-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I just ordered a dozen K9 traps to attempt coyote/bobcat removal. Will the earth anchors be enough to hold the trap? I have always used either drags or rebar on fox and coons.

I have never trapped a coyote so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Keith

CK
GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Depends on the make of anchor and youre soil conditions. What kind are they? How long of cable or chain is on them? Coyotes put more pull and abuse on equipment than a fox or coon ever thought of. Give us some particulars and well get you headed in the right direction.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Wolf fang with 16” cable or the finned Fox Hollow with 16” chain is what I’m looking at. Soil is typical Ozark rocky.

CK
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I use Wolf Fang earth anchors. I have never had an issue if properly set. Thay can be hard to hammer in near roots or rocks. Also if soil is really wet or loose, pay special attention and set them good. You will know when you pull on them if they will hold.

If I can't pull them loose pulling straight up, a coyote will never pull them out pulling sideways. Better buy or make a puller to remove them and even then, you will break some off.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
J-hook tool and crunch proofs and then you can leave the anchors especially if you’ll be setting the same places year after year.

Curious why you don’t want to use stakes or drags if that’s what you’re used to?

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
Wolf fang with 16” cable or the finned Fox Hollow with 16” chain is what I’m looking at. Soil is typical Ozark rocky.
Those will work just fine. In youre ground you may not be able to drive them in all the way. Set them as scott270 said and rest easy. They may not pull at all and you will end up just leaving them in the ground. Good luck!

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
I just ordered a dozen K9 traps to attempt coyote/bobcat removal. Will the earth anchors be enough to hold the trap? I have always used either drags or rebar on fox and coons.

I have never trapped a coyote so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Keith
I'm in Pettis County and use 2" fender washer anchors for my cable restraints. Never had any problem holding 'yotes.
I have had to move a few feet or yards to get to where I can sink my anchors properly.
Make an anchor puller to save you're back and don't plan on pulling them when the ground is froze.
If you're going to set the anchors and leave them in place year after year, use stainless cable and mark the loops very well with surveyor's ribbon... they can be hard to find a few months later.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Really appreciate the advice. Thank you gentlemen

CK
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
These are Wolf Fang style anchors. Properly set they will hold the nastiest and meanest bobcat or coyote. Depending on your soil type that will dictate how long your cable needs to be. I have medium/heavy clay type soil so I use a 12 inch cable, your soil may dictate a longer cable.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Always wanted to catch a black one , nice yote .

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I used the early ones when they first came out. Small section of round tubing about 4” cut at 45 degrees on both ends. A nut welded in the middle to connect to a cable. I used 1/8” cable on mine. Never had one pulled by any animal and I caught a lot of coyotes on them. I don’t think a butcher size Hereford could pull one out. Most of my sets I could drive to so I used the truck to pull them. There’s a fair number of them still in the ground in Eastern Washington. Sometimes the cable would break before the anchor pulled.

So no. Neither a bobcat or coyote is going to pull one out.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,355
Posts18,468,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.