Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
500 yard steel match 3", 5" and 8" steel circles, 10 shots in four minutes. I have loads using the 75 grain Hornady BTHP that shoot MOA in the Wilde it being a M4 barrel contour I can't expect much better. My current Grendel upper is configured the same and shoots about the same. So the plan is to order a heavier 20 inch barrel in one of the above choices. Another choice is my 700 Remington but it gives it's best accuracy with bullets that will not fit in the magazine and at 24 seconds a shot I don't think I am good enough to single load and shoot it fast enough with accuracy. Will most likely use LVR for a powder, any bullets that might prove to be best for this match?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

ARIC

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What’s the Remington chambered in? Could a rebarrel be worth it or mag mods to the 700 rather than building the AR platform?

“Lighten up Francis”
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rickt300
500 yard steel match 3", 5" and 8" steel circles, 10 shots in four minutes. I have loads using the 75 grain Hornady BTHP that shoot MOA in the Wilde it being a M4 barrel contour I can't expect much better. My current Grendel upper is configured the same and shoots about the same. So the plan is to order a heavier 20 inch barrel in one of the above choices. Another choice is my 700 Remington but it gives it's best accuracy with bullets that will not fit in the magazine and at 24 seconds a shot I don't think I am good enough to single load and shoot it fast enough with accuracy. Will most likely use LVR for a powder, any bullets that might prove to be best for this match?

Not too many guys answering your question. Personally I'd be looking at better than "moa" and probably even a different rifle. Also, when you say "moa", is that for 3, 5 or 10 shots? For a shoot like the one you are describing, I'd be looking for sub moa (3/4 at minimum and 1/2 moa would be even better) for 10 shots. You'll need that type of precision to ring the smaller steel plates at 500 yards. Keeping in mind a 3" target is slightly smaller than .6 moa at that distance.

The 2 rifles I'm thinking of would be a Tikka CTR chambered in 6.5 creedmoor, or an AR10 chambered for the same cartridge. From experience shooting at 500 yards, I'd want that higher bc pill from the 6.5 and good ballistics. A fast 6mm (6GT for example) would be great as well and have an edge over the creedmoor. However, those are not on your list.

With the CTR and a 10 round box magazine, it would be very easy to make those shots in the time allotment you have described. You don't need an AR platform for that, but you do need the mag capacity to help with time, rather than single feeding.

To give you an idea, here are some 500 yard targets for reference. Also, I'm showing paper targets because those do not lie. They tell the whole/real story:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you look at the outliers, you will see if I would have been just shooting at a 3" target at 500 yards, my hit ratio would be about 60%. If that would have been a 5" plate, the ratio goes up to 90%. An 8" plate would be 100%. That target was shot with a S&W M&P10 Performance Center 6.5 creedmoor.

My Tikka CTR would have been roughly the same because of my poor wind call:
50% hit ratio for a 3" target, 80% for a 5" target and 100% for an 8" target.

What it is going to boil down to is what rifle shoots best for you. Personally I would not use a slow Grendal or slow 6mm, and the reports of precision for the 6 ARC in the AR platform have not been stellar. That leaves you with the old tried and true 223 rem, out of the choices you give. However, I would not use the bullet you mentioned. They just don't shoot as well (IMHO) as a good SMK or TMK. 69 or 77gr pills. I know, others may argue, but I'd love to see their honest 500 yard targets.

Another thing is, how fierce is the competition? Is it a bunch of old club members or a fun day with the buddies out for some grudge matches? Or are you going to get some shooters from the big city clubs that shoot F class or highpower? For as many guys that claim to shoot at distance here, you sure are not getting a lot of responses. Good luck with your shoot. It would be cool if you would post pictures of your rifles capabilities at 500 yards, that would make it easier for us to discern which would be best to use. Hopefully you have some time to get it figured out.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Not too many guys answering your question. Personally I'd be looking at better than "moa" and probably even a different rifle. Also, when you say "moa", is that for 3, 5 or 10 shots? For a shoot like the one you are describing, I'd be looking for sub moa (3/4 at minimum and 1/2 moa would be even better) for 10 shots. You'll need that type of precision to ring the smaller steel plates at 500 yards. Keeping in mind a 3" target is slightly smaller than .6 moa at that distance.

The 2 rifles I'm thinking of would be a Tikka CTR chambered in 6.5 creedmoor, or an AR10 chambered for the same cartridge. From experience shooting at 500 yards, I'd want that higher bc pill from the 6.5 and good ballistics. A fast 6mm (6GT for example) would be great as well and have an edge over the creedmoor. However, those are not on your list.

With the CTR and a 10 round box magazine, it would be very easy to make those shots in the time allotment you have described. You don't need an AR platform for that, but you do need the mag capacity to help with time, rather than single feeding.

To give you an idea, here are some 500 yard targets for reference. Also, I'm showing paper targets because those do not lie. They tell the whole/real story:

If you look at the outliers, you will see if I would have been just shooting at a 3" target at 500 yards, my hit ratio would be about 60%. If that would have been a 5" plate, the ratio goes up to 90%. An 8" plate would be 100%. That target was shot with a S&W M&P10 Performance Center 6.5 creedmoor.

What it is going to boil down to is what rifle shoots best for you. Personally I would not use a slow Grendal or slow 6mm, and the reports of precision for the 6 ARC in the AR platform have not been stellar. That leaves you with the old tried and true 223 rem, out of the choices you give. However, I would not use the bullet you mentioned. They just don't shoot as well (IMHO) as a good SMK or TMK. 69 or 77gr pills. I know, others may argue, but I'd love to see their honest 500 yard targets.

Another thing is, how fierce is the competition? Is it a bunch of old club members or a fun day with the buddies out for some grudge matches? Or are you going to get some shooters from the big city clubs that shoot F class or highpower? For as many guys that claim to shoot at distance here, you sure are not getting a lot of responses. Good luck with your shoot. It would be cool if you would post pictures of your rifles capabilities at 500 yards, that would make it easier for us to discern which would be best to use. Hopefully you have some time to get it figured out.

Definitely a bunch of old club members. we are all over 60 if that is old to you. For sure neither of the M4 contour carbines would fill the bill. I have two Heavy contoured 20" 223 uppers that shoot pretty good, better than MOA but not much better with 10 shots (most of the time) I being the limiting factor. Possibly I should try the bullets you mentioned. I have some property where I can set up targets out to 600 yards so I certainly have a leg up on the competition. I wanted to use a cartridge that would not heat the barrel up too much shooting a shot every 24 seconds and that I could see my impacts. I do have a M700 in 260 Remington that is a tackdriver but the barrel contour is similar to the 24 inch Remington sporter contour and I figure it would not pass the heating up issue. The rifle mentioned previously is a 308 with a varmint contour barrel that I figure could stand 10 shots in 4 minutes. Possibly that rifle with a bottom metal change would be my best choice. You can shoot the ten shots at any of the three targets and the 8 inch target is one point, the five inch is two points and the 3 inch target is 3 points. It seems easy enough......

When you say 3 shots, 5 shots or ten shots inside of MOA my answer depends on how fast I am shooting. And my strategy would be to get the wind on the 8" target and then hammer the 5" target. If I have to cycle a bolt action and get my finger back on the trigger I figure that would knock several seconds off my time available for the next shot. In fact I am going outside right now and burn some ammo on my 200 yard range set up. The bench is 50 feet from my front door.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
It rained yesterday so there is no way to get into the property that I can shoot that far for a day or so without getting stuck. Serious mudhole, plowed fields.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Definitely a bunch of old club members. we are all over 60 if that is old to you. For sure neither of the M4 contour carbines would fill the bill. I have two Heavy contoured 20" 223 uppers that shoot pretty good, better than MOA but not much better with 10 shots (most of the time) I being the limiting factor. Possibly I should try the bullets you mentioned. I have some property where I can set up targets out to 600 yards so I certainly have a leg up on the competition. I wanted to use a cartridge that would not heat the barrel up too much shooting a shot every 24 seconds and that I could see my impacts. I do have a M700 in 260 Remington that is a tackdriver but the barrel contour is similar to the 24 inch Remington sporter contour and I figure it would not pass the heating up issue. The rifle mentioned previously is a 308 with a varmint contour barrel that I figure could stand 10 shots in 4 minutes. Possibly that rifle with a bottom metal change would be my best choice. You can shoot the ten shots at any of the three targets and the 8 inch target is one point, the five inch is two points and the 3 inch target is 3 points. It seems easy enough......

When you say 3 shots, 5 shots or ten shots inside of MOA my answer depends on how fast I am shooting. And my strategy would be to get the wind on the 8" target and then hammer the 5" target. If I have to cycle a bolt action and get my finger back on the trigger I figure that would knock several seconds off my time available for the next shot. In fact I am going outside right now and burn some ammo on my 200 yard range set up. The bench is 50 feet from my front door.

Good stuff Rick. My best suggestion is to shoot some rifles side by side in the same conditions. I do that all the time to make unbiased comparisons. The targets will tell the real story. I was just doing that, the other day, with my new to me 308win, one of my 6.5 creedmoors (with 147 ELDM) and my fast twist 22-250 (with 88 ELDM). The creed whooped some azz, and honestly I had very high hopes for the Winchester model 70 308 using 175 SMK's. When doing those side by comparisons, I'd look at things like wind drift, or how the wind affects the accuracy of the bullets and also group size. When I say "winds", I also mean head winds and tail winds as well, because those also have an effect on POI..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No brainer...............6mm ARC.

500 yards isn't really long & trajectory isn't an issue, but the 6mm has a little more than half the wind drift as the 75 gr 223 Wylde at that range.

Kinda just depends on what you want & need in your stable.

The 224 Valkyrie with 88's is very similar to the 6mm ARC as well.

Don't cheap out on the barrel either..................if you're not in a big hurry, a Rock Creek button rifled barrel from Craddock Precision is still fairly reasonably priced; if you want a bit longer accuracy life for about 30% more $$$. step up to the cut rifled version of the Rock Creek barrel.

Or an off the shelf barrel from White Oak will also suffice for about the same as the RC button, maybe a tad less........I haven't checked exact prices in the last couple of months.

I have both in 223 Wylde & the 2 RC's that I have from Craddock get a very little edge over 3 or 4 that I have from WOA. Very slight.

JMHO & 2 cents.

MM

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well I forgot to mention this match is fired from prone. I put a 10 power SWFA on the AR, new from the last sale. turrets stiff at first but all went well. Took me a bit to get my rear bag set right and I also had to put together a front rest that worked for me prone. This led to a lot of getting down and getting up. Also had three discs replaced in my neck a few years ago and that required using a lower scope mount of which I had a Leupy one piece laying around. But the shooting went real well, didn't adjust for wind just to see what it was doing to my POI. Got it lined up pretty quick and was happy with a total group of 11 shots into 3 inches strung left to right. But then I went to my 308. Very good trigger, stock that works much better for me and another 10 power SWFA on top. Shot four shots almost touching in a left to right line. I quit because by then the unenjoyment of neck, shoulder, knee and wrist pain was taking it's toll. The 308 has a good bipod on it and that made things much easier. Still if I have to single load 10 shots in four minutes is out of the question. I will work on getting used to shooting prone but won't make the May shoot. Think I will find a magazine setup that holds 10 rounds in the interim. Which one will give me the longest COAL?

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
No brainer...............6mm ARC.

500 yards isn't really long & trajectory isn't an issue, but the 6mm has a little more than half the wind drift as the 75 gr 223 Wylde at that range.

Kinda just depends on what you want & need in your stable.

The 224 Valkyrie with 88's is very similar to the 6mm ARC as well.

Don't cheap out on the barrel either..................if you're not in a big hurry, a Rock Creek button rifled barrel from Craddock Precision is still fairly reasonably priced; if you want a bit longer accuracy life for about 30% more $$$. step up to the cut rifled version of the Rock Creek barrel.

Or an off the shelf barrel from White Oak will also suffice for about the same as the RC button, maybe a tad less........I haven't checked exact prices in the last couple of months.

I have both in 223 Wylde & the 2 RC's that I have from Craddock get a very little edge over 3 or 4 that I have from WOA. Very slight.

JMHO & 2 cents.

MM

Checked out the Craddock Precision site. Longest 6ARC barrel is 18 inches long and I would like to go at least 20 with rifle length gas. White Oak 6 ARC barrels are all 26".

Last edited by rickt300; 05/09/23.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Take the 18" & don't look back; those 500 yd targets will never know the difference.

An 18" w/rifle gas & fluted should come in right about 32-33 oz in an SPR contour & will handle like a dream.

MM

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Craddock will sell you a 22 inch Bartlein in 6 arc if that is your jam. They're big heavy bastards. But montanaman is right, an 18 inch 6 arc barrel should be plenty for anything you want to do at 500 yds.

Last edited by auk1124; 05/09/23.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by auk1124
Craddock will sell you a 22 inch Bartlein in 6 arc if that is your jam. They're big heavy bastards. But montanaman is right, an 18 inch 6 arc barrel should be plenty for anything you want to do at 500 yds.

I'd love to see how your 6 Arc rifles are doing at 500 yards. Can you guys post some pics?

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I'd love to see how your 6 Arc rifles are doing at 500 yards. Can you guys post some pics?

Spring just sprung in my neck of the woods. I'll get some tgt's once I get a little time away from the man.. 6 ARC is the easy button if you're not using a 5.56 in my opinion. 30 dollar a box ammo that'll shoot real darned well in an AR or Bolt hunt.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You could get off 10 shots in 70 seconds by single loading with a little practice. I've seen it done.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tyrone
You could get off 10 shots in 70 seconds by single loading with a little practice. I've seen it done.

I expect the OPs neck issues would impact that.

The F Troop guys can really machine gun their shots out, single loading, when the feel they have their condition.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Spring just sprung in my neck of the woods. I'll get some tgt's once I get a little time away from the man.. 6 ARC is the easy button if you're not using a 5.56 in my opinion. 30 dollar a box ammo that'll shoot real darned well in an AR or Bolt hunt.

Thanks Scotty. I'm glad you commented. As I was thinking about this thread yesterday, I was thinking about you and your 223 CTR. If you think the 6 ARC in an ar will outshoot your CTR, I'll believe you. Again, 3" targets at 500 yards. I shoot 2" targets at 400 on a continual basis and know a 3" target at 500 is not as easy as some guys make it out to be. The reason I asked for some target pics. Not talking about steel plate either because you have no idea how many shots were sent downrange. A nice big piece of paper tells a better story. Or even a standard 8 1/2x11 sheet of paper like I post a lot.. I've posted some good 3 shot groups at 400 on steel even, like the yote I like shooting at. Take this one for example:

Hell of a good group (about 3/4"), but would have missed a 3" target. You really have to buckle down and know how to deal with the wind, to make consistent shots on a small target at that distance. I look forward to seeing some target pics posted where some of you guys can consistently keep them inside a 3" circle, at 500 yards.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

Thanks Scotty. I'm glad you commented. As I was thinking about this thread yesterday, I was thinking about you and your 223 CTR. If you think the 6 ARC in an ar will outshoot your CTR, I'll believe you. Again, 3" targets at 500 yards. I shoot 2" targets at 400 on a continual basis and know a 3" target at 500 is not as easy as some guys make it out to be. The reason I asked for some target pics. Not talking about steel plate either because you have no idea how many shots were sent downrange. A nice big piece of paper tells a better story. Or even a standard 8 1/2x11 sheet of paper like I post a lot.. I've posted some good 3 shot groups at 400 on steel even, like the yote I like shooting at. Take this one for example:

Hell of a good group (about 3/4"), but would have missed a 3" target. You really have to buckle down and know how to deal with the wind, to make consistent shots on a small target at that distance. I look forward to seeing some target pics posted where some of you guys can consistently keep them inside a 3" circle, at 500 yards.

Rest assured if I hit the 3 inch target with one of three shots at 500 yards I would have to open a Yuengling lager to celebrate! Especially from prone.

Last edited by rickt300; 05/10/23.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
3" targets at 500 would be great shooting for me honestly.

I'd give it a run with my CTR 223 if I had the chance as well. That rifle just plain makes some stuff easy.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

I'd give it a run with my CTR 223 if I had the chance as well. That rifle just plain makes some stuff easy.

The CTR is the one Tikka I would like to buy, though not in 223.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Low and behold turns out that us old creaky types can use shooting benches! Going with the 308 if it is not too late to sign in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Same here; that's .6MOA & on a good day 1 MOA or maybe a little better is about all I can consistently do.

Add a cross wind & 3" at 500 sure is not a gimme.

My point in my comment was that a round with almost half the wind drift as another is a plus, pure accuracy aside.

But the 6 ARC has some issues too, being sensitive to pressure is one of them & why I don't have one yet.

But it was on the OP's list............

MM

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
The greater the deflection per MPH of wind the slower cartridges have to live with means the error in guessing wind speed is magnified. The trouble being faster cartridges heat barrels up quicker. My 308 load will be deflected 1.85" per mph of wind. Does not take much of an error to miss even the 8" target. 5 mph.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Same here; that's .6MOA & on a good day 1 MOA or maybe a little better is about all I can consistently do.

Add a cross wind & 3" at 500 sure is not a gimme.

My point in my comment was that a round with almost half the wind drift as another is a plus, pure accuracy aside.

But the 6 ARC has some issues too, being sensitive to pressure is one of them & why I don't have one yet.

But it was on the OP's list............

MM

I always appreciate your honesty. I know some of you guys shoot really well and have more experience with the little 6 ARC. I know there have been threads on them here too, but were they really shooting that good? I also believe 79s gave up on the couple he was messing with because they were too finicky. Anything that is finicky is going to give you fits past 400 yards. I saw that with some of the slower 6mm's, like the WOA and more recently a 6x45 I messed with for almost a year. Fun little cartridges, but from my experience a fast twist 223 running 77's or even 69's work better when consistency matters. The reason I was thinking of beretzs with his little CTR.

I'm hoping the OP lets us know which one works best for him at 500 yards. It also sounds like he's decided to use his 308w. A great option for sure. I have a lot of respect for the 308w, as it has a good reputation for fine accuracy.

OP, keep us posted on how it works out for you. I also agree about your assessment of the wind. Hopefully you will be using a good high bc pill in your 308 that shoots sub moa for 10 shots. Also, you keep bringing up heat on the barrel. A good barrel will keep those bullets inside 1 moa or less even when it's hot. Correction, I should add that a properly glass bedded rifle with a good barrel and good load should keep them inside 3/4 moa (again that's 10 shots). Barrel heat would be the least of my concerns. A lot of guys make too much of that. If you have a rifle that is stringing them that badly when it heats up, you have a mechanical issue.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Getting ready to go outside right now and practice shooting ten in 4 minutes at 200 yards and use JBM's chart for a rough 500 yard sight in with the listed 20.2 inches high at that distance. Better get to loading and get the chrony out.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I find this schit fascinatingly HILARIOUS! Though poor poor(literally) Beezer,is still trying to get the good stuff in her 6x45 upper. Hint. LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

In "fairness",I reckon I don't shoot much over a dozen .243" bore chamberings,with the 243 Grendel WELL represented in halfa dozen or so rifles(Turnbolts and Krunchentickers). That being said,I've yet to see any of 'em "pressure sensitive",no matter the platform. Further,I'd state the 270's whistling 105/8/12's are fhuqking AMAZINGLY consistent. Hint.

HOPEFULLY Rickety will dangle a pic,of said piece of fhuqking schit. HINT.

Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some,as you gals guess and Google from the sidelines. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Said POS? Funny I took your advice and put together a Remington 700, Triggertech trigger, 10 power SWFA SS. I have three shouldered prefits for it, two 260 Remington and one 308 barrel. A picture?

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Beyond that I got it sighted in using 45.0 grains of BLC2, 168 gr. BTHP popped with a Federal large rifle primer, velocity 2670 fps. I should be on the paper at least at 500 yards. We are having a lot of rain last week and this week so no point in fighting the mud to set up a target at 500 yards out there. The corn might be too high anyway.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rickety,

No need to extoll that you've ZERO inkling to The Rifle...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You almost understand ring height and ring spread. ALMOST. The MOA/MOA glass is fhuqking HILARIOUS,you Brokedick CLUELESS Fhuqk. Hint. LAUGHING!

NO fhuqking "wonder" you NEED to steal avatars. Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Rickety,

No need to extoll that you've ZERO inkling to The Rifle...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You almost understand ring height and ring spread. ALMOST. The MOA/MOA glass is fhuqking HILARIOUS,you Brokedick CLUELESS Fhuqk. Hint. LAUGHING!

Hint.

Well I ordered that scope when all they had in stock were the MOA versions. The last two ordered are the correct Mil-Quad variety. Yes I have to agree with you that the Mil-Quads are a far better reticle design. I thought about moving the front ring forward one more but since it was shooting satisfactorily and eye relief works for me I left it alone, not as picky as you are. Getting back to the reloading bench.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Rickety,

Hint.

Hell I would have found another already but though that is not an avatar it seems to annoy you and that is good enough for me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rickety,

Your keyboard is slurring,as you "justify" your being a Thieving Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for doing your BEST though.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Go put some rounds down range Stick, sitting on your couch taking pictures of your floor makes you look like your ragged out old hat.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Said POS? Funny I took your advice and put together a Remington 700, Triggertech trigger, 10 power SWFA SS. I have three shouldered prefits for it, two 260 Remington and one 308 barrel. A picture?

Looking damn good. Just keep in mind that it being off zero that much, you won't be on a 5" target at 500 yards. Of course you already know that. That's not even considering the wind.

Stick's a good "rock" shooter, but he's like some of these guys and have no clue what it's like hitting a 3" target at 500 yards consistently..

Just sayin

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
As for the wind looks like I am going to be trying to train my Grandson to spot for me. I hammered out a couple of 10 shot groups in the allotted 4 minutes single loading. No problem from the bench. The second set with a sight correction was still under two inches. Of course the wind was very light and coming from behind. If the rain doesn't stop me I will hammer out 4 sets of 10 in 4 minutes tomorrow and get Drake into the fundamentals of how I like to be spotted for. Be nice if the wind picked up a bit. Oh yeah tomorrow is Mothers day.........bet I can still get away with it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You Do NOTHING Kchunts would need a coupla co-signers,just to keep pace with the primers. Hint.

At least you gals can "afford" to "live" vicariously...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The MOA/MOA glass is fhuqking HILARIOUS,you Brokedick CLUELESS Fhuqk. Hint. LAUGHING!
Can't figure out MOA. LOL! Can't say I'm surprised. 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

It's no wonder that Fug Stick hasn't competed in a single match in his life, much less won one.

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
As for the wind looks like I am going to be trying to train my Grandson to spot for me. I hammered out a couple of 10 shot groups in the allotted 4 minutes single loading. No problem from the bench. The second set with a sight correction was still under two inches. Of course the wind was very light and coming from behind. If the rain doesn't stop me I will hammer out 4 sets of 10 in 4 minutes tomorrow and get Drake into the fundamentals of how I like to be spotted for. Be nice if the wind picked up a bit. Oh yeah tomorrow is Mothers day.........bet I can still get away with it.

Rick, you still shooting 200 yards, or did you manage to get to the 500 yard spot?? I had to fix the bench on one of my 1,000 yard shooting spots today:

The 1,000 yard target:

This is what they looked like yesterday. 750, 850 and 1,000 yard plates. The 1,000 yarder needed to be fixed:

Some needed new posts, so I fixed them today.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Rick, when you get a chance to get out to your 500 yard area, post up your results. I went out yesterday, with the girlfriend, and shot out to 1,000. Set my paper F class repair center out at 600 yards and fired these 5 shots with the CTR 6.5.

Wind wasn't horrible, but I wanted to tag the 1,000 yard steel plate, as conditions were good, and moved off the 600 yard target pretty quickly. I wanted to put it at the 500 yard plate, but screwed up and set it at 600 instead!! Had that been a 3" target, I would have only made 2 hits. I'm curious to see how your rifles are doing, and which one you decide to use. 308 win is a great choice, but like I said before, the 6.5 will walk all over it. Even at 400 yards, if the wind is an issue..

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tyrone

I would go with the AR/6 ARC. But if the OP wants to use his M700 with the longer bullets, AICS mags/bottom metal rings the bell. My 223AI is set up that way.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
92 members (10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 16penny, 15 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.