Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Do you buy and use up $30-$50 knives every couple years or have you invested in higher end steel?

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Lower end Dexter-Russel...American Steel, American made...used by the industry, used by me. I can't imagine having to replace one "every couple years"...but I don't know what you do for a living.
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Do you buy and use up $30-$50 knives every couple years or have you invested in higher end steel?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Lower end Dexter-Russel...American Steel, American made...used by the industry, used by me. I can't imagine having to replace one "every couple years"...but I don't know what you do for a living.
Oh, I don't clean fish commercially. (And I tend to take pretty good care of knives.) I meant more that most of the folks I know don't tend to take care of cheaper fillet knives and either lose, break, or ruin them. But I also know a couple guys who just dropped $300 on Magnacut fillet knives. Hence my thread.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Oh, I don't clean fish commercially. (And I tend to take pretty good care of knives.) I meant more that most of the folks I know don't tend to take care of cheaper fillet knives and either lose, break, or ruin them. But I also know a couple guys who just dropped $300 on Magnacut fillet knives. Hence my thread.
$300 for a filet knife seems over-the-top ridiculous.

Dexter-Russell or Forschner/Victorinox
Hundreds of thousands of pros can't be wrong.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've got both.

I keep a couple 6" Rapalas around and also have a really nice custom from Phil Wilson. The Rapalas are beaters and I keep the Wilson at home or where I'm staying so it doesn't end up in the drink.

I like the performance of my custom better but I don't take it on a boat. It is for cleaning at fish cleaning stations back at the dock or at home.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What Dude said

Sam......

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I like thin thin, did I say thin, carbon steel. The cheaper the better. Dexter Russel is good in traditional carbon. I always use a steel while filleting fish every 20 or so anyway. Thin carbon gets razor sharp with just a couple swipes. No way I would give over $50 for a fillet knife.

Keep a cheap stainless Rapala or two on the boat. Not great but it will work and is much better where it stays wet often.

Last edited by RHClark; 05/05/23.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Mine were all about wore out, had Mike Miller make me one this winter, can't wait to try it out!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I keep 3-4 kershaw 7" fillet knives on my boat at all times. I buy em on sale at Bass pro for $10 and use em up or they fall in the river and I just grab another one. Filleting thru 20-30 salmon in a day I don't like to have to stop and sharpen, I'd rather do it at home when everything s done and cleaned up.
I've got an expensive semi custom knife, but I haven't noticed any difference in performance between it and the $10 cheapies, so thats what I use.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I have several old USA made old timer filet knives that have seen lots of use and stood up to the rest of time.

I had LJ Rosi build me one of his filet knives with AEB-L steel.a couple years ago.

It has stolen the show since I got it. Nice amount of flex for crappie and trout.

Yet rigid enough to handle boning out the ribs of bigger fish

I was just talking to a co-worker about ordering another just like it from Rosi

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are there any good $100-150 filet knives? Been looking to gift one, but there seems to be a price gap between Dexter/Victorinox and $200-300 customs.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JRaw
Are there any good $100-150 filet knives? Been looking to gift one, but there seems to be a price gap between Dexter/Victorinox and $200-300 customs.
The North Arm 6" is like $160 in Magnacut.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have Chicago cutlery fillet knives that I 've used for years. Work for me

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just my 2 cents so don't get you panties in a bunch over this.

I have made approx two dozen or so fillet knives and probably will not make any more.
I do not need any more.
I do not want my blade noodeling around while cutting. I want it to be where I point it..
So I make them a little stiff and am very happy with how they operate. Seems customers
have been satisfied also.
I used factory fillets for many years and they did the job just fine, so no negatives on them.
Those who like a highly flexible blade are welcome to their opinions.
It is like a Ford or a Chevy.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Both. Have had a bunch of dexters over the years on the boat and honestly haven’t tried any others to any real extent. Had Dan Crotts make me this one and used it twice in Hatteras and it’s sweet but no big game changer performance wise. Prettier though.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Fishbones knives is a great place to buy Dexter-Russel by the way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never honestly tried a high end fillet knife. Usually a 6" Rapala for stream trout , bluegill and crappie. 8" Buck 123 on bigger trout, catfish and small saltwater stuff . The Rapala has a thin flexible blade that works well on smaller stuff. I've had one for over 30 years and who knows how many trout it has cleaned.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Troutnut; 05/07/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Both. Have had a bunch of dexters over the years on the boat and honestly haven’t tried any others to any real extent. Had Dan Crotts make me this one and used it twice in Hatteras and it’s sweet but no big game changer performance wise. Prettier though.

Does that Crott's have flex in the blade? Very pretty knife btw.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nothing like the Dexter but some. About right for breaking down large fish.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, that's a nice knife. Very useful!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 12344mag, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,116
Posts18,464,530
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.