Hop To
#18397980 05/04/23
C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I am looking for a red dot sight for an AR. I'm way out of the loop on what's good these days. Not looking for magnification, and concerned mostly with reliability and battery life. I was leaning toward the Trijicon SRO, but curious what the campfire says.

ARIC

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The best is gonna be Aimpoint but for the money, I’m not seeing any reason to ditch my Sig Romeo5 or any of my Holosuns on my pistols.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cwh2
I am looking for a red dot sight for an AR. I'm way out of the loop on what's good these days. Not looking for magnification, and concerned mostly with reliability and battery life. I was leaning toward the Trijicon SRO, but curious what the campfire says.

If looking at Trijicon, look at the MRO.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I have several Sig Romeo 5s, because they are cheap and they seem to work pretty well. I also have several of the reflex-style red dots, Vortex Vipers and Venoms, on various handguns.

If I felt the urge for something more Gucci, I would probably go with the Aimpoint PRO for an AR.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those dots intended for pistols, like the SRO, are more prone to parallax issues.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Ahhh... Gotch, thanks.

The aimpoint pro doesn't seem that crazy. Might just go that route.

This is for a 458 socom that is going to see camp defense duty at moose camp. Lots of grizzerly bears in the neighborhood, and our cross-river neighbor killed 3 last year.

Appreciate the advice so far!

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Aimpoint. Battery life is insane. As is ruggedness. My M2 purchased around 20 years ago is still on the original Li+ battery. No, not kidding. I don't leave it on, to be fair.

But the Micros are left on, and are on their first batteries. Anything having/needing a kill switch is a out - that's a deal breaker for me.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The dots used on pistols like the Trijicon RMR were first designed and fielded on AR’s. They do have parallax issues but so does the MRO which is one reason I never liked the MRO.

Aimpoint H1 and T1 micros have some parallax problems too, they fixed most of that with the H2/T2 line. Battery life is 50,000 hrs on setting 7 which is not bright enough to be useable in daylight or with a weapon light. Crank them up to be daylight bright and the battery will still last a couple of years with my testing. The PRO is a good choice with less battery life, a decent price but a poorly designed mount. The newer production Aimpoints across the board are not as bright as the older ones but still daylight bright.

EOTech has no battery life compared to everything else. They are great to use if you have free batteries but I quit them long ago.

The Holosun and Sig’s have been perfect for me at a fraction of the cost. Yep, they’re made in China but they have some great features and have been proven to be rugged enough. I was planning on replacing my Aimpoint H2 I sold with another rifle but the Romeo 5 has survived everything I’ve done with it so far. I still might replace it but not just yet.

C
cwh2 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks guys!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
shoot, ur a week or two late. got an older aimpoint that's been a dedicated "camp gun" bear gun for a while but i ain't bear hunting or even in bear country anytime soon.

but it's at home and i'm knees in the breeze.

if a couple hundred bucks difference doesn't matter, grab an aimpoint PRO and get it on an SKD riser.. nobody, kids, wives, old men shoot 1.93 or 2.04 height bad.

the billion hours battery, large window and known old in the tooth aimpoint rugged reliability is unreal. the qrp2 mount is good..

if size and price is a thing then yeah maybe the holosun
403r is my choice. not shake awake or buttons to mess with. if ur after a riser know that its site higher then a t2.

if ur after a cheapy beater where size isn't an issue the Sig Romeo 7 is the best cheap dot. factory mounts solid.. it does fine under night vision.. and again get it on a riser and it's sweet dot.

get me on the horn if u need anything else info wise.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Been flogging on "dots" daily for 2wks straight and I want Holosun,because I've shot/got the rest of it. Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
It tool me awhile to finally put dot sites on my turkey guns and after beating in the woods and patterning multiple guns for friends and customers over the last couple months... holosun and don't look back. My burris dots will be sold and replaced with 507k in the coming months. The burris hasn't failed me but the function, sight picture, and illumination of the holosun has sold me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm an Aimpoint fan, as they've held up to classes and the battery life is great. The PRO is bigger than the micro dots, but less money.

Holosun has some decent offerings, but I stopped buying chinesium crap. Knob>push buttons.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
For hunting I like a 1 MOA dot. For self-defense, I'd want a 3-4 MOA.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Holosun 510 and like it

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
They are all pretty good. I have three Burriss FFIII and two Vortex... they all work great. No problems with any in 5 years.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I vote Aimpoint - I have a PRO and it is rock solid.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had good luck using Trijicon MRO's on AR-15's. I've shot them in a lot of matches and had zero issues. They are durable and less expensive than an Aimpoint and seem to have a wider FOV.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The Primary Arms Gen 2 Prism sight is cool.
I had DD irons on a free float and no matter what with irons zeroed and optic zeroed....the reticle was not on front sight post perfect. Was off to the side.

The easiest solution would be to run the prism w no sights or have fold down irons as backups.

My solution is to dump the prism sight, run my DD fixed irons and clock a reflex at 45 degrees. Leupold DPP w smallest dot.

Went to two shops to get one today, none.

Last edited by hookeye; 05/24/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
700 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 74 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.