Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Have you seen what Washington State is trying to pass?

Hold my Bud Light.....

Originally Posted by Jeff_O
It was going to be my winter project but the good people dumbasses of Oregon saw fit to pass a measure that instead made me blow my gun money on a few new guns before the measure went into effect (it’s blatantly unconstitutional on both the state and federal level and is currently tied up in the courts).

I heard there was something afoot up there. I’m still trying to un-explode my head over what happened here, haven’t gone out of my way to find other things to blow a gasket over.

I gotta think SCOTUS is going to clean a bunch of this up but DAMN these things move slowly.

The real bummer here is that every rural county came out STRONGLY against Measure 114…. In some cases as much as 75% against it… but the overall turnout in those counties was terrible. People just didn’t bother to vote. Voting is REALLY easy in Oregon. Where’s that head-slap emoji…..

Last edited by Jeff_O; 04/06/23.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Have you seen what Washington State is trying to pass?

Hold my Bud Light.....

It was going to be my winter project but the good people dumbasses of Oregon saw fit to pass a measure that instead made me blow my gun money on a few new guns before the measure went into effect (it’s blatantly unconstitutional on both the state and federal level and is currently tied up in the courts).

I heard there was something afoot up there. I’m still trying to un-explode my head over what happened here, haven’t gone out of my way to find other things to blow a gasket over.

I gotta think SCOTUS is going to clean a bunch of this up but DAMN these things move slowly.

The real bummer here is that every rural county came out STRONGLY against Measure 114…. In some cases as much as 75% against it… but the overall turnout in those counties was terrible. People just didn’t bother to vote. Voting is REALLY easy in Oregon. Where’s that head-slap emoji…..

You smoke to much dope……

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I favor the 6x6.8 (6spc) over the 6 arc.
I've done both, got rid of the 6arc as the 6x6.8 just does everything better imo. Strictly a coyote, deer, goat rig
I just run a 90g bullet.
No issues running it to 800 yards.
I did up a 6arc, bolt gun for a pal, runs 105g hornadys to 1000.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 5spd
I've done both, got rid of the 6arc as the 6x6.8 just does everything better imo. Strictly a coyote, deer, goat rig
I just run a 90g bullet.
I recently picked up some 6 SPC dies from CH4D ... they had them in stock. Interested in knowing why you prefer the 6 SPC to the ARC?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I just run a 90g bullet.

Is there even such a thing as 6SPC? I see you guys referring to it as that. I know that as a 6WOA, as I stated in a previous post. It is a better cartridge than the 6ARC IMHO..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I just run a 90g bullet.

Is there even such a thing as 6SPC? I see you guys referring to it as that. I know that as a 6WOA, as I stated in a previous post. It is a better cartridge than the 6ARC IMHO..
6 SPC has the 23 degree shoulder of the parent case, 6 WOA is 30 degrees I believe

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
not to sidetrack too far

but what's the attraction to shooting 90gr 6mm bullets from 6arc or 6spc instead of 77gr tmk out of a vanilla 223?

besides "i can" which is valid... bunch of hoops to get at best marginal better ballistics and most cases worse.

same bc, same velocity, and most likely worse terminal performance.

i think the 6arc would really shine with 95gr eld-m bullets. or the 95gr tmk... and an aermat LMT enhanced style Bolt. and some lapua brass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A lot of states, like Washingfornia where I live, prohibit 223 caliber bullets for big game.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I dig my 6mm ARCs, I have both a heavier 21" and a lightweight 18", usually stick with 100gr to 108gr, but they will sling 95gr SSTs and 85gr SGKs quite well also. The 108gr eld factory load shoots well in both of mine, haven't used that bullet on deer, but the reports are good. I think my next ARC will be a 12" SBR, although I'd like to add a Howa mini at some point too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
I just run a 90g bullet.
I recently picked up some 6 SPC dies from CH4D ... they had them in stock. Interested in knowing why you prefer the 6 SPC to the ARC?

I wanted to run a 90g bullet at 3000 fps at a minimum in my bolt gun build and a 55g bullet at 3500fps, 22" bbl.
6arc didn't do that when I built the 6x6.8, (6spc).
Simply necking 6.8 to 6mm, like the 6.5grendel to 6mm.
My 90g load cronies at 3068 fps, 55g load at 3570.
The 6mm arcs in the ar15 frame I assembled could not meet those requirements.
Nothing wrong with the 6arc, just didn't fit my needs.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
I just run a 90g bullet.

I wanted to run a 90g bullet at 3000 fps at a minimum in my bolt gun build and a 55g bullet at 3500fps, 22" bbl.
Simply necking 6.8 to 6mm, like the 6.5grendel to 6mm.
My 90g load cronies at 3068 fps, 55g load at 3570.
The 6mm arcs in the ar15 frame I assembled could not meet those requirements.
Nothing wrong with the 6arc, just didn't fit my needs.
Still using IMR 8208XBR with the 90 TGK's?

Last edited by Riflehunter; 04/09/23.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I wanted to run a 90g bullet at 3000 fps.

Let me guess.....that load was never actually pressure tested, but you saw no pressure signs whatsoever?

Tony

P.S. I have a 6-6.8 in a bolt gun. Your pressure is WAY high my friend.

Last edited by TonyRumore; 04/11/23.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TonyRumore
I wanted to run a 90g bullet at 3000 fps.

Let me guess.....that load was never actually pressure tested, but you saw no pressure signs whatsoever?

Tony

P.S. I have a 6-6.8 in a bolt gun. Your pressure is WAY high my friend.
What are you getting with the 90 grain projectiles, what powder, COAL and barrel length?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by MrMuskie
Own a RR Varmint 223. Thinking about a 6mm ARC switchover.

Anyone played with one ?

Suppose I would ask what would be your intended use for the rifle? do I want to shoot factory ammo or reload. IMHO the comparisons that deserve consideration are the 223, 6mm ARC & 6.5mm Grendel. Your utility considerations & ammo expense expectations will determine the best upper for the utility considerations.

I came to the conclusion that for my utility the 6mm ARC checks more boxes, Bolt action was a cost effective step up for my use. Semiautomatic did not equate to a benefit for my criteria. So the re-barrel a CZ527 in 7.62x39 to 6mm ARC was my EZ choice & 2 years later I have no regrets.

BTW I was looking at a new upper for a RR 223 as well. The RR Varmint sits in the safe as the bolt action 6mm ARC does more for my utility considerations.
The 6mm ARC upper that I have liked the best on paper, is not commercially available to my knowledge. The Geissele 6mm ARC may come closest to a AR option that could bring me to going 6mm ARC AR. Never say never!

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow!...I must be getting old. I'm seeing the 6mm ARC as Robert Whitley's recycled 6mm AR, or Greg Krebaum's 6mm RAT. Both were designed as Highpower Rifle Cartridges to be shot out of a standard AR magazine, and most often were shot out of a 26" barrel. Both were chasing 3000 fps with a 107 Sierra, and ended up blowing the shoulder forward to try to get there yielding the 6mm AR Turbo and the 6mm FATRAT. What made both feasible was the availability of quality 6.5 Grendel brass. Krebaum sourced dies from Hornady and so I suspect that's where Hornady got a clue to commercialize the RAT or AR as the ARC.

I have a Grendel upper and an AR upper, but I never put much time on them because I began hearing instances of cracked lugs in the AR15. I spoke to Holliger about the ARC when it first hit, and his response was tepid. He had the same concerns about exceeding the design strength of the bolt lugs because of his experiences with the 6mmAR and the RAT. John summarized his thoughts on his webpage if anyone cares to look.

I've got a bit more time on a 6mm WOA aka 6mm/6.8SPC, and it's a solid accurate cartridge, but doesn't have quite the boiler room of the .440 based cartridges. 107 class bullets also preclude magazine use. The 6mm HAGAR is a stretched out WOA with more powder capacity, but the same problem with feeding 107's through the magazine. ...but if you're looking to shoot these through a bolt gun...a WOA or a HAGAR might be your huckleberry.

The BR is also an option (I've got one). But the parts to build one were rare to begin with and have pretty much dried up...so mine is mostly a curio that I don't run hard.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by ChrisF; 04/18/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On Predator Masters there were some guys playing with a necked down 6.8 to 6mm. I know this would NOT be a long distance paper puncher but I liked the idea of a 6mm with a bit more case and powder as a hunting cartridge for the AR's. Tony has it right, the 6mm needs a bit more case and an 85 grain hunting bullet.
I think yo're referring to the PDK (Predator Dog Killer) line of cartridges. The PDK was a SPC stretched out a bit longer, but not as long as the HAGAR. Holliger was playing with it for a while and was chambering barrels for the 6mm PDK, but my recollection was that he wasn't getting the accuracy he wanted. Maybe it was the custom brass that wasn't up to snuff.

This photo doesn't exactly fit the discussion, but Photobucket is deleting all free accounts, so I cleaned out my bucket and this is one of the relics I had in there;

The 240 NMC is pretty close to a 6XC, so you can see why the WOA, AR TURBO and the FAT RAT didn't get close to 3000 with the 107's.

Last edited by ChrisF; 04/18/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ChrisF
On Predator Masters there were some guys playing with a necked down 6.8 to 6mm. I know this would NOT be a long distance paper puncher but I liked the idea of a 6mm with a bit more case and powder as a hunting cartridge for the AR's. Tony has it right, the 6mm needs a bit more case and an 85 grain hunting bullet.
I think yo're referring to the PDK (Predator Dog Killer) line of cartridges. The PDK was a SPC stretched out a bit longer, but not as long as the HAGAR. Holliger was playing with it for a while and was chambering barrels for the 6mm PDK, but my recollection was that he wasn't getting the accuracy he wanted. Maybe it was the custom brass that wasn't up to snuff.

This photo doesn't exactly fit the discussion, but Photobucket is deleting all free accounts, so I cleaned out my bucket and this is one of the relics I had in there;

The 240 NMC is pretty close to a 6XC, so you can see why the WOA, AR TURBO and the FAT RAT didn't get close to 3000 with the 107's.

Thanks for the update.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You CLUELESS Fhuqktards are a hoot! Hint.

The ARC has both the ass(case capacity) and modest case length,to grant opportunity to superior projectiles. Read that again. Now one more fhuqking time. Hint.

The Retardation of anything SPC,is simply fhuqking mind numbing. Bullets matter wayyyyyyy more than headstamps ladies...and now even you gals "know". Starting velocity,ain't impact velocity. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Before you call someone stupid, get your spelling right, or you look stupid.

Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
That's what you get when you vote for liberal's.....your you're just to stupid to figure it out.............

Why did his comment hurt your surgically created vagina? You retard Biden voters crack me up.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rickety,

You've never even seen or shot a 6 ARC...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

They look like this. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Though "luckily",you can "afford" to steal avatars. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,251
Posts18,466,956
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.