Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
6x MQ SS is on the short list, but I was kind of hoping the 2-10x32 would show up first to see if it’s the scope I’m looking for. Been on back order since early January…

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart[/quote
My old Sightron holds the distinction of being the only scope I ever had internally fog so it didn't get high marks for reliability.

What did Sightron do when you sent it back?

Forbidden Zoner
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They sent me a new one. The new one had an obvious, visible blemish on an internal lens so I sent that one back too. They sent me a second new one and I immediately sold it. Never did care for the super thin center crosshairs. Their customer service was excellent.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a m8 6x36 on a 300 win mag for close
To 20 years. Never adjusted it. And it was far from a safe queen. It ought to be in the running.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Bullet proof means what to you ? To me it means something that with take rough treatment and still work. I've never had a Leupold shift zero from the bad falls where I have literally pitched m rifle away from me and down on the rocks. That includes an M8 4X, an FXII 4X, a VariX II, 3-9 Compact, an FX3 6X42, and a 1.5-4X Scout Scope.
As far as 300 yds. shots, that can be done with iron sights in good light. Any of the above can easily do that.
BTW, considering Phil Shoemaker's experience with the Leuold 2.5X Ultralight, 6.5 ozs., I've seriously considered buying one. I haven't simply because I have more than enough good, tough scopes. E

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
Building some ultralight rifles. Want under 16 oz., shots to 300 max, no turret twisting. Typically run Leupold fixed powers but they seem to have fallen out of favor here, what else is out there you recommend.

What experience have YOU had with Leupold?? You are not much of a man if you are going to let others here dictate what you use. I use the hell out of Burris FFII 3-9x40 with the ballistic plex reticle, because it simply works. I'm not going to say that's what you should get though. 300 yards is not a very far shot. I've had issues with Leupold and don't trust them for the most part, but I was out yesterday with a rifle wearing a Leupold. It's an older Vari-X IIc 3-9X40 Tactical that I trust for right now. If you haven't had any problems with Leupold, keep using them.
Wow right out of the gate. I'm thinking you need to get laid, might take the edge off, the grumpy!😎

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Starbuck
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Starbuck
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
I suggest giving the Sightron S1's a serious lok.

https://sightron.com/collections/s1-series

Al:

I'm looking to give the 1.75-5 S1 a try on a couple of old school levers. Have you ran any of that model since they came out?
I'd be interested to hear how that works out. I considered it but I had a Sightron S-1 before and didn't like their wider than average duplex with very thin center crosshairs that were quick to disappear in fading light. It appears Sightron has stuck with those same crosshairs on the G-2's. It also appears to suffer from the trendy overly bloated ocular bell and power ring that are so popular today and might require higher rings than I want on my lever rifles in order to clear the hammer. Those negatives plus the nearly 13 oz. weight made me cross it off my list as a lever gun scope.

I've had good luck with several Sightrons over the past couple of decades. Haven't found their duplex to be limiting for my uses. The 13 oz doesn't bother me. Main concern is reliability, which I haven't always found with several models of lighter scopes that have smaller ocular housings. I want something that holds zero after a lot of knocking about on FS roads and while tripping over snow covered deadfall while putting the track on or still hunting second and third growth timber. I'd prefer a #4 variety reticle, but is what it is. Center is center.

I went through this recently wanting to replace a fixed 6x Burris (been a great scope) preferably with another #4 but in a variable. I did look at the Sightron but not crazy on the reticle. I had an SII years ago but ditched it. Looked at another Meopta, another Burris, the Natchezss Weaver (which got me interested) even Trijicon and Swaro ( last two I felt just too much $$$ for something I really don't 'need'. The LAST place I looked was at the Leupold Freedom which lo and behold I discovered is offered in a #4. Certainly not a heavy scope. I will see how it stacks up against my other Burris or VX3. Nice looking scope too. Not crazy knarled power ring or 3 inch turrets. Decent clicks. Checked all the boxes for me. Still, if doing all over I might have just gone with a Fullfield with a BP reticle and saved a few bucks. Really hard to beat them- but so far am liking the new Leupold and kept in budget. None I looked at were Chinese. Prerequisite.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
The Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8 prior to the current versions is a very nice scope in the 13 ounce weight range.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Liftman101
The Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8 prior to the current versions is a very nice scope in the 13 ounce weight range.

yes good glass, a nice reticle far or near and made by LOW in Japan. Getting a little harder to find now

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
Building some ultralight rifles. Want under 16 oz., shots to 300 max, no turret twisting. Typically run Leupold fixed powers but they seem to have fallen out of favor here, what else is out there you recommend.

What experience have YOU had with Leupold?? You are not much of a man if you are going to let others here dictate what you use. I use the hell out of Burris FFII 3-9x40 with the ballistic plex reticle, because it simply works. I'm not going to say that's what you should get though. 300 yards is not a very far shot. I've had issues with Leupold and don't trust them for the most part, but I was out yesterday with a rifle wearing a Leupold. It's an older Vari-X IIc 3-9X40 Tactical that I trust for right now. If you haven't had any problems with Leupold, keep using them.

"You are not much of a man if you are going to let others here dictate what you use" WTF??? Asking for product feedback is not the same as letting others "dictate" what you use. F'ME!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maven RS2 2.5-10. 13 oz I think. Sits on my backcountry MKV 240 and my TI 2.0 MKV 6.5 RPM

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Calvin
Trijicon credo 3-9x40 comes in at 17oz. Solid scopes. Am impressed with them so far.
I’m liking mine so far.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fotis
Maven RS2 2.5-10. 13 oz I think. Sits on my backcountry MKV 240 and my TI 2.0 MKV 6.5 RPM

How is the eye relief ? I hear it is short. And how is the eye box ? I hear the optics are brite and it is a tough little scope , but never hear anything about actually using it to kill deer.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I’d echo some of the Sightron comments. Their SII Big Sky 6x42 was crazy bright/clear, and trumped a lot of much more expensive stuff in that regard. However, the duplex reticle disappeared way before it should have, due to the thinness.

If you can find a Leupold that checks your boxes, go for it. I’m not a Leupold badger by any means, but the have made some line changes for the worse lately, IMO. I love the discontinued versions of the 1-4, 1.5-5, VX-R and heavy reticles or custom shop options.

I also have zero negative to say about Trijicons in general, and especially the Accupoint. Awesome hunting scopes.

The Vortex LHs in 1.5-8 and 2-10 are tho only Vortex scopes I’ve kept, I think. They’re very nice.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Fotis

Nice! How is the eyebox on your Maven compared to say a Leupold 3.5-10x40?.....Thanks Hb

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,547
Posts18,453,523
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.