Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Am I the only one who wants a basic, solid, reliable fixed power scope any more? Seems like nobody is making them and everything now has 30mm tube and 5x variable range. Would it be feasible to get a group of us together looking for some fixed powers to see if we could get a bulk order from Leupold? I see their FX-3 6x42 has been available but was hoping they would make them available through their VIP program. No such luck. May just bite the bullet and pay retail for the scope, but either way I am a bit torqued by the lack of options in this field.

BP-B2

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I Hear ya. Would love a 6x42LRD at a reasonable price...

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Last Leupold I bought was a Vari X IIIi 3.5-10x40 and it’s going back to Leupold. Won’t stay in focus and has an obvious parallax issue. Never had these issues with a fixed Leupy. Only reason I bought this particular scope was because there weren’t any FX available. Come on Leupold! Get it together!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Last Leupold I bought was a Vari X IIIi 3.5-10x40 and it’s going back to Leupold. Won’t stay in focus and has an obvious parallax issue. Never had these issues with a fixed Leupy. Only reason I bought this particular scope was because there weren’t any FX available. Come on Leupold! Get it together!

Do you mean VX-3i ?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I was thinking yesterday that I would love Trijicon to take the 3-9x40 platform and make it a straight 6x

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 25aught6
I Hear ya. Would love a 6x42LRD at a reasonable price...

Me too!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I guess not enough of us bought them when they still marketed them. I lucked onto a used straight six Meopta here on the classifieds...after hunting with it one season, I can say comfortably that I could convert my whole damn inventory to something like that. I just don't need a variable in the country I hunt, I don't need big clickety click knobs, I don't need nautical twilight lenses, I would run hard to avoid anything illuminated, 100 yard parallax works goodenuff for me. I'm glad the long shooting became popular...it raised the bar on optics, bullets, precision...we all benefited to a lesser degree, but too bad the sales people blew right on by what I would call basic workhorse optics.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I'd love for Leupold to unscrew themselves and start selling a decent 4x again. Failing that, I'd take https://www.nightforceoptics.com/riflescopes/competition/competition-sr-fixed-45x24/ with the Forceplex reticle, ideally illuminated.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I started hunting, in 1956, with a 2.5-4X B&L on their adjustable mounts. Later I went to a 2.5-8X B&L that I used for many years. Didn't get a fixed power scope until 1972. It was a 4X B&L. In 1987, I bought a Remington Mtn. Rifle and mounted a 4X Leupold on it. Jack O'Connor liked the 2.5-4X stuff for his rifles, so I thought I'd try some. Later, I went back to variables. Had a 6.5-20X Leupold on my "long range magnum," a Mk.5 Weatherby. Still have a few, but none are on my serious big game rifles. I've learned the deer I hunt don't stand around, broadside, and wait for me to range them, make a wind call, and assume some sort of solid shooting position. I'm sure some people hunt in places where that is the way it works, but I haven't hunted like that for sometime.
The four year old class bucks I hunt, all take off running, stay down in the wash, and duck in and out of cover, as I try to hit them. Never have I killed one over 150 yds. out. E

IC B3

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by okie john
I'd love for Leupold to unscrew themselves and start selling a decent 4x again. Failing that, I'd take https://www.nightforceoptics.com/riflescopes/competition/competition-sr-fixed-45x24/ with the Forceplex reticle, ideally illuminated.

Okie John

Not too bad but $2K?

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Am I the only one who wants a basic, solid, reliable fixed power scope any more? Seems like nobody is making them and everything now has 30mm tube and 5x variable range. Would it be feasible to get a group of us together looking for some fixed powers to see if we could get a bulk order from Leupold? I see their FX-3 6x42 has been available but was hoping they would make them available through their VIP program. No such luck. May just bite the bullet and pay retail for the scope, but either way I am a bit torqued by the lack of options in this field.

I literally signed up for the VIP program with the intent of getting an FX3 6X42. This is what I want on my newly acquired MKV .270WBY.

I called Leupold and spoke to a couple of different people none of which had any answers.

My search for an appropriate scope for that rifle continues.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I lucked up and scored a nib meostar R1 7x56 last year.....sweeeet....worth every penny.

Recently picked up a FX3 6x42 from Gritr.....got it zeroed on a .308.......hoping the crosshairs stay put.

Looking forward to how it does in ow light next fall.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I wonder if most folks know how much point of impact can shift as you change magnification. A simple, svelte scope that works doesn’t sound like too much to ask. I’ve several swfa fixed power scopes that work but I hate the Mattel toy clunky look.
One scope I was messing around with, doing some short range 22 rimfire shooting and the groups shifted so much between power settings that I literally wanted to take the scope off right then and there and smash it with a hammer so nobody else would have to deal with its frustrations.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Which Reupold was it? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
A 6 X42 with "duplex" crosshairs is, in my opinion, the best scope/ power available for the normal guy/normal use. Whatever that is, other than me. 4X would be second. Most of my scopes are variables, however, because that's what is/was most commonly available at reasonable prices before I learned better.

They work, and I'm too lazy to sell them off and rebuy 6X42 scopes all around. But variables are what sell (and what has been "sold") to "the common man" - i.e, the most scope buyers.

I've a 3X Leupold I should hang on something, but it has very fine crosshairs, which I am not fond of.

Last edited by las; 05/04/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by mathman

Do you mean VX-3i ?

Yes, probably.

J
Jeffrey Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by OGB

I literally signed up for the VIP program with the intent of getting an FX3 6X42. This is what I want on my newly acquired MKV .270WBY.

I called Leupold and spoke to a couple of different people none of which had any answers.

I’m in the same boat as you. Looking to scope my Montana in 280ai. Leupold service told me to sign up for email notifications and be quick to buy when the notification came. I’m seeing the scope at carious retailers over the last couple of weeks, but still not from Leupold. I sent another message asking if they would have any available through the VIP program and got ghosted. So much for “VIP”.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I prefer to use the Kahles 6x42 and the Meopta 6x42 both with the #4 reticle. Alas the used market is the only way to get them now

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by OGB

I’m in the same boat as you. Looking to scope my Montana in 280ai. Leupold service told me to sign up for email notifications and be quick to buy when the notification came. I’m seeing the scope at carious retailers over the last couple of weeks, but still not from Leupold. I sent another message asking if they would have any available through the VIP program and got ghosted. So much for “VIP”.

I've briefly considered a bent fender klassic 6x42 but at around $1k it's too rich for my blood.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10Glocks, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222ND, 16penny, 75 invisible), 2,768 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.