Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Some years ago a French archeologist said he found a human hair imbedded in one of the stones of a lesser pyramid. He concluded that the stones are some kind of concrete and had been poured in place. I've never heard of that again and don't know if he was a kook or if he'd really found something.

the main building stones were stepped to provide a 45 deg angle [approximate] after construction the sides were plastered to a smooth surface hence the hair in the face of the stone.
Now for the stone a few miles into Cairo there is an old quarry that is more than a mile long 150 ft deep dont know how wide it was or how deep originally . Part of the Nile river was between the quarry and the pyramids,and that was part of the transportation system. The quarry is sandstone based rock and is full of bedding planes ,[ normal fractures ] that occur in rock some of the stones i saw were quarry mates , were marked and moved together and placed together. yes other rocks were shaped ,ground to fit , being a sandstone ,granite from farther south in Egypt were used as grinding stones . Its a known fact that the farther south u go in Egypt the harder rock u find the hardest being the red granite you find just north of the Ashwan high dam on the Nile where is where many of the oblisks in Egypt and those moved around the world come from. In that quarry is a partially cut one which broke along a bedding plane .
It is thought or presumed that all the red granite that is found in northern Egypt was shipped on reed boats and the oblisks on super sized boats during flood season when the lower levels of the quarry were flooded .

i spent a little time there, Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
I was there two weeks ago Cairo is a chit hole. Pyramids are amazing but they sit surrounded a third world city of 22 million.

This ^^^^^^^^^^

And Cairo is not just any schithole, it's big ass schithole..................one visit was a lifetime full.

MM
Like most things on this planet, if we only could have seen that part of the world 150 years ago.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
I was there two weeks ago Cairo is a chit hole. Pyramids are amazing but they sit surrounded a third world city of 22 million.

This ^^^^^^^^^^

And Cairo is not just any schithole, it's big ass schithole..................one visit was a lifetime full.

MM

I’ll bet the smell is simply exquisite.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by norm99
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Some years ago a French archeologist said he found a human hair imbedded in one of the stones of a lesser pyramid. He concluded that the stones are some kind of concrete and had been poured in place. I've never heard of that again and don't know if he was a kook or if he'd really found something.

the main building stones were stepped to provide a 45 deg angle [approximate] after construction the sides were plastered to a smooth surface hence the hair in the face of the stone.
Now for the stone a few miles into Cairo there is an old quarry that is more than a mile long 150 ft deep dont know how wide it was or how deep originally . Part of the Nile river was between the quarry and the pyramids,and that was part of the transportation system. The quarry is sandstone based rock and is full of bedding planes ,[ normal fractures ] that occur in rock some of the stones i saw were quarry mates , were marked and moved together and placed together. yes other rocks were shaped ,ground to fit , being a sandstone ,granite from farther south in Egypt were used as grinding stones . Its a known fact that the farther south u go in Egypt the harder rock u find the hardest being the red granite you find just north of the Ashwan high dam on the Nile where is where many of the oblisks in Egypt and those moved around the world come from. In that quarry is a partially cut one which broke along a bedding plane .
It is thought or presumed that all the red granite that is found in northern Egypt was shipped on reed boats and the oblisks on super sized boats during flood season when the lower levels of the quarry were flooded .

i spent a little time there, Norm
That's really cool norm, good insight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When the pyramid was clad in its outer sheath...am wondering if some kid glissaded down its polished surface.

A thousandish years later, the times of Thutmose III to Ramesses II seem more interesting to me.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My brother visited the pyramids 2 years ago. He said they were fantastic, but Cairo was a stinking sh*ithole. He said the entire country is a dump. The only industry, the only income in Egypt is the tourist industry and it is massive. Lots of wealthy tourists from Germany, America and China. He said there are dozens of big tourist boats cruising the Nile every day.

He said, there is no way the present population of Egypt is related to the hard working geniuses who built the pyramids.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
My daughter has lived there for 5 yrs. now. She drives by the pyramids every day and hardly looks at them anymore. They are really neat. However, I never went to see them. She sais Muzzlims dont touch garbage , so , out the window it goes for the Christians to pick up for recycling. The place is sandy and dusty. The muzzlim men are despicable , lazy, beat their wives and hardly work. Not all but a lot of them are like this. There are ferral dogs everywhere, and they die in the streets and left there in the 100 degree weather. She hates it there and is leaving to teach in New Kingston ,Jamaica of all places. There are , however, some really nice places to go. Luxor , Egypt is where Valley of the Kings are. It's still dirty , but cool. The Nile River is filthy. What does not get recycled gets bull dozed into the river . You can also drive to the Red Sea and get good sea food for very cheap. The Red Sea was very clean however according to my wife. As for me, I never went. I could not stand being away from home for 17 days to see 5 or 6 days of this stuff , just to sit around and talk. I just cant stand that. I went to Up State New York for 8 days to visit relatives and almost went crazy. The flight is 26 hrs. I hate not seeing anything when traveling so I never did go go there. I am quite sure I will regret not going though. I havent seen my daughter in almost 2 yrs neither. She married a man from Beruit , Lebanon while there. No, he is not a muzzlim, he does not like the religion. She is a Christian and that is a no no in the Christian religion. He is a decent guy and smart, makes decent money . I will be visiting Jamaica though... I made it clear it cant cut into deer hunting though. Also, she knows 2 sentences in Arabic . Here they are. She yells at the guys and sais " dont stare like that. Allah would be ashamed of you.. Then they look down.

Last edited by ihookem; 04/23/23.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.