-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like one man ladderstands that are built wide. 30" seat.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
6x4, 5x5, 6x5 all acceptable. Key is being able to fit both boys with me. When I’m by myself I don’t usually last long in the blind anyway.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
6x6 would be my favorite.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like whatever size will keep me dry on those crappy Oct days.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by srwshooter

Same.

IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
We’ve gravitated toward 4 X 8’. Plenty of room for two and any extra gear or clothes.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
5x5 is just right for hunting alone, but I feel a little cramped when my daughter is with me, especially with a tripod shooting rest in the blind with us. 5x6 makes quite a difference, but my 6x6 is better yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like 4x6, as you can keep 2 roller chairs in it. 4x5 works well enough, but is a bit tight for 2 hunters. Very few of my stand locations have 4-way views, so I turn the stands to where a solo hunter never has to move long-ways across the stand to get to another window to shoot. I keep a length of 1x4 board in each of the bigger stands to give a shooter an adjustable center rail for the strongside elbow. A 4x4 stand is perfect for one hunter and I have several of those too.

Last edited by JPro; 05/10/23.

Now with even more aplomb
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I build them 5x6 with the roof being 6'7" in the front and 6'2" in the rear.
Plenty of room for 2 people and gear.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Last couple i made with 7’ in the front, 6’6” in the back.

Local discount / salvage lumber place usually has 4x7 sheets of siding..

Years ago, when the Masonite plant still made “Masonite” siding, you could buy the QA sheets ( had like a 2” hole cut in) for cheap. Like $3 a sheet.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
24"x 30"x 18' high

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by srwshooter

Yup. Lets you set your rifle aside while you glass, eat, pee, etc. They can be a chore to erect, but for a semi-permanent installation, they are very nice.

That said, I think Grandpa’s treestand days are pretty much over. The wife and I dragged one in a half a mile last year and got it up, but that’s getting tough, and probably the best “opportunity” for disaster. I’ll just have to relocate my efforts a bit to cover that doesn’t require man-made elevation.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Built eight 4x4 box stands 30+ years ago and they still work great. All our newer box stands we build are 4x6 and 6x8. Put a galvanized roof with a 6" overhang with a drip edge and keep them painted they'll last a long time.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life is good live it while you can.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
We made ours to seat 2 hunters but in a pinch 3 might fit.

Now days they get built 4x6 and they all have a 9x12 pitch roof so even with a hole it has to be a hard driven rain to get in.

They all also have a propane bathroom heater to make those cold days not be so hard to sit all day.

There is enough room to stand up in the center as i am/was 6'2".

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane
Open-air is my favorite size. whistle
Mine as well but once in a while on a cold wet windy morning I pull my old azz out the bed and go sit in a shooting house on a food plot or a blind on a logging road crossing.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
We have a variety of sizes from a small 4x4 box that's easy to swivel around in and shoot 300+ degrees in to "The Condo" which is big enough for a couple of people to camp out inside of. Then of course a variety of 17' ~ 21' tree stands scattered about. The main feature that most of our box stands have is that they're sometimes a bit over-engineered simply because the guys I hang out with like building stuff & breaking out the heavy equipment.

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by odonata
We have a variety of sizes from a small 4x4 box that's easy to swivel around in and shoot 300+ degrees in to "The Condo" which is big enough for a couple of people to camp out inside of. Then of course a variety of 17' ~ 21' tree stands scattered about. The main feature that most of our box stands have is that they're sometimes a bit over-engineered simply because the guys I hang out with like building stuff & breaking out the heavy equipment.

Wood goes to hell in a few years. I prefer metal, less work and lasts forever. I have platforms that are 40 years old. I took about 3 days to build the platform for this stand. Put it up one morning.

Last edited by hanco; 05/18/23.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco
Wood goes to hell in a few years. I prefer metal, less work and lasts forever. I have platforms that are 40 years old. I took about 3 days to build the platform for this stand. Put it up one morning.

Agreed! If it had been my project, I would have made different choices. When I showed up to help, there was a pile of lumber already there so I was just "the muscle" on this particular setup. I bought two really nice metal tree stands for my contribution.

This last deer season, a coworker was kind enough to invite me out to hunt on his family's lease but when I got there I was assigned a wooden stand that I had some serious doubts about so I stayed on the ground instead. Not my favorite material by a long shot having taken a hard fall one night after sunset when a wooden rung ripped off a ladder because of rotten screws. I think metal is the better investment & one serious injury will convince most people of that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The one I hunt out the most is a 6X6, and it is on a wagon where it could be moved if needed, but has sat in the same spot for 4 years. One of my granddaughters has usually hunted with me some, so the size is perfect. I had a 4X6 on 8 foot stilts that I'd hunted out of for many years, but it was blown over and pretty much destroyed during a strong wind storm. I'll build it back the same size, and probably move it. I also was given a piece of old playground equipment that would make a good 4X4 blind if I decide to work on it.

The reason I like the blinds I hunt out of are primarily for comfort and I don't have to worry about the deer smelling me. I have Little Buddy heaters in mine, and can sit there in whatever weather we're having, without having to suffer through the conditions. Believe me when I say that I've spent enough climbing trees and sitting up there precariously on a limb or a little piece of wood, afraid that if I moved, I'd fall. I've killed a bunch of deer like that over the years.........but hunting out of the blinds I use now, has been just as successful, if not more so.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I have a 4x8 with two office chairs, a small table, 8x12 shelf on the high side, small heater, stove and collapsible camp potty.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 50 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,330
Posts18,468,566
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.