-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is one of the reasons I ask questions on this site if I'm even a little nervous or ignorant about a new cartridge, powder, etc.... there is more experience here than anywhere I've been and I know I'll get reliable info if I ask the right people. I've only been reloading for 50 years now, so I still don't know it all....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
GB1

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Just when you know it all something else pops up and proves you wrong. That’s my problem anyway. Edk

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
A couple comments:

Shrapnel almost always jumps into these threads, saying he's used H335 for many years in his .223s and never had any problems.

But one thing he doesn't mention is that he HATES hot weather. I have shot PDs and "gophers" (Richardson's ground squirrels) with him many times over the years, and cannot remember ever doing so on a day over about 80 degrees.

Might also mention that I have tested a bunch of powders at temperatures from zero F. to around 100 degrees--and by that I mean in actual temperatures including the rifle, not just chilling or heating the ammo, which only rarely produces similar results. The velocities of the best temp-resistant powders don't change much at all from 70 down to zero, and even somewhat below zero. But they ALL result in faster velocities (and hence higher pressures) at temperatures above 70, usually becoming more obvious around 80.

The more temp-resistant powders, however, do tend to gain less velocity/pressure at over 80 than "standard" powders. Also, even the most temperature-sensitive powders (among which I'd list H335) don't vary much in velocity from temperatures in the 20s to around 80. Or at least none of the presently produced rifle powders I've tested have.

All of this is why I prefer the term temperature-resistant, rather than temperature-insensitive. None of 'em are totally immune to temperature, especially heat.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I agree MD. I won’t shoot 335 over 80 degrees. 2 of my favorite loads in a 223 won’t get used over 90 degrees. 26.5 grains BM and a 52 is a very accurate load, but on a 95 degree day it gave me issues such as stiff bolt lift. Finished that match with a load of 25.8 with no issues. Finished off that 26.5 batch in 70-80 weather with zero issues as usual. My other is 24 grains LT32 and a 52 that has to be backed down to 23.5 at 90+.
So my conclusion was that max or slightly over max loads don’t play well at 90-100 degrees even with temp resistant extreme powders like BM.

Swifty
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A couple comments:

Shrapnel almost always jumps into these threads, saying he's used H335 for many years in his .223s and never had any problems.

But one thing he doesn't mention is that he HATES hot weather. I have shot PDs and "gophers" (Richardson's ground squirrels) with him many times over the years, and cannot remember ever doing so on a day over about 80 degrees.

Might also mention that I have tested a bunch of powders at temperatures from zero F. to around 100 degrees--and by that I mean in actual temperatures including the rifle, not just chilling or heating the ammo, which only rarely produces similar results. The velocities of the best temp-resistant powders don't change much at all from 70 down to zero, and even somewhat below zero. But they ALL result in faster velocities (and hence higher pressures) at temperatures above 70, usually becoming more obvious around 80.

The more temp-resistant powders, however, do tend to gain less velocity/pressure at over 80 than "standard" powders. Also, even the most temperature-sensitive powders (among which I'd list H335) don't vary much in velocity from temperatures in the 20s to around 80. Or at least none of the presently produced rifle powders I've tested have.

All of this is why I prefer the term temperature-resistant, rather than temperature-insensitive. None of 'em are totally immune to temperature, especially heat.

This cannot be true because every truck he has, that I'm aware of, has AC and the barrels have been outside of the cab...

And despite his nickname, he doesn't hot rod his loads. Which is what this thread is really all about when we get down to it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
A couple comments:

Too dang funny!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A couple comments:

I have shot prairie dogs with H335 in weather above 90 degrees and still had no pressure issues. I am talking about real life experience and not surmised or hearsay. Mule Deer has a selective memory and likes to bring up instances where he looks as good as possible, he does have an image he needs to keep up.

Yes, John and I have shot a lot together and he would be amiss if he didn’t admit that I do have good guns and hit more than I miss with 223’s loaded with H335. John also is the one that made the sarcastic statement about how all the trucks driving around Montana with cracked windshields was due to cartridges loaded with H335 and cracked those windshields from cooking off in the heat.

John will also remark how I sight guns in on rocks and not always paper targets. He is also right about that, but it produces the same results that bsahunter does with all his targets.

Nobody else but John and HawkI have any ability to comment on what or how I shoot.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Higginez
I think the infatuation with a 223 and fast twist has done the shooting world a real injustice. The 223 is a small to moderate case designed for different ballistics than what it has become.

Somehow the desire to make the 223 a long range cartridge is like putting a 250,000 BTU furnace in a 6,000 square foot house. Certain things can be achieved, but at what expense?

I am no ballistician, but I can see how heavier bullets, spun faster in a barrel could create more pressure than it would equally balanced with a lighter bullet and slower twist.

I have killed deer and antelope with a 223, and I know it can be done, but I will continue to hunt big game with larger bullets in a larger cartridge and save the 223 for varmints, as it has proven itself to be one of the very best for just that purpose…

Hilarious.

Thousands of fast twist .223's not having pressure issues when loaded with 75's and Shrap chooses do bad mouth them when Pharm does something OBVIOUSLY stupid.

Are the 6BR, 6BRA and 6 Dasher doing the shooting world a real injustice Shrap?

LMAO

Ah, he just has a real hard on for fast twist cartridges right now. Not a damn thing wrong with them. We all know and have told Pharm his hot rodding will catch up to him. At least Pharm is man enough to admit when he fu cked up. Shrap doesn't think he can do wrong... Even though he's dead wrong about fast twist cartridges..

You and the others didn’t really read what I said. I didn’t blame the fast twist for the problem of over loading a cartridge. I did qualify that statement with theory. Yes, I am not a fan of fast twist 223 as it has become the golden boy of many that think it is some magical combination that kills like the hammer of Thor.

The truth is that long range shooting with high BC bullets is done with larger cartridges, the 223 is used in 3 gun or military categories and as such is limited by it’s case capacity to compete in long range shooting other than those disciplines.

All the guys that tout the killing ability of the fast 223 cartridge, I have no doubt have done it, but the message to the neophyte is that he could get the fast twist 223 and magically become Daniel Boone.

There is not a person on this board that has killed more game without a 223 or more varmints with a 223 than I have. I am not posting pictures of holes in paper and no one else is showing the superiority of the 223 with enough experience that doesn’t come from a background of shooting and hunting skill. That, I believe is sending the message to the beginner that the 223 with fast twist is as capable alone as it is without the experienced shooter behind it.

Dead pigs and other critters killed with the 223 are not in question, it is the continual insinuation that a 223 is a long range cartridge, and it can’t possibly compete with a 22-250 sized case or larger with a fast twist to shine beyond the limits of the velocity of a 223 and a heavier bullet…

There is not a person on this board that has killed more game without a 223 or more varmints with a 223 than I have.

NOW THERE IS A BOLD STATEMENT. BOTH ON GAME AND DOGS.

Bulllshitt

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 05/03/23.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I think the infatuation with a 223 and fast twist has done the shooting world a real injustice. The 223 is a small to moderate case designed for different ballistics than what it has become.

Somehow the desire to make the 223 a long range cartridge is like putting a 250,000 BTU furnace in a 6,000 square foot house. Certain things can be achieved, but at what expense?

I am no ballistician, but I can see how heavier bullets, spun faster in a barrel could create more pressure than it would equally balanced with a lighter bullet and slower twist.

I have killed deer and antelope with a 223, and I know it can be done, but I will continue to hunt big game with larger bullets in a larger cartridge and save the 223 for varmints, as it has proven itself to be one of the very best for just that purpose…

Hilarious.

Thousands of fast twist .223's not having pressure issues when loaded with 75's and Shrap chooses do bad mouth them when Pharm does something OBVIOUSLY stupid.

Are the 6BR, 6BRA and 6 Dasher doing the shooting world a real injustice Shrap?

LMAO

Ah, he just has a real hard on for fast twist cartridges right now. Not a damn thing wrong with them. We all know and have told Pharm his hot rodding will catch up to him. At least Pharm is man enough to admit when he fu cked up. Shrap doesn't think he can do wrong... Even though he's dead wrong about fast twist cartridges..

You and the others didn’t really read what I said. I didn’t blame the fast twist for the problem of over loading a cartridge. I did qualify that statement with theory. Yes, I am not a fan of fast twist 223 as it has become the golden boy of many that think it is some magical combination that kills like the hammer of Thor.

The truth is that long range shooting with high BC bullets is done with larger cartridges, the 223 is used in 3 gun or military categories and as such is limited by it’s case capacity to compete in long range shooting other than those disciplines.

All the guys that tout the killing ability of the fast 223 cartridge, I have no doubt have done it, but the message to the neophyte is that he could get the fast twist 223 and magically become Daniel Boone.

There is not a person on this board that has killed more game without a 223 or more varmints with a 223 than I have. I am not posting pictures of holes in paper and no one else is showing the superiority of the 223 with enough experience that doesn’t come from a background of shooting and hunting skill. That, I believe is sending the message to the beginner that the 223 with fast twist is as capable alone as it is without the experienced shooter behind it.

Dead pigs and other critters killed with the 223 are not in question, it is the continual insinuation that a 223 is a long range cartridge, and it can’t possibly compete with a 22-250 sized case or larger with a fast twist to shine beyond the limits of the velocity of a 223 and a heavier bullet…

There is not a person on this board that has killed more game without a 223 or more varmints with a 223 than I have.

NOW THERE IS A BOLD STATEMENT. BOTH ON GAME AND DOGS.

Bulllshitt

The only thing that stands out in almost everything he posts is his arrogance……

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very small world false arrogance.

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 05/03/23.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Replacement firing pin assembly arrived today. Waiting on the fancy bolt before I put her back together.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
IIRC, shrapnel uses 335 in more than just the 223.

There's never been any '335 "incidents" at any time I've shot with him, at least 3 or four times.

And yes, one year he bought a newly procured Sako 22-250 or 220 Swift that was "sighted in" on a rock or errant 'dog mound rested on the truck window bag.

I would bet shrapnel shot dogs today while the rest of us posted stupid stuff on the 'Fire. Heck, he shoots them when they first pop out of the snow.

Pharm,

Hope everything goes back into battery without issue.
I generally use tipped 75 grainers in the PD fields. I usually use the 222 Mag (I believe the 223 AI would be close) when getting in the velocities between 3k and 3,100 fps with those weight bullets in the 222 class cartridges.

Be safe.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
A couple comments:

I have shot prairie dogs with H335 in weather above 90 degrees and still had no pressure issues. I am talking about real life experience and not surmised or hearsay. Mule Deer has a selective memory and likes to bring up instances where he looks as good as possible, he does have an image he needs to keep up.

Yes, John and I have shot a lot together and he would be amiss if he didn’t admit that I do have good guns and hit more than I miss with 223’s loaded with H335. John also is the one that made the sarcastic statement about how all the trucks driving around Montana with cracked windshields was due to cartridges loaded with H335 and cracked those windshields from cooking off in the heat.

John will also remark how I sight guns in on rocks and not always paper targets. He is also right about that, but it produces the same results that bsahunter does with all his targets.

Nobody else but John and HawkI have any ability to comment on what or how I shoot.

I figured you were a legend anyway knowing you have burned a heck of a lot of powder. Didn't know you were temp sensitive.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zippy.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
26.0gr of tac bullet "barely" into the lands in a 223 chamber to boot ph uck me. Surprised you didn't a get a bolt into the forehead. Send that damn thing off and get a wylde chamber done up if you want to run 62K.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Curious what temps Pharm?

Can’t be that hot in OR yet.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'm sure most know this but I'll make a note of it as the discussion of powder sensitivity and getting hot in overpressuring seems to be up. Sure almost everyone knows that more sensitive powders you get out shooting prairie dogs let's say it 100°. your loads are going to be hotter and you run the risk of being overpressured with some things depending on how they were loaded at lower temperatures.
but what I've seen happen also if people don't think about leaving their ammo in the right sunlight somewhere especially like on the truck dash is a really big No-No. but what I've seen happen people don't think about they keep their ammo as cool as possible shaded in between towels or in a possibly a cooler in boxes, but then they've been shooting for a while the barrels borderline too hot but about to quit that gun and go to another quickly going to fire off another shot chamber around and then lose the shot and don't fire it. that does not open the bolt back up and eject the live round and it sits there in that very hot chambering barrel and gets way hotter than it should and that's when we go boom...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
These threads are always fascinating. They really demonstrate why one must being careful taking advice about anything from the internet, especially when it comes to load data. Another example is a thread sometime back where 30338 posted about an overload situation. The thread didn't gain as much traction, but was enlightening nonetheless to the dangers of hot loads.
A couple observations:
The two guys espousing H335 on this thread are also the two guys who've never found fault with Leupold. Make of that what you will.
A lot of the love for H335 around here back in the day was originally because of Big Stick, who pushed its use, though he lives in a locale where the temperature varies something like 30-40 degrees over the entire year. His sycophants picked up on the idea, but many later found H335 lacking in more varied environments. Yet many have still take his advice on powder selection, even when he espouses temperature sensitive powders like Leverevolution.

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Curious what temps Pharm?

Can’t be that hot in OR yet.

Just outside of Klamath Falls.

Plenty hot the two days we shot last week.

High 70’s both days.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
These threads are always fascinating. They really demonstrate why one must being careful taking advice about anything from the internet, especially when it comes to load data. Another example is a thread sometime back where 30338 posted about an overload situation. The thread didn't gain as much traction, but was enlightening nonetheless to the dangers of hot loads.
A couple observations:
The two guys espousing H335 on this thread are also the two guys who've never found fault with Leupold. Make of that what you will.
A lot of the love for H335 around here back in the day was originally because of Big Stick, who pushed its use, though he lives in a locale where the temperature varies something like 30-40 degrees over the entire year. His sycophants picked up on the idea, but many later found H335 lacking in more varied environments. Yet many have still take his advice on powder selection, even when he espouses temperature sensitive powders like Leverevolution.

P.G, it’s not about the powder per se, it is about loading 1.9 grains over max in a 223 plus a slight jam. That sir is a recipe for disaster no matter what powder you use. But yes a lot of this sh*t got started with the kiss, find pressure and rock on even if you are 2 grains over max crap.
Pharm got lucky, found out the hard way he did. Good buddy of many years lost his right eye and spent 2 months in the hospital from a bolt hitting him in the face from an overload.

Swifty
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,505
Posts18,452,557
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.