Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I inherited an old 20ga MEC loader from my father. He used it quite a bit back in his dove hunting days. I would assume that this could be used to load shells with TSS? I have a shot gun for my boys that is limited to 2 3/4" shells and was thinking of loading my own once my current stash runs out.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Probably better suited for lead target loads, though you could use the press for priming, wad insertion and possible crimping unless the load calls for a roll crimp!

TSS usually is not a high volume process unless you have super deep pockets, I would search out a specific load for tungsten and proceed!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My old 600jr has been doing it for 55 years. Keep it simple, wad availibility is the best these days. 7/8 oz target loads and for dove/ quail. Not that it can't load heavier but like I said dang tough to find the necessary components if you don't have a stash..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Probably better suited for lead target loads, though you could use the press for priming, wad insertion and possible crimping unless the load calls for a roll crimp!

TSS usually is not a high volume process unless you have super deep pockets, I would search out a specific load for tungsten and proceed!
That was my thoughts. I don't plan on loading large amounts of TSS shells, but figured the loader could be used for all steps like sizing, priming, wad insertion, crimping.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It will work just fine for the OP's purposes. Being TSS is heavier than lead one will either have to hand weigh the shot charge or pick up an adjustable bar though I am not a fan of them. Another option would be to try the different sizes of shot bars to see if one of them will throw the shot weight you want. If necessary, one can easily bore out a smaller bar or reduce the volume of a larger bar with tape or other item to get the desired drop weight. I've done all the above when using lead bars for bismuth, steel, and various tungsten alloys.

IC B2

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
It will work just fine for the OP's purposes. Being TSS is heavier than lead one will either have to hand weigh the shot charge or pick up an adjustable bar though I am not a fan of them. Another option would be to try the different sizes of shot bars to see if one of them will throw the shot weight you want. If necessary, one can easily bore out a smaller bar or reduce the volume of a larger bar with tape or other item to get the desired drop weight. I've done all the above when using lead bars for bismuth, steel, and various tungsten alloys.
Thanks for that! For no more than I would likely load, I was planning on weighing out each.

J
J
I have a 600 Jr in 20 ga and a 600 Jr in 12 ga that are set up for fold crimping 3" TSS loads, nothing else. Aside from that, I don't use the press in any other stage of loading TSS.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A lot of TSS loads are one and done, meaning a brand new already primed hull is used, and fired hulls that need primed and sized are not. Also, a lot of the loads call for additional felts, corks, Mylar, shot cards, etc. to be added. I can’t see the press doing anything but making it more of a hassle, and taking up more of your time. As stated above, you can definitely set it up to crimp the loads, but other than that, I don’t really see it being useful in a TSS loading application .

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you all for the information!

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Yes, I use it to deprime, prime, size, drop the powder, seat the wad and crimp.

Adding the mylar wrap and any felt or cork spacers, and buffer, is done by hand, and I have an adjustable shot dipper to drop the shot.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by k22hornet
Yes, I use it to deprime, prime, size, drop the powder, seat the wad and crimp.

Adding the mylar wrap and any felt or cork spacers, and buffer, is done by hand, and I have an adjustable shot dipper to drop the shot.

Here as well, except I don't use a shot dipper. I weigh each shot charge, often duplex.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Sure can (20’s & 28’s)

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

New hulls. Hand weigh powder and shot (bushings are really pretty inconsistent). Use press to crimp. Some loads are specified for roll or fold crimps. Unless you know what you’re doing, don’t recommend deviating from recipe in ANY way. Hevishot and TSS are different animals and cannot be treated like lead. I’ve been loading TSS for 15 years including load development and pressure testing. I’ve had some real surprises in regards to pressure. The loads provided by Hal and some others are safe as long as you don’t deviate or substitute any components, including (maybe especially) hulls. Just because somebody got away with it doesn’t mean it won’t bite you. Some of these loads can be right on the ragged upper edge of pressure.

Last edited by DocHolliday; 08/10/23.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Real nice crimp on the yellow hull 20's Doc. I have 4 mec's.
1-410
1-20
2-12s
They do a fantastic job.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have always just roll crimped mine, those are some very nice looking crimps for sure

Doc, I could not agree more with your statement on pressure and be sure and follow the recipe to a tee. Pressure can get crazy quickly for sure.

Last edited by pullit; 08/31/23.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I just picked up an older 600jr. In 20 ga over the wknd gunshow. $ 50 all there and all the paper work. I don't think it had ever been used no wear on it anywhere. Set it up for short mags 1 1/8 oz of copper 5's. Federal hulls, ww 209, 27.5 grns of HS-7 and SP-20 power pistons. Right at 1200 fps should kill 40 + yd grouse and roosters just fine. Thing is I had all the components everything just needed to use them. Some call loading shotshells idiot work, I been doing it since I was 12 still have that 600 Jr too. Think I'll set the old one up for 3" yeah I do enjoy it. Shot a lot of birds in my life real ones and clays reloading my own shotshells made that possible...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Same here Bob. Started at 11 or 12 (now 50 yrs ago!). Makes hunting that much more pleasurable to "roll your own".

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Doc, doing for yourself is one of the finer things a man can achieve. Having more money is nice but I enjoy diy , so rewarding..mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 09/21/23.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ya know, I have a Mec Mk V, I think a MK V, and a lot of the shells come out looking pretty good, many just horrible crimps though. Had two Lee Loader's, a 12ga and a 20ga, the press type one's. Same deal most of the shell came out of them with really sorry crimps. One thing the Mec and Lee had in common is all the shells worked! The really bad crimps I dribble hot candle wax over to close up the crimp and fire them! if I could have one brand shot shell loader it would be a Texan. Had a Texan FW in 12 ga years that was out of this world good loading shells. Unfortuantly the guy making them died and what I call the best shotshell reloader ever simply went away!

Last edited by DonFischer; 09/25/23.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You can get bad crimps with any brand of loader. Has more to do with bad crimp memory than the brand of loader. Try using the ballistic products spin doctor on the problem hulls or just toss them. With as few people loading shotshells as there are you can get as many once fired empties at your local trap and skeet range as you want. Say what you want texans were junk.mb

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
675 members (1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.