Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I just recently have new, lighter limbs for my Shafer Silvertip recurve. I used to shoot 65# at 29” out of the 62” recurve. Now it’s 54# at 29”. My old arrows were 2117 Easton Legacy which worked well with the heavier draw. Now I’m trying 2018 Legacy’s, I’m not super happy with the way they fly off the bow, so I’m thinking of trying a couple other arrows. I just saw the wood pattern carbon arrows in a local archery shop. Has anybody tried these off a recurve or longbow? How do you like them?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2117 should work well if they are fast flight limbs. If not either .400 or .340 carbon should work fine depending on how much you want them to weigh.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Carbons work great. figure out the total wt. of broadhead, inserts, etc. to get your rough spine # and then bare shaft tune before you glue up feathers. The carbon will outlast aluminum by far over a season of practice pulling out targets, misses, stump shooting etc. When I used to shoot recurves more I beat the living hell of carbon arrows and only broke them hitting rocks on misses, and even then a few escaped that.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Carbon is more durable for sure if you get heavier hunting rather than target arrows. You will likely shoot something in the .400 range. Do not cut carbons to length and expect them to shoot perfect. Youu need to start full length and bare shaft tune cutting as little as 1/4" at a time.

Aluminum seems to be more forgiving over the range, but I also have some bows that shoot a variety of spines fairly well.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've shot recurves and longbows since the 1970's and always preferred wood to aluminum shafts. Aluminum were always noisier and harsher shooting than wood. 10 or so years ago I tackled the learning curve of making carbons work - extra tip weight to achieve correct spine, tuning, etc.

I still like the idea of wood, but carbons are what I mostly shoot now due to consistency and durability.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have used 2117 aluminum shafts with my recurves in those similar draw weight ranges and then shoot fine.

I would think 2018s would be a little weak potentially depending on point weight.

I have also used .400 spine carbons (Carbon Express piledriver 250-they have their own number system but this is a .400 spine) . The .400s I experimented by adding brass inserts and settled on 50 grain brass with 150 broad heads. With 4" feathers and a wrap total arrow weight is around 550 grains or so. Carbons are much quieter than aluminum in the woods and on the bow if incidental contact is made with shelf etc.

Long way of saying that 2117s should be fine and if you want to develop carbons .400’s would be a good place to start.

Isaiah 6:8

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would try to shoot the flattest shooting ones that were grouping.

( for deer)

As a side note I had a heeler dog that would find my lost aluminum arrows. She often would bring them back. She was no where close to being able to find the carbon ones.

Last edited by Angus1895; 04/25/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I’ve shot traditional for a long time and I shoot all three shaft types but wood is my favorite for hunting. What I like is that they are simple and no inserts to replace, feathers stay on even in extreme cold. But if you buy wood shafts, buy them from an arrow place like Footed shaft or Twig archery where they have some nice shafts. I do like the tapered shafts with the weight forward and both of these shops offer them. So the front of the shaft is 11/32 or 23/64 up front and tapered to 5/16 in the nock. They just fly super straight.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I wish this site had “like” buttons. Lots of super helpful comments.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
How about Three Rivers Archery? Are they a good source? That’s who I’ve used in the past.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by GlacierJohn
How about Three Rivers Archery? Are they a good source? That’s who I’ve used in the past.
Three Rivers is the Midway USA of archery. If you need something, they usually have it, but someone else will always have the same thing cheaper.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I can’t remember but I don’t think 3 Rivers weight matches their shafts. Some of the arrow companies weight match their shafts to within 5-10 grains.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Kdf22
I can’t remember but I don’t think 3 Rivers weight matches their shafts. Some of the arrow companies weight match their shafts to within 5-10 grains.

Assume you're talking wood shafts and agree larger places like 3 Rivers (as well as most trad suppliers) don't weight match shafts. A couple of the better wood shaft suppliers have been mentioned above and I'd add Ted Fry of Raptor Archery for top quality wood shafts.

I've gotten so anal about good wood shafting, I actually started making my own a number of years back. Best wood shafts I've ever used, but way to much work and good/consistent materials are near impossible to get.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Carbon, if you like wood, get the wood veneered ones. Shooting Trad is tough enough without having to shoot inconsistent arrows.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Carbon. It straight or it’s broken.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by hanco
Carbon. It's straight or it’s broken.

^^^THIS^^^

But I'm not a recurve guy, so you guys might think differently. I didn't even realize that they still made aluminum. I know with a compound, Carbon fly substantially faster than aluminum. There's nothing worse than a bent aluminum arrow.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I run Goldtips in everything.
Have various weights and inserts to get beautiful papertune/ flight.

Most carbon charts suck.

Better to use the 3 Rivers calculator

I made woods for my first Blackwidow around 88.
Got em from 3 Rivers....when it was a shop in a basement of a house down from a relatives smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I still buy wood shafts. They aren't cheap, but I find them more forgiving. I've got a bunch of carbon arrows that work well, but you have to be very consistent in your draw or the spine will "stiffen" on you. Wood doesn't do that, and they sound much more natural coming off the bow if you're hunting skittish animals.

And I gotta be close. I'm not one of these guys that is confident shooting deer at 30 yards with a longbow.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another place to go for trad stuff is Kustom King Archery

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Carbon, and Gold Tip traditional arrows @Lancaster.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

624 members (12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 219DW, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,239
Posts18,447,836
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.