Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
...for my first season. Trees are just starting to bud, still looks like winter! No ground cover, nothing growing yet, just had another 8" of snow last Sunday, can see for miles through the woods... lol! But I'm goin turkey huntin...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
BP-B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Dean, I was just in the UP. Snowed every day except one. Rained too. Generally warmed to the mid 40s every day. Did not slow the birds down. Good luck!! You can see my harvested Tom in an earlier thread.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck. Let me know if you need help dragging. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good luck, Dean! I'll be with you in spirit. (Hope that doesn't bring you bad luck!) I'm heading out tomorrow, too, into the woods that look like its mid-summer.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Best of luck. Hope you get to shoot one in the face! Not that I'm hostile toward them or anything....

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good luck and may you find a volunteer to ride in your truck

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Yeah, my buddy Jerry is going with... lol! I know what you mean! Haha!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best of luck !!!!

Call 'em close. Shoot straight.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
Good luck

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Well... zero, nada, scratch! The property we were hunting had had a bad wind storm recently, and I mean bad! Big trees snapped in half, limbs down all over the place, trees blown over and the roots pulling up and leaving craters. And the trees that snapped, looked like they had exploded, wood shrapnel everywhere! The woods were truly a mess. We found older turkey sign, droppings in the old logging roads. But not a turkey to be seen or heard and we looked! Usually, in the morning, gobbles everywhere, near and far, but not this time. Not one gobble... nothing to be heard on the property or surrounding properties. No hen talk, zero response by anything turkey to our calling. We even went out and drove all around by fields where we'd always see birds... nothing, not one! Frustrated and disappointed to say the least. The highlight of the weekend was hearing a coyote and a raccoon going at it in a fight to the death! We slipped into an area that, historically, is a great first light area and as we sat in the dark waiting, the growls and hisses and barking started up. In the end, heard to coyote running away whimpering very loudly. Hopefully turkeys will eventually move back into the area. So, other than that Mrs. Lincoln....

But I leave again tomorrow morning for my property in NE WI with renewed hope and vigor...

NRA life member

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Oddly in the UP this year, most mornings were quiet. I harvested my Tom at 3pm; started working him before 2pm. Keep positive, things will pick up.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Congrats on getting an afternoon bird.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by smitty_bs
Oddly in the UP this year, most mornings were quiet. I harvested my Tom at 3pm; started working him before 2pm. Keep positive, things will pick up.

I've been doing this a long time, have experienced all kinds of turkey behavior, loud.. quiet, run you over, run away... fast... and have shot more afternoon birds than morning birds. Also been hunting this piece of property for over 30 years, know where to look and know where to go. They just weren't there. The disconcerting thing is that nothing was seen, or heard, on any of the surrounding properties either, that's never happened! Wisconsin turkey hunting hours are, basically, from light to dark and we were out there light to dark. Nothing! Lol! But yes, remain positive and keep having at it and I will.

NRA life member

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Just talked to some other guys that hunt in the same area, just South of Mauston, WI, and they too experienced the same thing. Things that make you say hmmm....

NRA life member

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
let's face it, they will make you say things you are not supposed to say.
I figured that was why PA did not allow hunting on Sunday, so you could go the church and repent for all the things you said while chasing them Monday thru Saturday.....lol

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Well, on the 6th day I finally had birds in front of me and put one on the ground. The action was slow, to say the least, and toms weren't at all interested in leaving the fields where the hens were to look for the sorry hen calling from the field edge! There were a couple maybes prior to the 6th day, but it seamed I kept zigging when I should have been zagging as quiet birds are a challenge! The 6th morning started out the same as the last 5, birds gobbling on the roost and then nothing after hitting the ground and heading to the fields to the east of my place. Only difference on the 6th day, it was a little warmer and a little nicer. Later morning after a long sit, I got up to stretch as the birds I was seeing were hundreds of yards away from me. I looked to my left and there were a couple birds close by and heading my way. I quickly sat back down, got ready and let the tom walk into my gun and was done. There were no hens around to watch the show, seams I finally sounded like a prospect for a tom and he came looking.

NRA life member

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Congrats on your bird. Like I always say, "I just need a volunteer"!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats, Dean

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Congratulations!! Perseverance pays off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heck yeah! Every hunt is an adventure. 👍

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.