Print Thread
Hop To
J
jockc Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
With my eyes aging rapidly, I’m considering this path as a compromise between mid-distance accuracy and taking the occasional duck or pheasant. I’ve got a 24 (.223/12) and a Valmet combination (.308/12) I’m considering this for. Not very classic, and I’m concerned about durability in the conditions of Montana—but iron sights are getting pretty tough.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A mate of mine put an Aimpoint Micro on a combo, and he loves it. Personally though I prefer a scope whose bottom end is about 1x to 1.5x. I have used several combos with such scopes, and they work well for birds, running game etc with the shotgun, while allowing you to take a good aim, even in poor light, with the rifle. I have shot trap with a combo equipped with a 1.5 - 6x, and shot any number of birds with that gun and with my drilling with its 1.5 - 6x.

The trick to it, if there is one, is to use the scope on its lowest magnification for the shotgun, mounting smoothly and looking straight through it to focus on the bird (ie ignoring the reticle). With a 1x or 1.5x magnification it is easy to do this, unless perhaps the scope was mounted such that you aren't looking through it when you mount the gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dan oz is spot on. A low power scope can be mounted lower on the weapon so you dont have to build up the stock to have your eye aligned when the butt hits your shoulder.

combo gun
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Drilling
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by erich; 04/03/23.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've recently acquired a 20 guage double, with rifled bores. I've shot it with the open sights and a Venom Vortex reflex or reddot or whatever it is called. I got to carry it the few times I was able to get in the woods in deer season. It carries nicely, nochange in balance or feel. It comes to my eye just like open sights, except I can see it more clearly. I can shoot better groups with it than I can with open sights. I suspect I would like it for birds, with the caveat that I am a poke and shoot, instinct shooter, not a place the bead, swing and follow through. I watch the bird and bring up the gun and shoot.
My drilling and BBF's all have scopes and I never pay much attention to them on birds, but they sure effect the handling.
Just my experience,
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackfly1
I've recently acquired a 20 guage double, with rifled bores. I've shot it with the open sights and a Venom Vortex reflex or reddot or whatever it is called. I got to carry it the few times I was able to get in the woods in deer season. It carries nicely, nochange in balance or feel. It comes to my eye just like open sights, except I can see it more clearly. I can shoot better groups with it than I can with open sights. I suspect I would like it for birds, with the caveat that I am a poke and shoot, instinct shooter, not a place the bead, swing and follow through. I watch the bird and bring up the gun and shoot.
My drilling and BBF's all have scopes and I never pay much attention to them on birds, but they sure effect the handling.
Just my experience,
Bfly

I need pichers... whistle wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
scope is the only way to go
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a Blaser BBF97 12 ga over 308, and I have an Aimpoint H1 micro red dot, S&B 1-4 illuminated scope, and a Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10 all set up on QD mounts and sighted in. I choose the optic based on what the conditions might be.

I can also shoot it with open sights.

Last edited by retrieverman; 04/23/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
on the valmet, modify a set of low ruger rings, thats whats on the valmet in the pic above

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put a 2.5-8x36 Leupold on my Savage 24 .22 Mag./20 gauge and it made the shotgun barrel nearly useless for me on anything moving. A peep sight that nearly doubled the sighting radius over the stock barrel mounted open sight was a way better compromise for my rifle and eyesight.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 41rem, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,313 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,447
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.