Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hornady cam lock bullet puller item # 050095. Best $50 I ever spent (maybe). Get all the collets you'll potentially need. Best way to pull bullets fast. Does not harm the bullets when setup properly.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Buy a collet puller, way faster than an inertia and less likely to damage the bullets.

Never heard of them, how do they work?

P
Screws into press like a die, cartridge fits in the shell holder and goes up into the "die", there is a caliber specific collet that tightens on to the shank of the bullet. It is a bit like the collet in a Lee LCD. Mine is an RCBS, there is a handle on the top that tightens the collet. Hornady is somewhat different but same principle. Works fast. They can mar the bullet if you use a heavy crimp or if the bullet has cold welded to the case, but I doubt you'll have that issue. I can see Shrapnel's point about thin jacketed varmint bullets, bet you won't have the issue either with the 75's.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks, marring the bullet was my question.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Learned the same lesson, but not as harshly, with a .223AI and H335. Shot GREAT here in Montana at 40 degrees. First and only shot with it in Texas at 90 degrees blew the primer, End of H335....

I don't use it... too many other good options out there.. so why bother...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Book velocity, adjusting for barrel length and such, is my general guide. No free lunch exists.

Like others, I’ve also been bitten by stout loads that were worked up in cooler temps. A strong load of RL17 in a 6.5x47L did not agree with 90 degree days. Ditto for 335 and the 223AI, as others have mentioned. Only primers I remember popping.

Sticking with book speeds, testing in warm months, and trying to lean toward heat-stable powders for “fun” guns has helped.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I’ll tell you what, pulling 75 gr bullets with a kinetic hammer is a bitch. It took me a while to figure it out, not a lot of momentum with that little bullet.

P

Sometimes seating the bullets a bit deeper just before you pull them can help, but maybe not much if the cartridges were assembled recently.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Didn't read all this so not sure what your talking about now. Back to the OP's post, I think, seem's to me everyone that reloads push's the limit now and then, nature of the beast. Sometime we fry ourselves! I like to push it but work loads up mid to late spring when outside temps are a bit higher. When it get's hot out I seldom do much shooting so 90* temps don't phase me. I suspect if I shot in the heat I just might find I've pushed the envelope to far also! I can't imagine getting ready for a hunt in 100+* temp! First at 100* I'm normally sitting around somewhere drinking ice tea! Lucky thing probably as I do pust the limit when loading. Another good thing about me is I no longer like it all that cold. if there's a breeze and temp at about 45* to 50* you won't find me out shooting much anymore. Shoot anymore I don't even like hunting in those conditions. Just for grins tried shooting at just under 50* a while back and when I got to my shooting spot the breeze had picked up but was comin from my back. Went ahead and shot and damn near froze my finger's off!

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mathman
I’ll tell you what, pulling 75 gr bullets with a kinetic hammer is a bitch. It took me a while to figure it out, not a lot of momentum with that little bullet.

P

Sometimes seating the bullets a bit deeper just before you pull them can help, but maybe not much if the cartridges were assembled recently.

Yeah, they’re only a couple of months old.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Overpressure is a thing. I’ve seen it. And when you’re pushing the envelope and then the temperature gets into the 80’s, you’re fúcked.

Remember the 75 gr ELDM load I was so happy with? The one some of you guys said whoa Nelly you dumbass, that’s overpressure? And then I said I’m not getting any serious pressure signs and it shoots fantastic? And then you said okay it might shoot fantastic now, but what about when it gets hot? And I said I wasn’t worried about shooting in the heat?

Well, I shot in the heat. Fúck.

Normal bolt, see the little ledge? That ledge holds the bolt shroud on.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I’ll bet some of you already know where I’m going with this.

So here’s the bolt on my .223. Notice anything different?

Kinda odd, the bolt shroud blew off and landed in my shirt pocket. Made it pretty easy to find. Ripped that little ledge clean off.

Lesson definitely learned. And the important question, what’s the name of the piece I need, and where can I buy it?

If anyone wants to kick me when I’m down, feel free, I deserve it.

P

Dang man, that's probably your varmint model too? I'm just glad you are ok!. I know, I've made some remarks about you loading hot, or too hot. It could happen to anyone here, but that is why a lot of us say, start low and "work up". Double check your loads in varying temps as well. I recently had to back off of a damn good load in a new to me 308w, because I was getting stiff bolt lift on a book max load. It brought a tear to my eye because that load shot so damn well. That load was developed in 24 degree temps though. Had to reduce the load from 47gr to 45.5 to find the next good node man!!! But it will be safe, even in the summers heat. You are a good man to admit when you are wrong, and again glad to hear you are not hurt..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Buy a collet puller, way faster than an inertia and less likely to damage the bullets.

P

Be careful!

That collet puller can crimp the bullet quite easily on any light jacketed bullets. The inertia puller, although slower, is still a better way to go on light jackets...

I go inertia puller as the way to go also. Have collet puller but have simply ruined to many bullet's with it. Found with the inertia puller you'll mess up the tips if the blow that release's the bullet is to hard. Used to put toilet paper in it to catch the bullet and hope to save it. Now I simply watch the bullet and the last hit or two is softer and bullet doesn hit the bottom.

Last edited by DonFischer; 05/01/23.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DonFischer

P

Be careful!

That collet puller can crimp the bullet quite easily on any light jacketed bullets. The inertia puller, although slower, is still a better way to go on light jackets...

I go inertia puller as the way to go also. Have collet puller but have simply ruined to many bullet's with it. Found with the inertia puller you'll mess up the tips if the blow that release's the bullet is to hard. Used to put toilet paper in it to catch the bullet and hope to save it. Now I simply watch the bullet and the last hit or two is softer and bullet doesn hit the bottom.

You guys that use those cheap azzed inertia bullet pullers have some small girl hands too. I've broke a few of them, but I'm used to swinging a man's sized hammer. Collet puller has worked great for me.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Glad you’re okay Pharm.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Funny story, I was wearing eyes and ears, of course. Primers were cratered but bolt lift wasn’t bad. Took a break for awhile, let my nephew take a turn. What I didn’t know was that he had moved my box of shells into the sun. I wasn’t paying attention to it so when it was my turn I just loaded a magazine and got ready to slay a marmot.

Bam! Ignition was loud and I felt something tap my shirt. I looked down and the bolt shroud (aftermarket aluminum) was gone. I ejected the shell and lost it in the grass. Damn.

Started looking for the shroud, didn’t see it anywhere. What’s that in my shirt pocket? There it was. Tried to put it back on but with the lip missing off the firing pin assembly it wouldn’t stay on.

Lucky as hell, the only thing injured was my pride.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
You nailed it Shrapnel.

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the infatuation with a 223 and fast twist has done the shooting world a real injustice. The 223 is a small to moderate case designed for different ballistics than what it has become.

Somehow the desire to make the 223 a long range cartridge is like putting a 250,000 BTU furnace in a 6,000 square foot house. Certain things can be achieved, but at what expense?

I am no ballistician, but I can see how heavier bullets, spun faster in a barrel could create more pressure than it would equally balanced with a lighter bullet and slower twist.

I have killed deer and antelope with a 223, and I know it can be done, but I will continue to hunt big game with larger bullets in a larger cartridge and save the 223 for varmints, as it has proven itself to be one of the very best for just that purpose…

Hilarious.

Thousands of fast twist .223's not having pressure issues when loaded with 75's and Shrap chooses do bad mouth them when Pharm does something OBVIOUSLY stupid.

Are the 6BR, 6BRA and 6 Dasher doing the shooting world a real injustice Shrap?

LMAO

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ya know Lawrence,

I've never had a load with Blue Dot blow up on me, on a hot day....in a 223 or any other cartridge.

Just thought I'd toss that out there.... whistle

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Higginez
I think the infatuation with a 223 and fast twist has done the shooting world a real injustice. The 223 is a small to moderate case designed for different ballistics than what it has become.

Somehow the desire to make the 223 a long range cartridge is like putting a 250,000 BTU furnace in a 6,000 square foot house. Certain things can be achieved, but at what expense?

I am no ballistician, but I can see how heavier bullets, spun faster in a barrel could create more pressure than it would equally balanced with a lighter bullet and slower twist.

I have killed deer and antelope with a 223, and I know it can be done, but I will continue to hunt big game with larger bullets in a larger cartridge and save the 223 for varmints, as it has proven itself to be one of the very best for just that purpose…

Hilarious.

Thousands of fast twist .223's not having pressure issues when loaded with 75's and Shrap chooses do bad mouth them when Pharm does something OBVIOUSLY stupid.

LMAO

Ah, he just has a real hard on for fast twist cartridges right now. Not a damn thing wrong with them. We all know and have told Pharm his hot rodding will catch up to him. At least Pharm is man enough to admit when he fu cked up. Shrap doesn't think he can do wrong... Even though he's dead wrong about fast twist cartridges..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
Ya know Lawrence,

I've never had a load with Blue Dot blow up on me, on a hot day....in a 223 or any other cartridge.

Just thought I'd toss that out there.... whistle

I may delve into that one of these days. Just not there quite yet though..

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

Hilarious.

LMAO

Lol!!!

I noticed that too. I just thought wow talk about spinning something around. A man is hand-loading a factory rifle 100-150fps over book max and it’s the factory rifles twist rate that’s the problem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Hilarious.

LMAO

Ah, he just has a real hard on for fast twist cartridges right now. Not a damn thing wrong with them. We all know and have told Pharm his hot rodding will catch up to him. At least Pharm is man enough to admit when he fu cked up. Shrap doesn't think he can do wrong... Even though he's dead wrong about fast twist cartridges..

You and the others didn’t really read what I said. I didn’t blame the fast twist for the problem of over loading a cartridge. I did qualify that statement with theory. Yes, I am not a fan of fast twist 223 as it has become the golden boy of many that think it is some magical combination that kills like the hammer of Thor.

The truth is that long range shooting with high BC bullets is done with larger cartridges, the 223 is used in 3 gun or military categories and as such is limited by it’s case capacity to compete in long range shooting other than those disciplines.

All the guys that tout the killing ability of the fast 223 cartridge, I have no doubt have done it, but the message to the neophyte is that he could get the fast twist 223 and magically become Daniel Boone.

There is not a person on this board that has killed more game without a 223 or more varmints with a 223 than I have. I am not posting pictures of holes in paper and no one else is showing the superiority of the 223 with enough experience that doesn’t come from a background of shooting and hunting skill. That, I believe is sending the message to the beginner that the 223 with fast twist is as capable alone as it is without the experienced shooter behind it.

Dead pigs and other critters killed with the 223 are not in question, it is the continual insinuation that a 223 is a long range cartridge, and it can’t possibly compete with a 22-250 sized case or larger with a fast twist to shine beyond the limits of the velocity of a 223 and a heavier bullet…

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (44mc, 7887mm08, Akhutr, 10Glocks, 7x57Hunter, 12 invisible), 1,580 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,234
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.