Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just purchased my first 223 S/A, I am following the other threads for tips, but I need to figure out the best way to trim volume of brass for it. I have a Forster and an RCBS case trimmer already, what are yous guys using?

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have an RCBS power trimmer with their 3-way cutting heads.

There is probably a method, or adapter, to put a cordless drill on one of your manual trimmers.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Giraud that is awesome except for one thing. Holding the brass in the trimmer is tough on my delicate hands.

I'd buy a Henderson if starting over.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dillon 1500….. works for me

Ask for forgiveness......instead of permission
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Higginez
I have a Giraud that is awesome except for one thing. Holding the brass in the trimmer is tough on my delicate hands.

I'd buy a Henderson if starting over.

high volume trimming especially with smaller cases this is checker...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
I have an RCBS power trimmer with their 3-way cutting heads.

There is probably a method, or adapter, to put a cordless drill on one of your manual trimmers.

Yep, I use this one on the same setup you have

https://www.dacamreloading.com/cube/rcbs-power-adapter.html

RCBS makes this one

https://www.rcbs.com/case-processing/accessories/power-drill-converter/16-98930.html

Both are much cheaper than a new trimmer. Also would recommend the 3 way cutters as they work very well.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How often- as in how many firings do you guys find you need to trim brass? I'm only on two or three firings on most of my 223 brass and some of it is still virgin brass, but haven't noticed enough movement yet to trim brass.. hoping my 223 AI won't need it any more often than the parent cases but time will tell...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
At MOST,I trim 223 once during it's life cycle. Bushing dies less an expander ball and Lapooey Virgins for me. Hint.

Cerrosafe anwers alotta questions and nips things nicely. Hint.

I can't remember the last time I trimmed a 223AI case. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 673
Just purchased my first 223 S/A, I am following the other threads for tips, but I need to figure out the best way to trim volume of brass for it. I have a Forster and an RCBS case trimmer already, what are yous guys using?

.223 is one of the few cartridge that the RCBS X dies are still available for. That has been my solution since they came out. I trim once then never again. Some of my brass has been fired 12-15 times in an A/R, some upwards of 20 times in a bolt gun. Nope, not sure where that brass goes with the X die but wherever it goes it is not causing me any problems, the 700 varmint is shooting roughly quarter inch groups with the 60 grain Hornadys and the AR is around half inch with a couple loads, sub MOA with many.

For other cartridges, and with the first trim on .223, I mostly use lee's trimmer chucked in a cordless drill. I've been tempted to upgrade to an RCBS power trimmer but since this is good enough for my volume it's hard to justify taking up bench space.

The biggest thing I'd suggest so far as minimizing trimming is to brush the case necks first to get rid of the powder / primer residue .. I've gotten sloppy at times and it turns brass prep from easy into quite a bit of work.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I crank the handle on a Hornady Trimmer. Kind of slow, but it works well.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the replies....Good to know the brass doesn't need excess trimming.
I may just continue with my current method (drill on hand trimmer) or......I am curious about the Lee Deluxe power quick trim with the appropriate quick trim die for 223....seems reasonable for price, well under 100 bucks. I only need it for the 223.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 673

Lee doesn't make a single fhuqking thing,which isn't a steaming pile of fhuqking schit. Hint.

"Brass" and "volume" don't connect ANY dots. Are you trying to "swoon" floor swepped schit from a "range"? Details fhuqking matter. Hint.

Again,Cerrosfae is your friend,so you KNOW what in the fhuqk you are dealing with. Hint.

Thank me later.

Just saying.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Do you FL resize or do you neck size?

I avoid trimming frequency by using a Lee collet neck sizer.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by 673

Lee doesn't make a single fhuqking thing,which isn't a steaming pile of fhuqking schit. Hint.

"Brass" and "volume" don't connect ANY dots. Are you trying to "swoon" floor swepped schit from a "range"? Details fhuqking matter. Hint.

Again,Cerrosfae is your friend,so you KNOW what in the fhuqk you are dealing with. Hint.

Thank me later.

Just saying.

Hint.................
Yes range brass, my buddy has a 5 gallon pail of it out of his rifles, that is why the Lee trimmer looked pretty good because then it is all exactly the same, chamfered inside and out. Thanks lol.

Last edited by 673; 05/08/23.
673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Do you FL resize or do you neck size?

I avoid trimming frequency by using a Lee collet neck sizer.

P
I partial full length size most brass for a variety of cartridges, but haven't reloaded for the 223 yet, just looking for the most efficient way to trim a 5 gallon pail or more brass.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have to use the SB dies for my semi autos. I have four AR rifles and three are Varminter and one is the 20” barrel open sights. The other Full Length dies I have don’t seem to cycle like they need to. When I trim, I use the Hornady manual trimmer and do just fine with it. I would love to have something electric, but I’m not there yet. I do see the advantage it has, but I only do about 200 at a time and can keep up easily. I tell myself that I’m better off spending the money on the expensive 69 grain bullets over the equipment. I trim to 1.742 if that means anything. Trimming is a must if you plan on crimping and it helps if all are on the knats ass. It’s such a big sizing of the brass when using the SB dies that I expect to only get about 4 loads per piece before they are used up.

For my S/A or short action 223 rifle, I bump the shoulder and use the equipment and methods I mentioned for the semi auto or S/A rifles. I get an unknown amount of reloads out of those. I’m on 12 loads with some of my brass and showing no caution signs.

If your goal is to trim and prep a chit ton of brass like 5 gallons at a time, I would say you’re better off with something electric.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
As Stick noted, the .223 AI is the easy button for saving trim-time.

If you don't want to go that way, an electrically-powered trimmer where you push the case neck/shoulder into the trimmer is fastest. Traditional trimmers where every case has to be inserted into a rim-holder are the slowest--even if electric.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Floor sweep Brokedicktitude ain't my jam,but it's funnier than fhuqk to read about. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Forster trimmer, power adapter and an electric drill. It goes pretty fast.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Little Crow WFT

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I use the little crow as well.... works good enough for me.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
At MOST,I trim 223 once during it's life cycle. Bushing dies less an expander ball and Lapooey Virgins for me. Hint.

Cerrosafe anwers alotta questions and nips things nicely. Hint.

I can't remember the last time I trimmed a 223AI case. Hint...............

Heck Stumpy, you're drunk most the time... you can't even remember what you had for breakfast or the last time you choked your chicken in the outhouse, and left the front door open.... for the world to see and laugh about...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Easy on Johnny one note. Lol.
He's a real hard charger.
It's a struggle, balancing getting the last word in to befoul every post with countless cut and past out of the endless files on us all, and virtual long range shooting competitions, "winning" with BC, OAL, and BS

673 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the idea's, I looked at all of the ones suggested.

I may just put a drill on my Forster trimmer for now, my RCBS hand trimmer has a real poor cutting head and I'm not sure about spending any $$$ on the RCBS.

Money spent on a good trimmer is money well spent.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 673

I may just put a drill on my Forster trimmer for now, my RCBS hand trimmer has a real poor cutting head and I'm not sure about spending any $$$ on the RCBS.

Dirt cheap get er done option, for those with a case prep station: Lee 223 case length gauge and cutter, plus Lee 8-32 thread cutter adapter.

Slower than other options, as you are only trimming at the rpm of a case prep station, but it will get your brass trimmed for about 13 or 14 bucks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a couple of the Little Crow WFTs and they work very well. If doing it over I'd buy a Giraud Tri Way for high volume brass trimming.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by MikeS
I have a couple of the Little Crow WFTs and they work very well. If doing it over I'd buy a Giraud Tri Way for high volume brass trimming.

The Little Crow WFTs work very well, and so does the Giraud with the Tri-Way cutter.

Might also mention that the Tri-Way also fits in the similar Gracey trimmer. Discovered that after getting a really good deal on a used Gracey a few years ago.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by auk1124
Originally Posted by 673

Dirt cheap get er done option, for those with a case prep station: Lee 223 case length gauge and cutter, plus Lee 8-32 thread cutter adapter.

Slower than other options, as you are only trimming at the rpm of a case prep station, but it will get your brass trimmed for about 13 or 14 bucks.

Yep, works here.

Old guy, old guns.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Loading 223 in volume is what caused me to buy a Giraud. Yeah, its expensive. I can trim 15-16 cases per minute at a sustained rate and maintain .001 tolerance. It can be a little hard on the fingers but a rubber glove helps that a lot.

The Henderson looks interesting but I had the Giraud before the Henderson came out and I won't be changing.

lightman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Little Crow WFT
I chuck a Crow WFT into my drill press and I rarely spend more than 5 seconds on each piece. Although, I have to chuck up the chamfer tool to get rid of the ridge inside of the case after trimming it in the WFT. I have another tool that eliminates the ridge on the outside of the case. I also chuck it up in the drill press as well. I did buy one of the RCBS hand crank trimmers recently. They aren't perfect but they work well enough on several types and sizes of cases.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
For the 223 and the Blacky used in the AR I use the worlds cheapest trimmer.

http://www.newhighpower.com/brass-trimmers.html

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For 223 getting the chamfer done at the same time is such a timesaver, it makes the tri way worth it if you do any volume.

I really like the worlds cheapest trimmer for other cases that aren’t as high volume. It’s just another step to chamfer but the trimmers are pretty sweet for $20.

Sean
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I use a Wilson.
It's slow, but I'm never in a hurry

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
...I can't remember the last time I trimmed a 223AI case. Hint...............

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
As Stick noted, the .223 AI is the easy button for saving trim-time.....

Trimming...actually the lack of....is THE reason I love the .223AI for large volume shooting. Low recoil, small powder charge, choice/availability of projectiles and brass, efficiency, accuracy, barrel life....I like all those things. I love less trimming.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,547 guests, and 708 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.