Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Year plus wait around here.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's a dying trade. Not near as many people see the animal go from swinging sides to ready for sale cuts.

In the chain store meat rooms, all the meat comes in "block ready". The cuts are broken down into mostly boneless pcs. This doesn't allow anyone to train up on breaking down whole animals. Even worse than that in the larger cities the meat comes into the store pre-cut and packaged including the grinds. All they have in the stores now are a couple cuts for custom orders like thicker steaks or large prime rib roasts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Meat cutters are common, butchers are not.
Most meatcutters of today would know the first thing to do with a whole carcass.

Proud NRA Life Member
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Why would anyone want to be a butcher or a mechanic?According to a lot on here there the biggest crooks in the world.Steal you meat charge you parts they don’t put on their vehicle.Do a lot of people good to be a butcher or a mechanic for a year or so.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by willycc
Why would anyone want to be a butcher or a mechanic?According to a lot on here there the biggest crooks in the world.Steal you meat charge you parts they don’t put on their vehicle.Do a lot of people good to be a butcher or a mechanic for a year or so.

The blow hards are always the loudest. The biggest complainers at the meat room door didn't have a clue what they were talking about and they'd be the ones crying the loudest how they got ripped off.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Is this to custom slaughter your steers or to buy a processed steer?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Due to the extended winter and shortage of feed, Son and I just cut up a skinny winter fed steer a couple weeks ago, we are poorly equipped yes, but it is still hard work and amateur skills that work on deer and lamb don't translate to success with beef. IMO...Meat cutters earn every dime they charge.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Too many don't have a clue as to how meat comes off a carcass. They think a 1000lb steer will yield 900lb of packaged meat and they yell when it doesn't.

Here's an estimate of what a 1200lb steer will yield. It works out to taking home 40% of the live weight.

Example Meat Yield Calculations
Live weight x typical dressing percent = hot carcass weight 1200 lb x 62% = 744 lb
Hot carcass weight x (100 – shrink) = chilled carcass weight 744 x (100% – 3.5%) = 718 lb
Chilled carcass weight x carcass cutting yield percent = pounds of take home product 718 lb x 67% = 481 lb

That said, steers are typically larger now than they were 50 years ago. Back in my 4H days in the early 60's, a finished steer averaged around 1000lb. Now 1200 is closer to average. I once took a 1200 finished steer through a 4H sale ring and I remember the auctioneer saying 'Now here's a BIG steer.'

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by LouisB
Is this to custom slaughter your steers or to buy a processed steer?

Custom slaughter

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Does 18K dead cows have anything to do with the shortage?

Medics bury their mistakes..
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dinny
Does 18K dead cows have anything to do with the shortage?

Not a bit.

Those were Holstein dairy cows. May see some displacement in milk production, and a small drop in packer cows used for hamburger meat, but that's about it.

Custom Slaughter operations are usually small, mom and pop packing company businesses that serve a local area.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We are a full year out to get ours done in November. Been that way for several years. I keep the same number year after year.

Rick
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Iafarmer
Price of fats might have slowed some buyers down a bit. Waiting time in our area has shortened up some.

What are ,,fats,,

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Finished Fat beef cattle, steers, or heifers, not cows.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thanks , kind of thought that but different areas different terminology

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

🤣🤣🤣

GFY.
I sell people exactly what I would buy first.
I have absolutely zero financial gain in ripping anyone off.
My reputation is extremely important to me.

I see morons complaining that their deer fit in a certain size box all the time.
I don't want your crap.
You realize a deer or any other hooved animal is like a chocolate Easter bunny, hollow on the inside?

So tired of clowns like you.
Been dealing with you people like you for 45 years.

Proud NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Salmonella

🤣🤣🤣

GFY.
I sell people exactly what I would buy first.
I have absolutely zero financial gain in ripping anyone off.
My reputation is extremely important to me.

I see morons complaining that their deer fit in a certain size box all the time.
I don't want your crap.
You realize a deer or any other hooved animal is like a chocolate Easter bunny, hollow on the inside?

So tired of clowns like you.
Been dealing with you people like you for 45 years.

you read that completely wrong....re-read....bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I understand.
Open apology.

Proud NRA Life Member
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1badf350, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,106
Posts18,464,235
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.