-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A friend of mine is conducting a Estate Sale that has some PPC rifles in it. Thought I would share.

https://www.youngerauction.com/

GB1

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No rifles listed yet but a lot of interesting things.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The ppc’s sold yesterday.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm curious, what's PPC?

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Paul39
I'm curious, what's PPC?
PPC is a series of BR cartridges based on the 220 Russian.
The name comes from its originators ( Palmisano and Pindel)
I think the 6mmBR is similar to the 6PPC, but have never shot a PPC so cannot be certain.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
IC B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Paul39
I'm curious, what's PPC?
If you had lived in the 60s and 70s and followed Varmint class benchrest even slightly, you would have known. Practically overnight it changed that sport.
All the old cartridges of which there were many, were either dead or dying as for being competetive against either the 22 or 6mm PPCs.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Actually they came out in 1975 or so. The 6BR works better for heavier bullets and longer range. I haven't seen the 6BR used at all in short range benchrest in years. Necked up to 30 cal the 30BR with 112-118 grain bullets dominate the short range score shooting.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Butch, the only 6BR you would likely see used in short range BR is mine. It is a Shilen barreled 40X chambered for the original 6BR Remington. I bought the reamers for the 22 and 6 in 1978. I built a few BR's but many more PPC's of course. I use the BR today because I am a bit of a contrarian. To be honest, I have not competed in a short range match for several years and have not fired the BR for three years. It still shoots well though. If Lapua brass had been available in the seventies, the BR might have been a little more common. Forming brass was a chore. I let Cindy Six do the forming back then and bought the formed brass from her. GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Actually they came out in 1975 or so. The 6BR works better for heavier bullets and longer range. I haven't seen the 6BR used at all in short range benchrest in years. Necked up to 30 cal the 30BR with 112-118 grain bullets dominate the short range score shooting.

Unless you are shooting UBR the 30 has a distinct advantage in score shooting which is why not many shoot the 6 anymore.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The thing that's never mentioned about the .30's mathematical advantage is that in order to capitalize on it, the shooter needs to execute the exact same shot with a .30 as they did with a 6. With the increased recoil, torque and overall gun movement of even the mildest .30 compared to a PPC/BR....that's a very, very difficult thing to achieve shot after shot and throughout an entire yardage. A shooters table manners with these .30's has be virtually perfect. They are very unforgiving. The 'good' you get comes at a cost.

The bullet diameter 'advantage' is quite a bit less on a .30 that most realize. The radius is what's really relevant. For all intents and purposes, the ballistics of a .30 and a 6 used in real Benchrest competition are virtually identical.

I've often said that for an average shooter, they would do better over the long haul shooting a good 6 over a .30. Grand Aggs are won at 200 and that's where the 6's can be an advantage. The tuneup and tune window on a good .30 is where they've got the 6's by the throat.

Forbidden Zoner
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
The thing that's never mentioned about the .30's mathematical advantage is that in order to capitalize on it, the shooter needs to execute the exact same shot with a .30 as they did with a 6. With the increased recoil, torque and overall gun movement of even the mildest .30 compared to a PPC/BR....that's a very, very difficult thing to achieve shot after shot and throughout an entire yardage. A shooters table manners with these .30's has be virtually perfect. They are very unforgiving. The 'good' you get comes at a cost.

The bullet diameter 'advantage' is quite a bit less on a .30 that most realize. The radius is what's really relevant. For all intents and purposes, the ballistics of a .30 and a 6 used in real Benchrest competition are virtually identical.

I've often said that for an average shooter, they would do better over the long haul shooting a good 6 over a .30. Grand Aggs are won at 200 and that's where the 6's can be an advantage. The tuneup and tune window on a good .30 is where they've got the 6's by the throat.

And the smallest group ever shot in competition was a 30.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 30BR–Now King of the Hill in Score Shooting
by Joe Entrekin

The 30BR is not without its faults, but there are compelling reasons why it has quickly moved to the front of the field in Benchrest Score Shooting. First, the 30BR is very consistent and easy to tune. You don’t have to load at the range or constantly mess with seating depths or charge weights. Find a good load and run with it. Second, I am firmly convinced that the 30BR equals the 6PPC in inherent accuracy. It just plain shoots. Combine that with the potential scoring advantage you get with a bigger bullet hole, and you’ve got a winner. What’s the downside? Well, the extra recoil makes a 30BR gun harder to control than a 6PPC. But we’ve found that once people work out the right technique, they can master the recoil and eventually shoot better scores than they could with their PPCs.

Hey Al, isn’t a 100 yard score target exactly .25 inches from the center of the X dot to the outer line of the 10 ring? That’s greater than .243 but less than .308 so mathematically if a 6 hits the 10 ring .14 inches from the X it doesn’t break the X dot, if the 308 hits .14 inches from the X it still breaks the X. Advantage bigger bullet hole.
But in reality if the 30 had all of those disadvantages, why shoot the dang thing. Why because the bigger hole advantage over comes the disadvantages as from the article above.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Load up your stuff and head over to Webster City Iowa this weekend for an NBRSA Score tournament. You can shoot the VFS guns on both days, too....twice the fun. Or you can shoot HBR on Sat and VFS in Sunday for the prestigous Two Gun.

A good number of your fellow Nebraskans are always there.

Forbidden Zoner

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (1973cb450, 808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,395 guests, and 744 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,674
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.