24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John, late back into this thread, but it seems to me that my 24 DL had that Williams peep on it when I got it from my buddy and I assume it was d&t at some point for the installation. The 24 is back home in the safe or I could look at that sight to see if there is a number on it, but I think that it was made specifically for the 24 because the bottom is recessed to mount low to the receiver.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
BP-B2

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Windfall
John, late back into this thread, but it seems to me that my 24 DL had that Williams peep on it when I got it from my buddy and I assume it was d&t at some point for the installation. The 24 is back home in the safe or I could look at that sight to see if there is a number on it, but I think that it was made specifically for the 24 because the bottom is recessed to mount low to the receiver.

Okay, thank you. Not sure if I want to drill and tap it but will check with a gunsmith and see what my options are. If i’m ever able to find a sight.

I thought about setting it up for a red dot scope but the stamp on the barrel stating not to use the shotgun barrel with a scope changed my mind. Anyway, I appreciate your input.

John

Exchipy Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I just noticed (it hadn’t occurred to me to check before) that the front band on CCI MiniMag bullets is being partially engraved by the rifling upon chambering, as with a match chamber. Along with barrel rigidity, the type of chamber is likely to have played a significant role in this outcome:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Every day’s an adventure.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
i would try some .22 lr eley hollow points too. my 24 DL shoots the winchester 22 magnum very well. i have harvested a lot of game with it. turkey including a giant goulds; fox , javelina, and 50-60 coyotes. most of the coyotes were called in close and taken with the 20 gauge and number 3 buck. i just found some buckshot that is 3TTT, 26 pellets.

Last edited by roninflag; 04/19/22.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
This morning with CCI SGB 40 grain flat points @ 50 yards:

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular

This Savage 24 was “like new” when I got it. Judging from all the beater 24s I’ve seen at gun shows, it seems that many a farm kid thought a 24 was also useful as shovel and pry bar, perhaps without ever realizing its true accuracy potential.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by J23

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J23,
The condition of your 24 appears similar to mine, and could maybe produce similar 50 yard results. So, I’ve been eagerly waiting for you to post a target photo. How ‘bout it?

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Here’s how much this 24’s rifling engraves a CCI SGB bullet upon chambering:

Anyone else getting similar driving band engraving?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The Savages with the full length brazed barrels generally shoot better than the ones that are only joined at the breech and by a barrel band at the muzzle. That said, my 24V in 222 will consistently do 1.5 moa if I give it time between shots.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
The Savage 24, as pictured and discussed above (but without scope), is looking for a new home with someone who can appreciate its condition and capabilities. If you’re that someone, please PM me.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by windridge
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I've owned a few Savage 24s, some so old that they didn't come with serial numbers, in both rimfire and centerfire, .410 and 20 gauge, configurations.

The rimfires have generally shot better groups than the centerfires, even more so when the barrels get a little warm. I have, or had, a 24V in 222/20 that would consistently put the first shot from a cold rifle barrel dead center in the bullseye, but would sent all subsequent about 6" away, always in random directions, so you couldn't anticipate the change and aim accordingly.

I have a 24 in 22M/410 that I really like to carry while woods loafing. It even shoots OK with .22 LR ammo if I use one of MCACE's chamber inserts. A .410 with Brenneke slugs is probably adequate for animals up to 80 lbs. and more accurate in anything that I've shot them in than any with Foster style slugs. I weigh a lot more than 80 lbs. and wouldn't want to get shot with a Brenneke slug from a .410.

Combination guns walk as they get warm. It's just a fact.
that happens with almost any rifle

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Exchipy
This guy’s pleased to be on his way to his new home in Arizona.

An absolutely outstanding performer, but the time had come to say goodbye.

It’s a harsh reality that, except for some handguns, a guy can only shoot one gun at a time. With limited time available to devote to each individual, the herd really needed a bit of thinning. But, it can still be a bit traumatizing to cull dearly admired specimens which just aren’t getting used as often as they deserve.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This guy’s pleased to be on his way to his new home in Arizona.

An absolutely outstanding performer, but the time had come to say goodbye.

It’s a harsh reality that, except for some handguns, a guy can only shoot one gun at a time. With limited time available to devote to each individual, the herd really needed a bit of thinning. But, it can still be a bit traumatizing to cull dearly loved specimens which just aren’t getting used as often as they deserve.

A wise man once told me that only a fool falls in love with anything that can't love him back.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A wise man once told me that only a fool falls in love with anything that can't love him back.
A very good point. So, I changed the word to “admired.”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A very good point. So, I changed the word to “admired.”

No disrespect intended

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
No disrespect intended
Don't be silly. You made a very good point. Precision in language use is important.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
424 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 43 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.