Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Will be traveling through Johannesburg next week and staying the night prior to leaving for Port Elizabeth.

Can you keep your firearms with the police after you check them in?

Have rooms booked at the nearby Marriott and we cannot have them there.

Hearing mixed reviews and want to confirm if its just easier to stay somewhere else.

Thanks

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've been though Johannesburg a couple of times. I've never heard of anyone leaving their guns at the airport police station. I'm not sure there is anywhere to store them there anyway. I would get a hotel that will allow you to keep your firearms. City Lodge will do that and it's right in the airport complex.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If I were overnighting with guns and didn't want to leave the airport I'd stay at City Lodge, as mentioned above where you keep your rifles in your room. If you want to leave the airport, go straight to Africa Sky guest house.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by bowmanh
I've been though Johannesburg a couple of times. I've never heard of anyone leaving their guns at the airport police station. I'm not sure there is anywhere to store them there anyway. I would get a hotel that will allow you to keep your firearms. City Lodge will do that and it's right in the airport complex.
This ^^^

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Easy choice CITY LODGE in airport

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Cheapest choice, City Lodge at JNB. Nicest choice Intercontinental at JNB. It also has the best food.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 05/04/23.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Sky Africa is a very good choice. They’ll store firearms and the food, accommodations and service are very good. They’ll meet you when you disembark and take you through customs. Interestingly most of the service staff are Zimbabweans.

As far as I know SAPS at JNB doesn’t allow firearms to be stored there.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always stayed at City Lodge. Guns are allowed in your room.

We came back on Sunday April 30 and Hunter's Support stashed us in the Intercontinental lobby for a little while during our layover. The lobby was lovely. I thought I'd check out the pricing. No pricelist. Rates vary with how busy/capacity %. Sunday's rate was $320 USD, which was more than twice the rate we paid at City Lodge on April 11th. At best we are in the hotel room from 11pm to 8am. I'll pay the City Lodge rate and apply the savings to trophy fees.

Air 2000, Hunter's Support will put your guns in the safe, even for a few days, but only if you used one of their charters.

Last edited by AB2506; 05/05/23.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Africa Sky offers a great service at very fair prices.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
IC B3

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Another vote for City Lodge

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're on a daytime layover, one thing you can do is hire a driver from Hunter's Support. All your baggage, including rifle, will be with you in the vehicle.

Twice I've had Gavin S. from Hunter's Support, He's a retired dentist and drives a VW van with a 5 cylinder Audi motor in it. Plenty of room for the luggage and 2-3 passengers. Gavin is very pleasant and will keep you safe and show you some sights.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tag

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by AB2506
If you're on a daytime layover, one thing you can do is hire a driver from Hunter's Support. All your baggage, including rifle, will be with you in the vehicle.

Twice I've had Gavin S. from Hunter's Support, He's a retired dentist and drives a VW van with a 5 cylinder Audi motor in it. Plenty of room for the luggage and 2-3 passengers. Gavin is very pleasant and will keep you safe and show you some sights.

If you do this be sure to go to Safari Outdoors. Great hunting, firearms and fishing store.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by BlackHunter

If you do this be sure to go to Safari Outdoors. Great hunting, firearms and fishing store.

They have an impressive collection of dies, powders, bullets, and primers.

Wish we had what they have...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ive been multiple time. City Lodge is the ticket

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BlackHunter

Been There, Done That. Nice store. In 2019, it had a restaurant upstairs.

Another store worth visiting is Cambanos and Son. We spent hours there looking for gifts and collectibles. Awesome store. Everything from gold, diamonds to elephant mounts.

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you leave a firearm anywhere in RSA that isn't very secure that firearm will be sold on the black market 20 min after you leave it. My experience is the PoPo in JBurg are not really trustworthy. Americans coming there for safari are seen as a cash cow to be milked as often and as hard as possible.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Used the City Lodge inside the terminal complex. Literally, less than a 10 min. walk from the SAPS office to the front desk. You will have your choice of "Official" and "Un-Official porters to help you get from the SAPS office the hotel's elevator up to the check-in desk. Official Porters will be dressed in dark blue and a porter's type cap on and name badges round their necks. The work for just tips.

Baggage trollies are free at the baggage carousal and you can take them all the way to the City Lodge elevator up. Depending on how many total bags/rifle cases a $5-$10 tip is all you need. Tell the porter what time you want to leave the hotel the next morning and same guy will likely be there at the elevator with a trolley the next morning and take you to the proper check-in counter for your flt and to the Domestic SAPS office on the opposite side of the terminal from the International side where you came in, for another $5-$10.00 tip.

IF you do decide to check your rifles in someplace for storage, TAKE THE BOLT(s) out and keep them with you. Perfectly legal and greatly reduces the attractiveness for them to disappear.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ended up using a local recommended guy "Tumi" and he couldn't have been any more helpful.

100 bucks for the permit assistance and 20 bribe to the local poo poo to keep our rifles at the station overnight.

There waiting in the morning and expedited through the airport lines. Apparently he used to work at the airport and nows who's who.

Arrived at camp late yesterday afternoon about 3 hours North of Port Elizabeth and the weather is truly chitty.

Wind and rain, appears to be letting up and hopefully we can get out starting tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,523
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.