Print Thread
Hop To
J
JeffyD Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Any recommendations for a compact pair of cable cutters small enough to carry in a vest pocket or game pouch?

Something I hope I'll never need, but I have heard horror stories.

Thank you.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I’d be looking at Knipex wire rop cutters.

Mathew 22: 37-39

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
After our Vizsla got snared and I had to break the snare wire by bending back and forth with my Leatherman until the wire fatigued and broke we went on the same mission. Wife and I each ended up with a pair of Knipex CoBolt S Compact Bolt Cutter model #71011160. We tested them on snare cable and I could easily cut it, My wife has to "two pass" the cut as she doesn't have as much hand strength. And our Vizsla was fine, but she never fought the snare and pulled it super tight. Luckily we had a GPS collar on her as the Lynx snare set was very well set back in the thick stuff and was damn hard to see even up close.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Klein hardend jaw nippers will cut snare cable easily without having to get under itk

J
JeffyD Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks, guys. I'll look into the Knipex cutters

Kurt, glad your Vizsla survived the experience ok.

Jeff

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Klein stuff, as mentioned above, is good too. Klein or Knipex, they are both spendy, but I wouldn’t cheap out and get anything else. Both those brands will work above their stated capacity repeatedly. You get what you pay for.

Mathew 22: 37-39

J
JeffyD Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by cra1948
Klein stuff, as mentioned above, is good too. Klein or Knipex, they are both spendy, but I wouldn’t cheap out and get anything else. Both those brands will work above their stated capacity repeatedly. You get what you pay for.

For sure you get what you pay for. Stopped by the local Horrible Freight to see what they might have.
Just couldn't convince myself to buy a cheaply made Chinese product.

Spending money on quality tools is always money well spent. Knipex for the win because it's the most compact of the bunch.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Originally Posted by cra1948

For sure you get what you pay for. Stopped by the local Horrible Freight to see what they might have.
Just couldn't convince myself to buy a cheaply made Chinese product.

Spending money on quality tools is always money well spent. Knipex for the win because it's the most compact of the bunch.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Harbor Freight is fine for home shop tools.
You don't rely on them in a crisis and if it doesn't work another item may
suffice with some Redneck ingenuity.

If you need to cut a snare a mile from your car, you need the tool to perform.

I'm not sure about snare wire, but I've seen the cable seals ontrucks eat numerous
tools that tried to cut them. Often resorted to a 1" bar and hammer to defeat
them by brute strengthand profanity.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 04/25/23.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go to a 5rapping supply store and they have cable cutters. You want the ones with just notches in the tip, anything bigger would be hard to get between the skin and the wire. That said you should be able to relax the lock and slide it back on the wire. I never cut the cable when removing them from fox, coyote, raccoon and beaver when I was running traplines.

Minnesota traplines products item#C7

Last edited by erich; 04/25/23.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Park tools cable cutter doubles as a ridiculously overbuilt mountain bike cable cutter.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Kurt52
After our Vizsla got snared and I had to break the snare wire by bending back and forth with my Leatherman until the wire fatigued and broke we went on the same mission. Wife and I each ended up with a pair of Knipex CoBolt S Compact Bolt Cutter model #71011160. We tested them on snare cable and I could easily cut it, My wife has to "two pass" the cut as she doesn't have as much hand strength. And our Vizsla was fine, but she never fought the snare and pulled it super tight. Luckily we had a GPS collar on her as the Lynx snare set was very well set back in the thick stuff and was damn hard to see even up close.

Thats what I carry. And the GPS collars are invaluable. Don't cheap out on essential gear

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (257robertsimp, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 338Rules, 14 invisible), 1,142 guests, and 770 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,236
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.