot. If you can’t hold at anchor or get the shakes immediately upon hitting anchor you need to either work out and build strength or shoot a lighter bow. I know 45 doesn’t feel or sound like much but if your shooting muscles aren’t in shape it is. I do my best work with 40#-43#, I can and do shoot bows up to 55# but not as consistently or accurately.

I’ve owned in the neighborhood of 20 bows over the years from 48” to 70”. Nothing longer than 58” gives me any trouble that can be attributed to the bow. Currently I’m shooting a 64” longbow primarily and it is probably my favorite bow I’ve owned. I really can’t tell a difference in shootability between my 64” longbow and a 68” recurve I have that’s the same draw weight.

I’m now on the scout for a takedown of some type due to the hassle of traveling with a long bow on road trips.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Call Steve Turay and ask him what he recommends. Can't beat a Northern Mist.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 2 Northern Mist bows from Steve, a 66" 50#@28 and a 68" 55#@28.

I filled out a request for another back in October and haven't heard back, so he's booked out a bit.

I have other longbows in lengths from 60" to 68." Personally, I prefer a longer ASL, at least 68." Not sure I'd go any longer (68" is about as long as I can fit in the ol' F150).
I know some folks prefer shorter bows for easing around in a tree stand and ground blinds, but I almost exclusively spot and stalk so don't find the 68" a hindrance.

Not sure exactly what forgiving means, but I find the longer bows smoother to draw and seem to feel less stack.

Another brand to consider is St. Patrick Lakes, made by Erik Hoff out of Minnesota. I have one of his 68" Yukon Styks, which is a takedown. And because it has a G-10 riser it allows the option of the shelf being cut to center. From Erik's website, "G-10 is also so strong that it allows the option of the shelf being cut to center on the riser on an ASL. The shelf can be left 3/16" outside center just like my other ASLs but the option to cut really close to center increases forgiveness, tunability and makes it easier to get your eye alignment."

Pretty impressed with my Yukon and have already paid the $150 deposit to get another started with a yew core versus bamboo.

Lastly, don't forget about Howard Hill Bows, by Craig Ekin. I just got one of his Wesley Specials, 68" 50#@28, and it's a blast to shoot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This guy has a good take on what makes a Hill style bow "forgiving, stable, and smooth."

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I used to shoot a longbow. I shoot a bear T/D now. I’m tall as well and I have a 31” draw. I started with a Hill Wesley Special migrated to a R/D Longbow. It was a T/D. It blew up on me one day. Went back to a Hill style string follow. Shot that awhile migrated back to a couple more R/D bows. Everyday I hunted with any of these I had a thought in my mind that, I live an hour from Grayling I should be shooting a Bear bow. I bought the T/D and haven’t looked back. If I were you or if was to do it again I’d go on the traditional web sites and buy used bows until I found the “one”. It’s tougher having a long draw but it can be done. Bows are like cars the minute they leave the dealer the depreciate. If I can help let me know. I wish I had a long draw guy in My corner when I started. Oh and go to a shop and get your draw length measured. That will help with your search. Good Luck.

Last edited by chain; 01/10/23.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I guess I wasn’t finished. Long bows are easier to shoot for a long draw guy mostly because of finger pinch. Do you shoot split finger or 3 under? I can shoot a shorter bow if I shoot 3 under. Steve Turay is an artist and a gentleman. He makes a fine bow. I owned one of his Shelton’s. Hill style bows are great and have quite a track record. They throw a big heavy arrow well. Tough on a horseback hunt though. Although I’ve done it. They are a little unwieldy for me in a a tree stand or sitting i a ground blind as well. There are a lot of good bowyers out there and if you’re like me you will bounce around a bit before settling on the one.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I draw 31.5". My favorite longbow is 62". I absolutely hate the shooting characteristics of Hill style bows. I much prefer RD longbows. I've shot a lot of different bows as well. You always need to try out a bow or at least one just like it before purchase..

L
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
L
Thanks for all the advice fellas. I actually went with a local-to me bowyer, have a 60” R/D longbow made. Should be done in 3-4 months. I can’t wait

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Good luck. Buying local is best if you can do it. The bowyer can help you with all the other pieces of the puzzle and being close by helps.

Last edited by chain; 01/15/23.
IC B3

G
G
I shoot a 62# Great Northern Longbow. Very pleased with it and they are great to work with.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
65" 55# @ 28" and 64” 60# @ 28" Robertson stykbows. They're really nice bows but they are pretty pricey these days. The bow in the video above looks very much like a Stykbow.

Last edited by MickinColo; 04/17/23.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am mostly a recurve shooter but have had quite a few longbows- a few Pronghorns, two JD Berry, two Northern Mist, three or four Libertys.

I havnt had any St Patrick’s Lake bows, but I have talked with Eric and we live fairly close to each other and I will probably buy from him in the future. A lot of people like his bows.

So far, my favorite has been a 68” Liberty English, but the bowyer died a year or so ago, and they are getting hard to find.

Northern Mist Shelton is another bow I really like, but the one I had was a little too heavy.

My draw is slightly over 28” depending on the grip and so far the 68” has been best shooter for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It all depends......typically longer is smoother and will draw smoother at a longer draw length.......but, there are exceptions. The Bear Montana is a bit of a club compared to a nice R/D longbow. Unless your are really hung up on a Hill style longbow I would suggest a quality R/D longbow. Toelke Whip is a great place to start. The are easier to shoot, cut to center, faster, much less hand shock and just a more pleasant shooting experience. As always try as many and possible and shoot what fits you and your style the best.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Really like my Tolke Whip. But also shot a Big Jim’s Thunder Child that was sweet. I like the long bow just because….. no good technical reason. They look sweet and both of these shoot well. Also picked up some 35lb ILF limbs for my Martin riser. I shoot those all summer.
I bet you will like the bow you ordered.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Big Jim makes some awesome bows. I have TD Thunderchild but I’m 5’7” so opted for a pretty short bow for blind and treestand hunting. So no input on a long bow to accommodate someone 6’2”.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (12308300, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.