Soylent Green ,will save us

NRA Life Member
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by horse1
Lack of clean water would be the number one killer

One milliliter of chlorine bleach will disinfect a gallon of water. If you have a gallon of bleach, you can disinfect 3,785 gallons of water.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Lack of clean water would be the number one killer

One milliliter of chlorine bleach will disinfect a gallon of water. If you have a gallon of bleach, you can disinfect 3,785 gallons of water.
Be sure you have bleach containing Sodium Hypochlorite. Some laundry bleaches are oxygen bleach. That's mainly a whitener and while it will disinfect, it doesn't kill the bugs like Chlorine.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For water, keep a bunch of clear plastic bottles on hand. You can use UV to sterilize it. Fill the bottles and leave them in full sun all day. The UV will kill the bugs. It will work on murky water, too, but will take several days. The cloudy water blocks the UV. Using the bottles in conjunction with some kind of solar reflector is even more affective, especially if it's capable of heating the water to about 150F or higher.

This method is being used by relief organizations in a number of 3d world countries where there's no electricity and polluted water is a major problem.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Be sure you have bleach containing Sodium Hypochlorite. Some laundry bleaches are oxygen bleach. That's mainly a whitener and while it will disinfect, it doesn't kill the bugs like Chlorine.

Right. That's why I said chlorine bleach. It's also not recommended to use bleach with scents or other chemicals.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Originally Posted by OldHat
In an all-out breakdown of society 50%-70% of the US population would be dead in ~90-120 days.

1. Lack of clean water would be the number one killer
2. Everyone on daily medication would be next

Lots of people would die just because of all the dead people. Who's going to police the bodies?

After that your locale and access to resources might start to play a factor in your survival.
Clean water will be a big problem for sure, but I disagree with your time scale. Maybe in phoenix and Vegas but not in most cities. We can drink dirty water or rain water as long as Dysentery or Cholera does not take hold. It will inevitably but it will take some time.

Disease will take longer than 120 days. Civil war battle fields were highly polluted due to dead bodies, but disease was able to be managed. True smaller scale but dead bodies just by themselves are not a problem.

You just take away electricity and people will start dying within a month. How many people rely on modern medicine just to survive? If it's summer people will die of heat, winter people will die of cold. It will be orders of magnitude worse than the depression. People were tough back then and already had the basic systems in place to survive off grid. Now you take away a teenager's phone and they're suicidal within days.
Survival of the fittest.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by justin10mm
In an all-out breakdown of society 50%-70% of the US population would be dead in ~90-120 days.

1. Lack of clean water would be the number one killer
2. Everyone on daily medication would be next

Lots of people would die just because of all the dead people. Who's going to police the bodies?

After that your locale and access to resources might start to play a factor in your survival.
Clean water will be a big problem for sure, but I disagree with your time scale. Maybe in phoenix and Vegas but not in most cities. We can drink dirty water or rain water as long as Dysentery or Cholera does not take hold. It will inevitably but it will take some time.

Disease will take longer than 120 days. Civil war battle fields were highly polluted due to dead bodies, but disease was able to be managed. True smaller scale but dead bodies just by themselves are not a problem.

You just take away electricity and people will start dying within a month. How many people rely on modern medicine just to survive? If it's summer people will die of heat, winter people will die of cold. It will be orders of magnitude worse than the depression. People were tough back then and already had the basic systems in place to survive off grid. Now you take away a teenager's phone and they're suicidal within days.
Even though folks think they would die of heat they won't. Although you have to use your head about heat. I hate heat but it won't even kill me. How do you die of average cold? I mean don't folks have clothes. Blankets etc... you put insulation on.

Its weird to me that not every single house wouldn't have a wood stove or at least fireplace. Even if you never use it.

As to water, in urban places I could see the issue. Rural won't matter. And a gallon of bleach goes a long way to sterilize lots of water if you can't boil it... I would imagine most houses have a couple of gallons of bleach somewhere.
Originally Posted by rost495
A quick search on just TX showed 1.1 million licensed hunters and an estimated 1.5 mill hogs. If each hunter tried to shoot just 2, they'd be out of hogs. Of course many of the hogs would be inedible.
Why indelible?

Anyway the questions is could we? We could easily eat no beef rest of our lives.

Are there enough for the masses ? Nope. But then again our land here and up north is big enough to feed more than us so we just manage it as needed.

Hopefully if it ever got bad 2 things would happen. We could get up north where very few if any have the balls to go and survive there just fine. And lots of people would no longer exist. That would be the biggest plus for the country as its well overpopulated and worse every day.
Alaska is an interesting case. The weather and the terrain will keep the feral mobs from your door for sure, BUT ... most modern bush Alaskans are still tethered to the modern supply chain. It takes a very hardy individual to survive in the Alaska bush with out modern tech help of some kind. Transportation to and from game alone is a major obstacle there even if you live remote. How many people paddle to and from their moose hunt. wink
The fact that almost no one I know in AK doesn't have 6 plus months of food stashed for starters. Is. a starter. There are other issues in play in AK that make you be prepared.

Yup some have to travel to hunt. We have caribou, bison, moose, etc.. through our yard..I don't know how long they would last... but they will last some since not many folks and many live off a moose a year etc... anyway.

Travel isn't that big of a deal, it just takes time. Only issue we would have is foot travel to fishable waters but I can live without fish if need be. Knowing there are horses in the area I suspect we could figure that out.

Off the top of my head supply chains are nice. But there is very little in need if it got right down to it. A large stash of salt and pepper and flour and sugar and yeast and life won't be very bad. Sourdough starter lives a long time. Doesn't hurt flour wise that we are in a barley farming area and I suppose a lot of that or enough of that would continue to grow and mill.

Would be a good time to go dig up so to speak, some of the gold in the hills too likely.

The fact you mention transportation as an issue, means it will be for everyone so that keeps us only basically worried about us

I couldn't think of a better place to live the rest of my days having no clue what the outside world is doing.

If we got stuck in TX it would be much much worse and would have to deal with a lot of people showing up for some amount of time. As long as the golden bb stays away we can live off the land we have.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I think there will be be more steer hunting than deer hunting. Hard to walk up to a deer and hit it in the head with a sledgehammer, not so much a bovine at night.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most deer would adapt very fast and become 100% nocturnal and in places a vehicle cannot get to easily. Some remote enough even walking is a bitsch.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by RUM7
A quick search on just TX showed 1.1 million licensed hunters and an estimated 1.5 mill hogs. If each hunter tried to shoot just 2, they'd be out of hogs. Of course many of the hogs would be inedible.
Some big assumptions there on the ability of the general public to locate, kill and harvest hogs. Maybe 10% would have a clue. Maybe 3% successful.

That and human predation (with or without consumption) on other humans (and personal defense of same) in a SHTF scenario would quickly reduce the human population and perhaps predation on wildlife.

The human race numbers/current "civilization" status is on thin ice, even as we post.

In Alaska, we are also vulnerable.. remote villages included. Would some people survive - yes. Would the majority? No. Some villages are 100% on SNAP. Even as designated "subsistence" users, with special and very generous hunting privileges and protections. BTDT, myself.

Cut off their ammunition, gas supply (and soda pop, drugs, alcohol) and things get ugly quickly! The old skills are no longer there, for the most part, in the current generation.

May not even be enough dogs to go around for 3-dog teams as transportation, at least initially.

Farmers in the tropics and temperate zones will fare the best, if they can survive other humans long enough to make and keep a crop.

Last edited by las; 04/20/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
one thing NOBODY has mentioned kill the predators , cougar good eating more deer alive , bear bobcat lynx birds of prey, wolf ,yote, pelicans and many more. all live on what we would need to survive on ..

Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Bugger
I’m pretty sure more deer are killed by autos than rifles, at least in SD.

One year I had shot 6 whitetails and it fed our family and several foster kids for over 6 months.
According to this.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/...isdom/what-kills-the-most-deer-in-a-year

2 million from cars, 6 million from hunters.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Biggest issue here is finding water!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wouldn’t it be easier to just order from Hello Fresh, or worst case scenario mug a Grub Hub driver.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
We have enough water to supply the whole country, the biggest issue here is Heating

Last edited by steve4102; 04/20/23.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
We have enough water to supply the whole country, the biggest issue here is Heating

That’s what I’ve heard. Wish we could work out a trade

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Eat Bugs.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kill two birds with one stone. Eat BBQed liberals. They probably started the crisis anyway.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Kill two birds with one stone. Eat BBQed liberals. They probably started the crisis anyway.
Gunna taste like bullschit

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.