Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
What about Craigslist or that Alaska Gun LIST thing.....??

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
BP-B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
A couple weeks ago I put two rifles and a pistol on Alaskas list for sale. I think I must have priced the pistol too low as I started getting texts on it within a hour and the next morning had a cash offer in hand. The two rifles were open to trade and made trades on both in less than a week so Alaskas list worked very well for me.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Working fine for me

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
As long as you plan to pay, ak list works, sort of. Just realize that you are giving your phone number and email to a pos that has no problem holding it for ransom. You will likely get automated emails/text messages attempting to nag you into paying, if said pos decides that you need to pay him. He also edits ads without the poster's knowledge or permission. This seems to happen especially with firearms ads, where he does a poor job of adding details like chambering, as he seems to not really be a gun guy.

He will also not allow you to delete your ad if he decides that you have somehow wronged him. That is surprisingly easy to do as he has skin like parchment paper. So, even though you have blocked him, you will potentially have strangers calling you for years. An interesting side effect of this strategy is that much of what is listed on alaskaslist is not actually for sale. If you call someone about any ad that is not brand new, you are likely to talk to a very frustrated and annoyed person who sold that item (likely on Craigslist or Facebook) a long time ago.

He will then hide behind the terms of service like the worst kind of lawyer. It's a shame, as the site is good enough and it would be nice to have a local place to sell guns etc. Sadly alaskaslist remains a dumpster fire.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Facebook is the new "trading post". I don't do Facebook.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
cwh2, are you saying the owner does that or a hacker gets into the free part to mess with people?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Used Alaska list one time did the free add thing owner came back wanting 1.99 to remove my add because he said nothing is free and its taking up space on his server . When I told him I wasn`t paying I got like a 8 page letter calling me a nazi and whole lot of other [bleep] totally unreal, what a A-hole this guy is. Now I`m using Guns Alaska adds are free and I have had no issues and have sold quite a few rifles etc this year. Just have to set up a user account and its all good. And you can go in and edit adds you place with no issues.

Last edited by aaron10; 05/09/23.
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by cwh2
As long as you plan to pay, ak list works, sort of. Just realize that you are giving your phone number and email to a pos that has no problem holding it for ransom. You will likely get automated emails/text messages attempting to nag you into paying, if said pos decides that you need to pay him. He also edits ads without the poster's knowledge or permission. This seems to happen especially with firearms ads, where he does a poor job of adding details like chambering, as he seems to not really be a gun guy.

He will also not allow you to delete your ad if he decides that you have somehow wronged him. That is surprisingly easy to do as he has skin like parchment paper. So, even though you have blocked him, you will potentially have strangers calling you for years. An interesting side effect of this strategy is that much of what is listed on alaskaslist is not actually for sale. If you call someone about any ad that is not brand new, you are likely to talk to a very frustrated and annoyed person who sold that item (likely on Craigslist or Facebook) a long time ago.

He will then hide behind the terms of service like the worst kind of lawyer. It's a shame, as the site is good enough and it would be nice to have a local place to sell guns etc. Sadly alaskaslist remains a dumpster fire.

THANK YOU. That is what I feared might still be the case. Thanks for the warning.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
last winter I tried to post rifle powder for sale, stuff I wasn't gonna use and figured someone might need it

6 cans of powder in my pic for one ad, all priced the same, just call or text for availability

the guy blocked my ad and said I had to make a seperate ad for each can of powder, with fees for each ad !!!

Wasn't worth it .... I ended up selling the powder free of fees via conversations with people in Arctic Ammo & Sportsmans warehouse

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't see myself ever using Alaska's List again. Life is short.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter

Same here.

Guns Alaska is too easy to not use, and void of the BS

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter

Same here.

Guns Alaska is too easy to not use, and void of the BS

Agree, it has only a small following, but it works.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
Alaskalist is Mike Baker I believe, a special kinda douchebag who likes to exercise his control... its his site, so I guess he can do what he wants.

It can get weird, sometimes he requests payment to delete a ad. Which is why some ads just never go away.

I have replied to ads on AList, but have had better luck posting and selling on Guns Alaska, at least so far and my experience has been minimal.

Like all chit on the net, it can be fraught with scammers, texters, lookey loos and just general weirdos

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
J
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
cwh2, are you saying the owner does that or a hacker gets into the free part to mess with people?

Mike Baker the owner is a world class retard

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I’ve used it considerably to buy/sell/trade firearms, but as stated by many already, it hasn’t been without frustration. I still continue to use it because it reaches such a large audience and does indeed work, but it’s a shame there’s all the goofiness and negativity associated with the site. Could be such a neat thing. I’ve heard of a lot of people swearing never to use it again, and I don’t blame them.
My biggest gripe is the whole editing of the listings. I feel that especially if I lay down $4 for a featured ad, then that ad should say exactly what I write, word for word in the title. It’s almost always edited to something else, and sometimes that change can be detrimental to the sale, in my opinion. For example Kimber of Oregon just listed as “Kimber”. From there that’s it. Good luck getting it changed to what you want, let alone a response

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by johnn
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

Mike Baker the owner is a world class retard
[quote=johnn]

Good to know, I’ve bought off it, but haven’t posted anything. I was wondering why nothing ever got deleted.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As an average,I'd reckon I buy (10) guns a year from said site. Hint.

Obviously,I'm not placing ads and simply find the arrangement rather handy. Thus far,I've only used Yankee Greenbacks and hand written checks,to conduct said business. Hint.

Just sayin'............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
To be fair, that's the lowest number of any site you buy from in the state.

I've bought from there as well, and don't plan to change that. As a buyer, you have nothing to lose. But I don't list anything for sale there. I agree that the format works nicely, long as nobody bothers the man behind the curtain.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I’ve bought things off of Alaska List. Will use it again, the biggest issue is the ads not getting deleted! I sent an email to the owner about ads not getting deleted and the guy went into a tirade…

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The issue with ads not getting deleted is almost entirely the sellers fault,

they post an ad to sell something, sell it .. then expect the website owner to play mommy and come clean up after them

He clearly states that you must save your ad log in info and manage it yourself

I've bought reloading stuff & guns from ads on Alaska List and after the meetup/purchase.. the ad is gone before I get home, the seller logged in and deleted his own ad ....

Imagine that ? the horror of being responsible for your own shyte

some peoples kids still want their butts wiped

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
680 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 81 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 1,409 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.