Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
I have only ever owned one truck cap and it was a ARE. I never had any problems out of it and the only time it ever leaked was once when a mounting clamp came loose and I was driving it in a thunderstorm.

I bought a new Tundra and the local ARE dealer has retired and closed up shop. There is still a local Leer dealer.

I went by the local Leer dealer and priced a 100Xr with windoors. I was about ready to order one until I started looking at the reviews on YouTube. According to YouTube the new Leers leak, come loose all the time, have a lot of overhang on the sides, etc.

I called a ARE dealer about a hour away and they priced me a topper for about $500 less. The ARE topper is the model V which is not as refined as 100xr (the way the glass is mounted to the topper). I have not found a bad review on YouTube about them but that might be because I believe there are a lot Leers in use.

Any have any recent experience with either Leer or ARE toppers? Would you pick on one over the other?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve had 3 ARE shells. They have all been fine, with small leaks around the back glass that can be easily sealed. Be aware, I believe the V series is the value series and they have a reduced warranty compared to the other offerings. I would drive an hour each way to get an ARE over a leer for sure, based on what I’ve seen out of the leer shells I’ve looked at.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only thing that I don't like on my upper end ARE is the dark tint to the glass. That makes it harder to see out the rear vision mirror at night. My dealer cautioned me to be careful not to break that tempered rear window glass because I won't like the replacement cost. An led light bar and that carpeted ceiling are nice options. I had a Glastite cap on a truck that I camped with and moisture from sleeping inside the bed of the truck promoted mold growth on the ceiling.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
K1500,

I believe you’re correct that the V series is their value series. According to their website they only make the V series and the Z2 series for the new Tundra and Z2 series isn’t available with windoors.

I would much rather have one of the other series they offer but it doesn’t look like they are available for the Tundra at this time.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had a Leer from circa 2013 or so. It was garbage. I have an Are now and the fit and finish is much better. It is sort of a mid tier model, but everything is done much better than the Leer I had.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've had a Leer on my Tacoma since I bought it new in 2007. Paid $900. Have a Leer on my 2014 F150 ($1400) Prices have gone way up. Both are the basic model with nothing extra. Both are still in great shape. I did have to replace the pistons that keep the back window open on both trucks after a few years.

No personal experience with ARE. But I've been 100% satisfied with what I have and haven't seen any need to look elsewhere.

Last edited by JMR40; 04/29/23.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I haven't bought a truck cap for more than ten years but have had both in the past. Never a problem with either one. If anyone is thinking about a folding truck bed cover, I can tell you what not to buy!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Check out Craigslist you might find what your looking for at a fraction of the cost.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Check out Craigslist you might find what your looking for at a fraction of the cost.

Very true. I had an '89 F150 with a cheap aluminum cap that rattled and I junked that one because I wanted a fiberglass cap. Ford had changed the box size, so nothing nearly new off Craigslist was going to fit. Then looking at Autotrader.com I found a fiberglass cap the exact same color on an old truck at a dealership. A road trip and $75.00 and they were happy to take it off their truck for me. Lots of used truck places remove the caps for some reason before they sell the truck.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I went with a ARE on me last one mainly based on reviews, and it has been great. With that being said watch how they fit to make sure they are not rubbing paint where there should be space to clear. I ended up having to put a 1/8"x 2" strip rubber peace on my bed rails to make sure things cleared.

Rick
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
What does a new cab height ARE canopy cost without a bunch of extras?

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last time I shopped was in 2017, for a new Tundra. At that time, all the fiberglass canopies that I looked at from ARE, LEER, etc. basically seemed like crap. I went to several local dealers to check them out in person. I bought an ARE but it really didn't seem any better or worse than the others.

My expectations might have been high though, as I was originally planning on a metal canopy.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
As I said earlier I've had positive experiences with Leer. But there are too many negative posts to ignore. Unless I'm mistaken Leer has 2 manufacturing facilities. One in Indiana, and another in California. I wonder if there is a difference in quality depending on where they were made. Living in GA mine most likely came from Indiana. Could it be the ones made in California and sold in the west have more QC issues.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by kk alaska
What does a new cab height ARE canopy cost without a bunch of extras?

I have a pretty basic ARE cab high shell but added the sliding drop down front glass and windoors on both sides. $2,800 and a 16 week wait a year ago.

I’m guessing, I added about $450 with the extras.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Have had three Leer caps on F150’s over the last 20 years and purchased another Leer last August for a new truck. Latest Leer is absolutely flawless in fit, finish and function. More than double the $$$’s of the last one and hopefully the last I’ll need.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by JMR40
As I said earlier I've had positive experiences with Leer. But there are too many negative posts to ignore. Unless I'm mistaken Leer has 2 manufacturing facilities. One in Indiana, and another in California. I wonder if there is a difference in quality depending on where they were made. Living in GA mine most likely came from Indiana. Could it be the ones made in California and sold in the west have more QC issues.

Pretty sure that my Leer was made in Milton, PA.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Had a Leer on my F-150 Platinum worked great held up for 5 years, been trying to find a cap for a Jeep Gladiator,no luck so far, anyone got any idea's??? Rio7

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by RIO7
Had a Leer on my F-150 Platinum worked great held up for 5 years, been trying to find a cap for a Jeep Gladiator,no luck so far, anyone got any idea's??? Rio7

I was the A.R.E. Dealer today and a Jeep Gladiator was getting a topper. I think A.R.E. Is making three different models for the Gladiator.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RIO7
been trying to find a cap for a Jeep Gladiator,no luck so far, anyone got any idea's??? Rio7

Seen quite a few in my AO with the Smartcap EVO. They look pretty good but I have no personal experience with them:

https://www.na.rsismartcap.com/products/smartcap-evo-jeep-gladiator

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,660
Posts18,455,690
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.