24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Been looking at some used Colt 1911s. I recall reading here that there was a stretch of years of Colt production that quality control wasn't that great. Which years and serial # range if available would that cover?

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don’t know what you mean unless talking post war commercial models.

Swifty
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Speaking on my own, I'd avoid anything made from about 1970 till about 1995. but I might be prejudiced a little bit. Those were the years of the vaunted '70 Series guns. I had several of them, and spent a lot of money making them work, too. Or making them more accurate AND work, whatever makes you happy. The '70 Series guns only lasted till about '83, but the Series 80 guns that followed on often had poor finishes. I currently have a 1991 gun built in Colt's Custom Shop that is no great shooter, and still not especially reliable, either. I also have a current production Colt .38 Super that's been brilliant. Colts either come out great, or piss poor excuses of a gun.
I've moved on, from being a "true believer" to just buying whatever floats my boat, but quite honestly, there are a gazillion other 1911 makers these days that make guns as good as, or better, than Colt.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Speaking on my own, I'd avoid anything made from about 1970 till about 1995. but I might be prejudiced a little bit. Those were the years of the vaunted '70 Series guns. I had several of them, and spent a lot of money making them work, too. Or making them more accurate AND work, whatever makes you happy. The '70 Series guns only lasted till about '83, but the Series 80 guns that followed on often had poor finishes. I currently have a 1991 gun built in Colt's Custom Shop that is no great shooter, and still not especially reliable, either. I also have a current production Colt .38 Super that's been brilliant. Colts either come out great, or piss poor excuses of a gun.
I've moved on, from being a "true believer" to just buying whatever floats my boat, but quite honestly, there are a gazillion other 1911 makers these days that make guns as good as, or better, than Colt.

The only “good” Colt70’s series models that I owned that functioned worth a damn was a Commander Model in 38 Super and a NM Model.

Personally, I avoid the Colt 1911’s manufactured in the 1980’s and early 1990’s like the plague.
The 90’s was when I started buying Les Baer 1911’s.

There’s many very good factory produced 1911’s available nowadays. Including Dan Wesson, Kimbers, Springfields, Rugers, ect. Even the budget Tisa 1911’s work extremely well.

Wonder what ole John M Browning would say today if he saw all of the fine variations of his invention that are available in todays market some 112 years later.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/05/23.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I wish I knew. This one I purchased in 2000, so maybe it was made in 99. It worked fine, then it didn’t, over a couple of years it was a bit of a pain in the butt. Replaced the ejector when it got too loose to be reliable, then it was the extractor, then I had to buy the tool to restake the plunger tube.
It seemed like it was a lost cause but finally got it working and it has been dead nuts reliable for a long time. Shoots great and I have grown to like it. Probably should have taken it to a real gunsmith but I learned a lot in the process.
I shoot bowling pin with it and just enjoy it at the range.
Seems most 1911s are good in today’s market.

36 rounds at 15 yards

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Been looking at some used Colt 1911s. I recall reading here that there was a stretch of years of Colt production that quality control wasn't that great. Which years and serial # range if available would that cover?

I wouldn't be concerned. IMO most of the issues were caused by bullet shapes like the 'flying ashtray' and the blame was misplaced on the guns. Once the bullet manufacturers put the ogive back where it was supposed to be the guns mysteriously were fine.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have a Colt 1991A1 that as near as I can remember was bought in 91' or 92'.. the quality is excellent. Especially the barrel.

It could be an anomaly. It's the only such pistol I've ever shot, owned, examined, etc ..

I shot a recent manufacture Colt Delta Elite a couple years ago. The pistol ran great and looked nice. But the mag release was way over sprung. Very hard to push.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I bought three Colt guns, the first was blue series 70 that was reliable but flattened case mouths on ejection. I was new to 1911’s and learning to shoot a handgun. It seemed accurate enough for my needs. The second gun was a stainless series 80 that was reliable if I used shooting star magazines and no doubt was more accurate than I was. After joining the navy I received a $1500 enlistment bonus that I put towards one of the new enhanced stainless gold cup’s that came out in 1990. This gun was very finicky feeding, the front sight came loose and needed factory repair and the roll pin holding the Elliason rear sight on broke. I made a new pin from a broken drill bit. Not long after Frank James wrote an article on a Les Baer Premier II. I saved up my money and ordered one and never looked back at Colt.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
672 members (12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 76 invisible), 2,688 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.