Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Is there anybody else besides Benelli in the super Black eagle 3 that makes one. I want one but I can't afford $1,800

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Where ya gonna find 3" 28 ga. ammo.

I've never seen any.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I've never seen any.

DF
Quite a few companies making turkey and waterfowl loads in 3" 28 gauge.
I'm no help my 28s are 2 3/4" only.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Troutnut

I've never seen any.

DF
Quite a few companies making turkey and waterfowl loads in 3" 28 gauge.
I'm no help my 28s are 2 3/4" only.
Gotta check that out.

Bet they’re expensive.

DF

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
CZ Bobwhite Side by Side has 28 gauge in 3 inch chambers..

Best, Billy

Turn em loose ...
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I've never seen any.

DF

Boss shotshells makes them.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
CZ drake O/U 3 in chamber. Rogue 28ga ammo. 1 5/8 oz TSS. Great turkey combo. Lots of 28ga ammo available on line shipped right to your door.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you want a 28 gauge, now's the time. I don't see hardly any 20 gauge and .410 ammo on he shleves. But I see tons of 28 gauge ammo on the shelves.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
If you want a 28 gauge, now's the time. I don't see hardly any 20 gauge and .410 ammo on he shleves. But I see tons of 28 gauge ammo on the shelves.
Same here. 12 and 28 is available anywhere, 16 and 20 is hit or miss. 410 is still nonexistent locally

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I've never seen any.

DF

Fiocchi Golden Pheasant for one....

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Boss...Has Bismuth or TSS..

Now and not Sept/Oct is the time to get your 20 Gauge stash....

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I've never seen any.

DF

Have plenty on hand

μολὼν λαβέ

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I bought a Beretta A400 Excel in 28 but never looked to see if it would take 3" as I didn't know they existed till now.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Fotis

I've never seen any.

DF

Have plenty on hand
Thanks for the heads up.

Learn something every day.

DF

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
The local Fleet and Farm around here has the Fiocchi 3" loads for the 28 ga.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
The Beretta A400 upland 28 ga has a 3 in chamber.

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DUKFVR
The Beretta A400 upland 28 ga has a 3 in chamber.

Yes sir I know. Like the Benelli SBE. However I am trying to avoid paying 1800 for a 28 Gauge which will not see too much use outside of dove hunting and some waterfowling use
That said I do want a 3" chamber.

The other listed do have a 3" chamber but no ejectors. Not a huge fan of extractors. I guess I am high maintenance and I want it all. LOL

μολὼν λαβέ

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Most CZ O/Us are 3 inch. I have a supreme field that is. $1250 if you need it lol

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
28 is so overrated. Most times it is hotter than 20ga and easier to find on the shelf

Last edited by Muddinmetal; 05/30/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Why is it overrated when used within its limitations....Whatever they are....Buying off the shelf is not always necessary, if you plan ahead and order online.

Last edited by battue; 05/31/23.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've been considering a Browning BPS 28 gauge, if only because of all the ammo I am seeing, and it would make an awesome squirrel gun.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just the plane old 2 3/4 on Wild Pheasants...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Love that Ithaca! I have two Upper Sandusky guns in 12 gauge. Fantastic and well made guns.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Stock handle could have been more pleasing to the eye, but most times it points where I look.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get the 28 ga love. Have had 28’s but do not presently. Surely could get one again but unless a 28 is proportionately sized — lighter, less boxy — there is no advantage over a 20 ga. outside of pure loonyism. For example, the Browning BPS while well made, is a boat anchor. I think one is more likely to find a properly proportioned 28 in a SxS or O/U.

Now a 3” shotshell? What is its payload — 1 1/8 oz? The 2 3/4” already threw 1 oz, the standard 20 ga load. If the 3” is throwing 1 1/8 oz, that is the standard 16 ga. load. Seems to me the shot string is getting awfully long with these which outside of a stationary target like a Turkey noggin’ is not a good thing.

Anyway, my morning coffee musings.

Edit: above I’m referring to lead loads only. If non-toxics, the loads would be lighter of course.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 05/31/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Battue, the Ithaca 28 would have been much more pleasing with an English stock. Not that it doesn’t function perfectly as is.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Shot string concerns on moving targets, even fast birds, are academic at best. At normal velocities, the difference between the first and last pellet impact in a long versus short shot string is measured in thousandths of second. A bird flying 35-45 mph though that is going to move in fractions of an inch by the time the whole shot string connect. Far more important is the final pattern.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suppose it could even be an advantage if you lead a 90* bird by too much..😉

Leaving long shot strings out of it, the proportionality issue is still there with many 28’s built on 20 frames. Yes, I realize I’m fairly obsessed by that fact…🙄🙂

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That 28 gauge Parker Reproduction is about perfect. Although another inch or so of barrel wouldn’t hurt it.

The Ithaca 28 is close to perfect, as is a Model 12 16 gauge, if one likes pumps.

However, no matter balance wins the race over an extra ounce +/-. And if one points accurately, the center pattern of a 28 gives up nothing to the others in the upland, at the distance most of us can consistently connect. The others have more pattern fringe, but working with the fringe is not a key to consistent kills. No matter the gauge.

10Glocks kills his Turkeys with a hot core. Which always works with a good point.😉

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
George, I’m not all sure a straight stock would be an advantage with the Ithaca 28. It is a quick little shotgun, that needs driven as much as pointed. The pistol grip just may aid in the steering by helping with control.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My Ithacas are my only guns that shoot a true 50/50 pattern at 40 yards - neither up nor down, nor left nor right. My BPS are close. In fact, when I take my Ithacas out and shoot them, sometimes I forget they aren't my Browning or Winchester autos and hold a bit low, and end up with a pattern than is a bit low.

I've been jonesing for a new Ithaca 37 in 20 gauge but Ithaca is not making anything right now. Apparently they are going to fill their very long waitlists first when they do. Or maybe they are now. But nothing except some specialty guns are available on their website right now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
George, I’m not all sure a straight stock would be an advantage with the Ithaca 28. It is a quick little shotgun, that needs driven as much as pointed. The pistol grip just may aid in the steering by helping with control.

Harry, I don’t doubt that. I’m speaking purely from an aesthetic point of view which is just my opinion. The evolution of the pistol grip becoming more and more closed and then adding a thumb hole is IMO form following function.

I just like the looks of a straight stock, particularly on upland guns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shot string concerns on moving targets, even fast birds, are academic at best. At normal velocities, the difference between the first and last pellet impact in a long versus short shot string is measured in thousandths of second. A bird flying 35-45 mph though that is going to move in fractions of an inch by the time the whole shot string connect. Far more important is the final pattern.

IIRC, I believe Bob Brister (in Shotgunning — the Art and the Science) showed otherwise decades ago.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
One can make a good argument both ways on shot string. My argument is the hole you may see on paper is not necessarily there when you add the third dimension of time. Both for a flying target and the time it takes for the shot to fly to the target.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agree! 👍🏼

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Lots of time has gone by and lots of evidence since has shown shot string is not of paramount concern. Given the velocity of the shot, the length of the string, the time it take from first pellet to last, versus the distance a bird can move in that amount of time, shot string seems far less important that some people believe.

This guy has done some pretty interesting tests regarding shot string.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No doubt he has some interesting videos.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

IIRC, I believe Bob Brister (in Shotgunning — the Art and the Science) showed otherwise decades ago.

Yes he did and quite well at that. At best patterns are a 2 dimensional representation of a 3 dimensional event..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One can make a good argument both ways on shot string. My argument is the hole you may see on paper is not necessarily there when you add the third dimension of time. Both for a flying target and the time it takes for the shot to fly to the target.

Bob Brister wrote about this years ago. Had his wife pull plywood sheets on a trailer to test shot strings. Interesting read.
Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The siginficance of "shot string" is an interesting discussion, and one we've had here before. What is seems Bob Brister showed is that when swinging a gun and firing, it will produce an elipitcal pattern. As far as I know, he did this before high speed photography for such things were available. I have not read what he thinks his experiments practically meant. Perhaps nothing more than that there is a shot string and shooting at a moving target will produce an elipitcal pattern. But intuitively, that was known before he did it. All shots with shot that spread will produce a shot string. The pellets that fly straightest from the muzzle will hit first. Pellets spreading will lag behind those that travel straight from the muzzle, and since they are not moving exactly perpendicular to the target, they are traveling a farther distance and will get there at a different time than the pellets that are. Shot stringing is inevitiable and one can only prevent it, and then only some, by eliminating any spread at all.

There's been a lot of shot string experiments since that have tried to determine the effect, and it seems most of these have concluded that it doesn't mean that much.

Here's one on HeviShot. Pretty interesting read.

https://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/long-shot-string-vs-short-shot-string/100155

Last edited by 10Glocks; 06/01/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Then…
“If the longest of real world shot strings-which would be the ones with holes—don’t make any practical difference in the field.” Then looking for holes on paper would be a waste of time.

Or according to him….since everything happens so fast…the Bird couldn’t fly thru any hole. It would close up before he could avoid following pellets. Again looking for paper holes would be a waste.

Pointing well kills more game than what a paper pattern looks like. If you can use a hot core it may be worth shooting paper. Most of us are better off with some spread to make up for our pointing errors.

Last edited by battue; 06/01/23.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot string...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
^^^This guy explains it pretty well^^^

There's theory, then there's reality. In a real life scenario it just doesn't matter.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
He was physically trying to spread the string. Which is different than a shot string that separates on its own at distance.

If he could have timed it perfectly, he could have used a pattern board.

Last edited by battue; 06/02/23.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good grief... Aside from that, I enjoyed the pics you posted and especially that little Ithaca 37.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks....It has showed me the 28 can do more than many give it credit for....

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
That stock shape is sorta clunky, not sleek and pretty.

But it works better than it looks; I like mine, also a 28 ga.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ithaca has a tight curve in the pistol grip. It is a bit different I think from many other designs but in the hand it feels good and points very well for me. Dirt, that is a beauty!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Muddinmetal
28 is so overrated. Most times it is hotter than 20ga and easier to find on the shelf

I think you have them backwards. I can easily find 28, hard to find 20 or 16 gauge

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not a 3", but my fav 28 ga.

Merkel handles great, sweet gun.

DF
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF
Not a 3", but my fav 28 ga.

Merkel handles great, sweet gun.

DF
The Merkel has a very strong action. Shouldn't be a problem to have it opened to 3" is one was so inclined.

DF

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a Browning Citori 525 O/U 3 barrel set, but my reloader is a 2 3/4" it is a good quail gun with a dog. Better on clays, where a chip counts. The 20 klls clean, the 28 leaves more than I like running or hiding.

I do like it for pruning high sucker limbs off of my Pecan trees. :-)

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Battue,
Those are some great pictures!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thank you!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ok, back on topic.
don't complain about 1800.00 for a 28ga. heck, my vintage new haven model 12 28ga is listed for 12 grand.
best deal out there would be a jap browning m12 or jap Winchester m12 in 28ga. im pretty sure theyre 3" rated.
go looking.
don't overlook old used vintage 28ga guns. plenty out there. remember, pre wars were 2 7/8", not 3".
good luck!

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hey battue...don't miss my reply in the sxm1 topic. you asked for some history/old pics. go see.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bobski
hey battue...don't miss my reply in the sxm1 topic. you asked for some history/old pics. go see.

Thanks, I saw that. I was also interested in the comment re multiple world championships. Ive participated in World Championships, never win one, but got to play. In fact the World Fitasc Championship is going on right now in Hungary. A good friend is representing the USA on the Veteran team.

Last edited by battue; 07/05/23.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Agree, the 20 and 28 Browning and Jap Model 12 Repros are quality shotguns for those that can work a pump.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by bobski
ok, back on topic.
don't complain about 1800.00 for a 28ga. heck, my vintage new haven model 12 28ga is listed for 12 grand.
best deal out there would be a jap browning m12 or jap Winchester m12 in 28ga. im pretty sure theyre 3" rated.
go looking.
don't overlook old used vintage 28ga guns. plenty out there. remember, pre wars were 2 7/8", not 3".
good luck!

Bobski, the Miroku made M12 repros whether 20 or 28 ga, Winchester or Browning badged are all 2-3/4" chambered guns. I have one of each gauge and agree they scratch the itch for a reasonable priced 28 ga or 20 ga, at least in the Gr 1 configuration. The Grade 5's all have big asking prices here in Canada....although they don't seem to sell.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 35, 280shooter, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,558 guests, and 710 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,520
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.